Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy open battery cover bag

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:21 AM
ksummers
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Easy open battery cover bag

Hey guys, I am looking for a battery cover bag that's easy to open and securely close with one gloved hand. I work on an Air Force base and need to be able to pull my ID out, show the guard, and put it away easily and fairly quickly with one hand.

I currently have a magnetic tank pouch for a phone but the zippers are messing up the paint. Plus, I don't like that it is off center because of the dash piece either.

Is there anything out there that fits this description? I have reached out to Bad&G customs about putting a strong magnet in the lid or something but they didn't seem too keen on the idea.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:11 PM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 354 Likes on 233 Posts

Call Bad&G back and ask him about sewing some HD Velcro on and deleting the strap and buckle. I have a battery bag also and really would rather have Velcro.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:28 PM
ksummers
Cruiser

Velcro will end up being my last resort. I thought about using two magnets, one in the strap and the other in the bag, to hold it closed. It would be easy to pull open and, theoretically, would shut and "secure" itself on its own. The guy I talked to at Bad&G, Greg I think, said that he doesn't think that magnets would be strong enough to work through the thick leather they use. I have one of their saddle bags on the way that'll I'll test the idea with.

Last edited by ksummers; 07-20-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:30 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 350 Likes on 162 Posts

Another way to go is having a bag on your risers. I had a battery box bag, didn't like it always touching my leg when at a stop light. But your experience may be different.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM
ksummers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
Another way to go is having a bag on your risers. I had a battery box bag, didn't like it always touching my leg when at a stop light. But your experience may be different.

I'm planning doing with the stock risers and going with some 1.5" risers and apes. This crossed my mind tho.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:12 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

I always had to have my ID visible so I put it on a lanyard. It was part of my EDC. If it was hot and I didn't wear a jacket (my only stowage) I would tuck the lanyard inside my shirt so it didn't flap in the wind.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:58 PM
ksummers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cggorman
I always had to have my ID visible so I put it on a lanyard. It was part of my EDC. If it was hot and I didn't wear a jacket (my only stowage) I would tuck the lanyard inside my shirt so it didn't flap in the wind.
The guards here have to physically hold the card, fumbling with it with gloves on isn't easy lol.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:15 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Understood. If you're not opposed to some DIY, I'd suggest some neodymium magnets.

Just one example.

10 pound (each) pull force

http://appliedmagnets.com/strong-neo...gnets-c-1.html

The following users liked this post:
ksummers (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:25 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

An arm bank with a clear ID card holder always worked for me. Most of the time the guards would just flip it over without me having to do anything. On the rare occasion the guard made me take it out and show it to him I would put the kickstand out, shut the bike off, take off both of my gloves, pull the arm band off, pull the id out and hand it to him. Then all back in reverse, really taking my time to do so. The traffic at the gate backs up so bad I dont think I have ever had the same guard make me do it twice.

The following users liked this post:
Vec (07-21-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 05:30 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,742 Likes on 3,105 Posts

Originally Posted by cggorman
Be sure your lanyard has a " break-away" feature around your neck. We use these in the behavioral health unit at the hospital. A patient can grab it and it comes right off. Which, is better than a neck turniquet. (Whoops!)

Quick Reply: Easy open battery cover bag