Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to get a longer jiffy stand...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,532 Likes on 2,141 Posts
Default Need to get a longer jiffy stand...

Because I can't seem to stop myself, I just ordered a set of Ohlins BlackLine S36PR1C1L in 13.5" to replace the entry level 12" S36's on my LRS. Problem is the extra length is going to lean my bike over more then I'm happy having it sit. I had similar length shocks on my '08 FXD and it was way over. I eventually got a longer FXDX stand and that put it right were I wanted it.

So I ordered a 49710-94B from Surdyke. Small problem - its chrome, and that just won't do on my chrome-free FXDLS. So I'm going to have to have it powder coated black. Thinking maybe a mat black may be good, but the big question is looking at the service manual and parts diagram it looks like a PITA to change the stand out.

I have a J&S jack, but I also have giant meathook hands that I can't get into small spaces. Has anyone changed a jiffy stand and if so, how hard is it to get to the top bolt from under the bike if you have gorilla hands?

Thanks

Old 07-18-2017, 02:40 PM
turboc
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The only thing holding the stand in is the pin. The stand and pivot block come out as one assembly. Use some washers, quarters, whatever to put in the spring windings when open so it won't compress fully when closed. Makes it easy to remove the spring. Pull the pin, drop the old stand, put in the new, and then insert the pin in the same direction it came out.

Originally Posted by Mchad
Because I can't seem to stop myself, I just ordered a set of Ohlins BlackLine S36PR1C1L in 13.5" to replace the entry level 12" S36's on my LRS. Problem is the extra length is going to lean my bike over more then I'm happy having it sit. I had similar length shocks on my '08 FXD and it was way over. I eventually got a longer FXDX stand and that put it right were I wanted it.

So I ordered a 49710-94B from Surdyke. Small problem - its chrome, and that just won't do on my chrome-free FXDLS. So I'm going to have to have it powder coated black. Thinking maybe a mat black may be good, but the big question is looking at the service manual and parts diagram it looks like a PITA to change the stand out.

I have a J&S jack, but I also have giant meathook hands that I can't get into small spaces. Has anyone changed a jiffy stand and if so, how hard is it to get to the top bolt from under the bike if you have gorilla hands?

Thanks

Last edited by turboc; 07-18-2017 at 02:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mchad (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:15 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Changing out the jiffy isn't too hard, and with a J&S it will be an easy job

Obviously, the horse is out of the barn now since you've ordered a new longer jiffy stand, but you could have just used a Bung King jiffy extension with your original black jiffy; the extension is billet, just hit it with some black and you'd be good to go. Drilling the jiffy is easy to do and a template is included so you can get everything lined up correctly.

I though about the longer jiffy stands when I went +2" over Wide Glide tubes, but the Bung King extension works out great

The following 2 users liked this post by TinCupChalice:
Kirk57 (07-18-2017), Mchad (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by turboc
The only thing holding the stand in is the pin. The stand and pivot block come out as one assembly. Use some washers, quarters, whatever to put in the spring windings when open so it won't compress fully when closed. Makes it easy to remove the spring. Pull the pin, drop the old stand, put in the new, and then insert the pin in the same direction it came out.
Excellent, thank you. Service manual doesn't seem to make it that simple! Or at least when I first read it it didn't...

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Changing out the jiffy isn't too hard, and with a J&S it will be an easy job

Obviously, the horse is out of the barn now since you've ordered a new longer jiffy stand, but you could have just used a Bung King jiffy extension with your original black jiffy; the extension is billet, just hit it with some black and you'd be good to go. Drilling the jiffy is easy to do and a template is included so you can get everything lined up correctly.

I though about the longer jiffy stands when I went +2" over Wide Glide tubes, but the Bung King extension works out great

Yep, I saw that too late lol. Oh well. Whats another hundred.

Last edited by Mchad; 07-18-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 03:28 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 899 Likes on 599 Posts

Hey TinCup... Is the extension more likely to dig into softer surfaces than the wide flat part of the stand was?

I'm in a similar position as Mchad... I want to replace my stand with a black one. My length is fine (it's the original FXDX unit), but I want gloss black. I would powder coat this one, but it kind of mangled a bit... I bought a Drag Specialties gloss black stand a few years ago when I first got the bike, but didn't realize at the time that it would be too short. I can either do what Mchad is doing, or put a block on the black one I have...

Old 07-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by F86
Hey TinCup... Is the extension more likely to dig into softer surfaces than the wide flat part of the stand was?

I'm in a similar position as Mchad... I want to replace my stand with a black one. My length is fine (it's the original FXDX unit), but I want gloss black. I would powder coat this one, but it kind of mangled a bit... I bought a Drag Specialties gloss black stand a few years ago when I first got the bike, but didn't realize at the time that it would be too short. I can either do what Mchad is doing, or put a block on the black one I have...
I thought that when I first saw it, but it looks pretty much the same size as the surface contact point of the original stand. I would think it's probably fine in that regard.

The following users liked this post:
F86 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member

And just to say Tin, every time I look at your pretty bike I think "a nice set of chrome fans would look great on that..."

Old 07-18-2017, 03:45 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by F86

It doesn't seem to at all; my jiffy has always sat perfectly flat and the extension is flat on the ground as well. I've put her in the grass at times and she shows no signs of digging in. With the extension I lean the bike slightly right as I put the jiffy down, then hold the jiffy extended with my boot as I put the weight of the bike on it.

The only thing I've noticed with the extension is my driveway is a rough brushed concrete and the aluminum extension drags across it; my garage concrete floors are smooth so no issues there, but when I put her in the driveway, I make certain that jiffy is extended and locked

Old 07-18-2017, 03:47 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
And just to say Tin, every time I look at your pretty bike I think "a nice set of chrome fans would look great on that..."

Oy

Old 07-18-2017, 03:52 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Oy

Quick Reply: Need to get a longer jiffy stand...