Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XK Glow LEDs on FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 AM
iqbaliqbal
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default XK Glow LEDs on FXDL

Hi guys - anyone install an XK Glow (or similar) LED kit on their Dyna? I'm looking for suggestions, hopefully along with pics, for placement spots.

Also curious where you mounted the activation switch?

Thanks in advance for you input!

Old 08-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I haven't installed xk led's but I have had a few of my customers ask me to install led strips. I always recommend/use the ones from Autozone/advanced auto/Murrays. They stick on with 3m tape, they only cost about 20 bucks, and I've never had a comeback due to part failure or the tape coming loose. The ones I use are 12 inches long but they come in various lengths and you can cut them to fit.

Anyway, I've installed them on a few Dynas and sportsters, a street glide, and a road King. It's up to the customer where I run them, but so far everyone has wanted them under the tank. On the bottom side of the tank, there's a lip where it sits over the frame, so I stick them inside that lip so the actual led s aren't visible, but they still light up the motor. I also install an accessory plug so they're fused, and on at all times. Two customers wanted an on/off switch. The one who had a sportster just wanted the switch sticking out behind the fusebox cover, but the one with the road King had me drill a hole into the console and install the switch there. I don't have any pictures unfortunately so hopefully this helps a little.

You can put these strips literally anywhere. Also, they are far less expensive than any other led kit and they perform/last just as well.

Where do you want them on your bike?

Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry theses pictures are a little shitty but hopefully they help a little. These are the most common places people have had me install led lights. I like the look of them under the fuel tank, but not when people put em all over the bike. Under the tank is easy to hide the strips and wires. When I install them, I prefer to do it so nothing is visible except the light they emit. Under the tank is easiest because you just run the wiring with the factory wiring harness. I run the wires behind the wiring harness and secure it using thin black zip ties every 8 inches and you can't even tell they're there. Hope this helps.

This was taken from the right side of the bike, looking into the lip on the bottom of the tank on the left side.
Same thing only this is the right side of the tank taken from the left side.
Ave also installed two 6 inch strips under the battery box and fuse box on a street Bob. That customer wanted them everywhere but in my opinion it was just too much and it kind of reminded me of one of those fast and furious jap burner cars. He also wanted em under the fender, swing arms, and frame. It was overkill times 10. At least in my opinion.

Another shitty pic but here's my fiancés bike on the left, my old street Bob in the middle and my buddy's sportster all the way to the right. I installed them under the tanks directly to the accessory plug. Very easy and only takes about 15 minutes.

Last edited by Nickd2689; 08-21-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:31 AM
iqbaliqbal
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks NickD - this helps!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Np bud were here if you got questions or need direction.