Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 03:45 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts
Default New shocks!

After upgrading my forks to Ohlins NIX-22 (FKS-212) cartridges, I decided to get better shocks in the rear. The entry level S36e's are good, but after having the ability to fully adjust the fronts, I wanted that for the rears.

So I called Howard Messner and had him put together a set of 13.5" remote reservoir blackline Ohlins. They arrived today, so I naturally had to immediately install them.

I bought a cheap-o Ryobi 18v impact gun which makes life so much easier. Anyway, everything came off quick and easy, but it turns out I had to remove the e-series muffler. So that little pita notwithstanding, it took me about 30min for the whole job.

Actually remembered to measure the unladen length and set the sag once it was off the jack. Set the rebound and compression to the starting defaults per Howard's guidance and am ready for a ride.

I was initially expecting the added height to cause a lot of lean on the stand, but I'm not seeing it, so the money I wasted on a FXDX extended jiffy stand was exactly that, a waste... Oh well, to the classifieds I guess.

Unfortunately I had oral surgery this morning and the novacain is wearing so I'm going to treat myself to one of the Vicodins he prescribed me and relax. Probably not a good idea to ride, either in pain or on a narcotic.

I'll leave nice and early for work tomorrow and take the very long way there.

Anyway, here they are:

The following users liked this post:
Vec (08-19-2017)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:59 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 763 Likes on 528 Posts

Good rear shocks are a night and day difference for sure, first change I made on my bike, they look pretty good and will no doubt function even better

Old 08-08-2017, 06:11 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Nice! Can't wait to hear of any differences between the old and new.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:59 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

Very nice indeed! I personally would have sourced em elsewhere but hey, good score none the less. 👍🏼

Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 PM
brasher
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Hate to be a seagull but are you going to sell your old ohlins by any chance?

keen to hear what you think of the adjustables.

Last edited by brasher; 08-08-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 PM
rbdub474
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 218 Posts

I just installed a set of 13.5" piggyback ODC shocks on the rear of mine yesterday. Did some testing and adjusting today. Holy hell, these things make a world of difference. It is night and day better than the stock "Premium" HD shocks. And th Premium shocks are good for factory!

Can't wait to get my adjustable +2" inverted front end next month to compliment the rear set up.

Old 08-09-2017, 06:59 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Hey Mchad I'm running the same 13.5" Blacklines as you on a 16 Bob, love Howard by the way, I would like some info about your E-series pipe from FuelMoto. I talked with FuelMoto and they said I may have clearance issues with bottom shock bolt hitting pipe. Since you put the longer shocks on what is your experience with the bottom shock bolt and pipe clearance?
Thanks, Joe

Old 08-09-2017, 07:01 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,844 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Awesome sauce! Very curious to hear how you like the new setup. What was the length of your previous shocks?

Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by brasher
Hate to be a seagull but are you going to sell your old ohlins by any chance?

keen to hear what you think of the adjustables.
Seagull, I haven't heard that one before! I'm hanging on to them for now. Want to make sure the new ones don't need any changes (valving, etc) before I entertain selling the S36's. Besides, they are sprung for my XXL ***, you probably would need new springs, which makes used less appealing.

Originally Posted by JoeeJoee
Hey Mchad I'm running the same 13.5" Blacklines as you on a 16 Bob, love Howard by the way, I would like some info about your E-series pipe from FuelMoto. I talked with FuelMoto and they said I may have clearance issues with bottom shock bolt hitting pipe. Since you put the longer shocks on what is your experience with the bottom shock bolt and pipe clearance?
Thanks, Joe
Fuelmoto is correct. When up on my jack and fully extended, I had to remove the e-series muffler to get the bottom bolt in. When installed and on the jack (rear shock at the most extension) the bottom of the shock is a hair away from the muffler. If the shock can extend more, which I don't see how, but I could see it touching the muffler if I went airborne at any point. But I'm not worried about that. With the bike's weight there is about a 3/4" clearance, and with the proper 30mm rider sag plenty of room. I'm not concerned.

Originally Posted by rauchman
Awesome sauce! Very curious to hear how you like the new setup. What was the length of your previous shocks?
I got up a little late this morning. My usual biological 6am alarm clock didn't go off, probably due to the painkiller I took before hitting the rack last night. So I didn't get more then a 15 min ride into work this morning. Not a good route either, mostly glass smooth roads. However it still felt MUCH better then the S36e's. Much more compliant on the few bumps, while being rock steady. I don't know how to say a shock is plush and firm all at the same time, but somehow they are.

Still need to break in, and I need a hell of a lot more riding to make a real judgement. Also need to do the zip-tie thing to measure total travel/preload. But so far, really happy.

Edit: My previous were the standard 12" length. These are 13.5

Last edited by Mchad; 08-09-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:12 AM
izhd
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

These look nice, but super close to that bolt. I hope it's just photo angle.
I have cheapy Ohlins but in 13.5 - largest travel of them all, very happy with them, but would for sure try these out

Quick Reply: New shocks!