Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter problems -07 street bob

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:22 AM
DM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter problems -07 street bob

Hi all

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this has been covered. My brother and I have just bought two new '07 Street Bobs. They are now three months old and we've covered about 4700 miles each on them. My brothers starter went at 1000 miles and mine started to go at 2500. His was replaced under warranty, which has thrown up it's own problems and I've been waiting (2 weeks so far) for a new starter to arrive at the dealer. These are our first Harleys and so far, whilst we love the bikes in terms of handling power and comfort we are not impressed with relibility or the dealer - BTW when I say the starter went this is what the dealer said - we have heard that it is a gear on the clutch that sheds teeth - one look at it it bits and I'd know but there was no way they would let me see the damaged stuff....

DM

Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Rocket350
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Starter problems -07 street bob

Yup - I was not too impressed either. Mine went out around 400mi. They said broken teeth on the clutch assy. They also said it was their 3rd '07 model they have seen with the same problem. I asked here on the board about it a few months back and seemed like I was the only one it happened to. I thought this would be apossable recall or something. The bill was like $500 or so, but of course they zero'ed the balance b/c of warranty.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Bluesrider
Tourer

DM..welcome to the forum. I have had my 07 FXDC for about 4 months now and I have had the started get stuck upon start-up twice. It made a pretty loud zipping noise for about 3 minutes and then just went away. I would really like to know how many people out there have had similar problems. Besides this issue, the bike runs great.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:43 PM
DM
6th Gear

We have been told of at least one other bike that this has happened to, so I guess that it is a problem that is going to get bigger as time passes and people rack up some milage. The noise it makes is a really loud grating, like when you acidentally depress the kick starter on an oldBrit bike when it's running! not nice!! To be honest in some ways it's a relief to know we are not the only ones. As a suggestion, would it be worthwhile to have a model/problem section? We all know the scenario when you go back to the dealer and he says " Honest, your's is the only one that's done that!"
I have some other problems with mine but I'll tell you what happens after the dealer has got back to me next week. Thanks for the welcome to the forum - I'll try and makeany contribution worthwhile.....

Old 06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, dm welcome,i to have recently bought a street bob ( 07 ) gotta say it,s a little concerning regarding the starters.Keep us posted on what happens.Why is it when your supplied with a bike with adjustable rear shocks they don,t supply a "C" spanner to do it? I,ve made my own up but jeez tight fisted or what.