Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal tooth cracking on rear belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM
jnmk58
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal tooth cracking on rear belt

While removing the rear wheel for a tire replacement in noticed hairline cracks along the inner teeth of the rear belt. Admittedly, I been ignoring the belt noise (My bad, I know), but I've inspected the belt on several occasions on the cracks just now became noticeable. My trusty repair manual suggests that it's a problem with the front drive sprocket and that the both the belt and the sprocket needs to be replaced. The belt, obviously, but what about the front sprocket? Can anyone confirm this diagnosis before I start buying replacement parts? Thanks folks

Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default belt/sprocket

I think running the belt too loose is the main cause for ruining the belt in the way you mention. It gets pretty pricey, so it's worth keeping the belt tension where it needs to be.

The manual says to change the front and rear sprockets when you replace the belt. I just went through it and it's a pain to change the front. Labor to do it is $$$$$.

The front sprocket is some type of steel and the rear is aluminum. I would change the rear out if it shows any sign of wear, but most likely you will be fine to just inspect the front sprocket.

The one on my 2013 still looked good at 110,000 miles, but I had already bought a new one and the tools to replace it, so I replaced it.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:37 PM
Tall Timber
Road Warrior
Received 425 Likes on 259 Posts

+1 on changing all three (Sprockets and Belt)

When doing wheel bearings we discovered my belt was shagged (at 80,000km) every tooth was flapping in the breeze only held on on one side.

I'm a firm believer in only digging one hole so we went through the whole driveline

It Was expensive: