Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New shocks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:43 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Shocks

Originally Posted by Mchad
That's was the original comment/question I had. I had seen a member with his shocks mounted with the reservoirs on the lower side, I.e. Towards the front of the bike, and had questioned it. The Ohlins installation instructions said they should be the other way (reservoir on the aft side of the shock, thereby making it higher). I thought there was a reason for that, that's all.
Your shocks dog bones are angled out for whatever reason Ohlins has unlike other piggyback shocks. If you wish to put the ressys in front, they must have the angled part out for possible interference of the hard parts when the shock is naturally rotated. If you wanted to change and put the right side shock of the piggyback forward, you would have to switch from right to the left side to retain the piggyback being angled outward away from the frame.

Piggyback are separated and have only oil from the separator piston down to the seal head. The nitrogen gas is above the separator piston and does not mix naturally. Your shock is charged with 12 bar of pressure. There is no loss either way you wish to mount it.

The following 2 users liked this post by FastHarley:
F86 (08-16-2017), Mchad (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 10:05 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Your shocks dog bones are angled out for whatever reason Ohlins has unlike other piggyback shocks. If you wish to put the ressys in front, they must have the angled part out for possible interference of the hard parts when the shock is naturally rotated. If you wanted to change and put the right side shock of the piggyback forward, you would have to switch from right to the left side to retain the piggyback being angled outward away from the frame.

Piggyback are separated and have only oil from the separator piston down to the seal head. The nitrogen gas is above the separator piston and does not mix naturally. Your shock is charged with 12 bar of pressure. There is no loss either way you wish to mount it.
Thanks Howard. I'm fine, I had no interest in changing the mounting position. I was only communicating something I saw in another thread.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:39 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,540 Likes on 2,146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I just had a conversation with Howard Messner, who build these shocks for me.

I like them so much I now want them on my Road Glide. I currently have the new black line (his #2-2 I think) non adjustable. He said he can retrofit my existing shocks to give them rebound and compression adjustments and the hose connected remote reservoir needed for the bagger mounting. He said either my piston shaft would have to be machined for the needle valve needed, or it could possibly be ordered. That, some new internals, the external parts (hose, Reservoir, etc.) and some of his magic and I'll have the same shock for my Road Glide.

Obviously it will end up costing me more then if I bought it originally, but you live and learn. Buy right the first time. Don't cheap out like I did.

I'm glad to have Howard's technical expertise to allow me to save having to go out and buy new shocks!

Like I said to him, his stuff has ruined me for lesser suspension setups...

Who needs a retirement savings?
Update on this: Howard did some research and made the determination that this project wouldn't be cost effective. Basically the parts and labor to do the conversion would end up costing more then me buying the shocks outright, taking into consideration the offsetting of some of the cost with the sale of my existing Ohlins.

I like a vendor who tells it like it is, rather then trying to sell me on something.

Only problem is the 357's are backordered for months... Sigh. Oh well. Disappointed I have to wait months, but I guess I wait.

Last edited by Mchad; 08-16-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:02 PM
04 SE DEUCE
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Might be worth some wait time as the HD357 is the last model in the Harley line to get the updated piston (plusher). If your not in a hurry I believe that update is coming fairly soon.