Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Stalled Out on hill, burning smell, oil light, flashing lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017 | 01:09 PM
dr_pardee
|
Stage II
Default Bike Stalled Out on hill, burning smell, oil light, flashing lights

I'm a complete newbie to this forum and despite 10 years of riding, I am not very mechanically inclined.

I have a new Lower Rider S, only 800 miles. I was on steep ramp getting out of my parking garage and the gate wouldn't go up. I waited for about a minute and the gate finally began to raise. As I was about to exit, the bike stalled, I smelt a burning smell, the oil light popped on and my handlebar turn signals flashed. I leveled the bike sideways on the ramp, turned it off and on, but the bike wouldn't start. Late for work, I brought it back to my parking spot, lights flashing. I tried locking, unlocking steering column, and fiddling with different things to get the lights to stop flashing but they remained flashing. I had to take off.

Later I called HD of Glendale in LA. The person suggested my fob battery was dead or that I may have damaged the clutch, neither which made much sense. I called my father, he suggested since I was on the hill, the oil may have gotten into the cylinders. I'm gonna check on the bike after work. I Googled around but I didn't find anything online so I decided to join this forum and post. If you can suggest what may have happened or what I should do moving forward, I would be most appreciative. Thanks for reading this.

Eric

Old 06-29-2017 | 01:22 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member

Did it stall because you didn't have enough throttle or just died?
After it stalled and ignition is still on Oil Pressure light would be on because, not running no oil pressure.
They asked about your FOB battery because blinking lights and no restart is an indication of a security Lock-Out - bike not recognizing the FOB.

Hard to diagnose anything long distance.

Welcome to the FORUM

The smell was probably just LA.

Old 06-29-2017 | 01:34 PM
dr_pardee
|
Stage II

I believe it had enough throttle, it just sort of died.

I am very suspect that a fob battery of a 3 month old bike with 800 miles, which started the bike 15 minutes prior, instantly died. Why the security Lock-Out happened right after the stall out though, not sure? I hope it went off and doesn't drain my bike's battery while I'm at work since I don't have power in my parking garage, haha, LA life.

Thanks for the reply

Old 06-29-2017 | 01:38 PM
Robottom
Road Master

Call the dealer that you bought it from and tell them what happened.
It should be a warranty claim item and they might even have a pickup service.
If it's less than a year, ask them to put new batteries in the FOBs too.

When you pick the bike up after they finish with it, buy a service manual.

Old 06-29-2017 | 01:52 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

You got two fobs with your bike (if you bought it new, as it seems) try using the other fob to start it.

Old 06-29-2017 | 03:27 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

It's not that hard to change out batteries in the FOB, carry a spare in your wallet or somewhere on the bike. The oil light illuminated because the engine stopped and there was no oil pressure. The lights starting flashing because the bike "locked" the ignition system and you moving the bike caused motion that triggered the security. Just because the bike is three months old doesn't mean the FOB batteries are three months old. Learn your bike and call the dealer if you can't get it started. Good Luck.

Old 06-29-2017 | 03:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

I think the Low Rider S just got a recall out concerning a map in the ECM you should with the dealer on this. The "vinner" woke up a memory cell in this old mind.

Old 06-29-2017 | 04:39 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

When you were on the incline waiting for the gate to open, is it possible you were slipping the clutch slightly to keep the bike from rolling backwards, or were you using the brakes exclusively?

While I'm way less familiar with the newer bikes than many here are, I have trouble seeing how an issue with the key fob electronics could lead to a sudden mechanical burning smell...

Old 06-29-2017 | 07:19 PM
wagtenor
Advanced
Default Get it checked out at Dealer

I would have it checked out by the dealer. Once it gets a clean bill of health from dealer. I would cool the motor. On my 2016 LRS, I cooled it by installing Head fan and a fan equipped oil cooler.

What you described is similar to what I experienced on my bike when it overheated. Except I wasn't stopped on an incline. I stopped at a light in the heart of downtown.

I don't have the ECM map update from Harley, but the difficulty cranking was eliminated by installing a LiFE battery.

Good luck... enjoy that awesome LRS.

-Wag