Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear axle tightning

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 07:43 AM
hdfatbob12
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rear axle tightning

I just had new tires put on my 2012 fat bob and I'm reinstalling the rear wheel but I'm having an issue when I torque the axle nut. I'll get the wheel aligned and the belt tension set, then torque the axle nut and double check alignment and belt tension. The alignment moves after tightning. The nut side moves farther back. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to compensate for the movement? I have the service manual and have been following it. Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
jaxwillfixit (12-30-2023)
Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,739 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Are you pulling the wrench towards you when torquing the axle nut? Try pushing the wrench the other way and opposite side of the nut. This should snug the axle ***'y upon the adjusters.

tar_snake (01-02-2024)
Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 AM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't see how the axle can move rearward if both adjusting bolts have been set. One of the adjusting bolts must be not adjusted correctly before you tighten the axle nut. That's the only way you can get the results you are seeing.

tar_snake (01-02-2024)
Old 07-15-2017, 09:38 AM
hdfatbob12
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses, going to look into the adjuster blocks and make sure everything is correct. When I torque the bolt I'm pushing down on the wrench

Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

You spelled tightening wrong.

LOL!

Old 07-15-2017, 12:30 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by hdfatbob12
I just had new tires put on my 2012 fat bob and I'm reinstalling the rear wheel but I'm having an issue when I torque the axle nut. I'll get the wheel aligned and the belt tension set, then torque the axle nut and double check alignment and belt tension. The alignment moves after tightning. The nut side moves farther back. Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to compensate for the movement? I have the service manual and have been following it. Thanks.
As you're tightening the axle nut - put you chest on the wheel..., and put weight on it to keep the wheel / axle from moving back - while ensuring both axle sides are fully forward and solidly on the adjusters

Now - obviously ensure the bike is strapped down to the jack..., and the jack wheels locked - so it don't roll / come off the jack

Ghost

Old 07-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Rubline
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I would also readjust with the axle nut just loose enough so the wheel can be adjusted. You don't need to loosen the nut that much at all to adjust.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:54 AM
hdfatbob12
Intermediate

[QUOTE=Rubline;16434076]I would also readjust with the axle nut just loose enough so the wheel can be adjusted. You don't need to loosen the nut that much at all to adjust.[/QUOTE

I think thats what was causing the movement. I was loosening the axle nut to much. When I would snug it up you could see the swing arm pull in a tiny bit and then I would check alignment again and it had moved . I started checking with the nut tight and was able to get it where I want it. Wish they had a better way to check alignment and belt tension. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Kraken
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I tap the allen heads on the adjusters as I tighten with a mallet. Check that the bolt head hasn't moved and if it has I restart. I always double check the alignment afterwards. Someone makes some handy axle plugs for this purpose that are about $100 cheaper than the Jim's ones that you can find on eBay, don't even know how much Harley's version costs. They made the process easier for me because it's easier than trying to reapply tape to try to get the center of a hollow axle.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:46 PM
hdfatbob12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kraken
I tap the allen heads on the adjusters as I tighten with a mallet. Check that the bolt head hasn't moved and if it has I restart. I always double check the alignment afterwards. Someone makes some handy axle plugs for this purpose that are about $100 cheaper than the Jim's ones that you can find on eBay, don't even know how much Harley's version costs. They made the process easier for me because it's easier than trying to reapply tape to try to get the center of a hollow axle.
I actually started tapping the Allen heads with a rubber mallet also. Works good. I noticed sometimes the allen bolt was moving instead of the block. Mainly the brake side. I have the jims alignment plugs, got them cheap luckily. Also have the motion pro alignment jig. Leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks for the reply.

tar_snake (01-02-2024)

Quick Reply: rear axle tightning