Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXRT Fairing Performance??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 05:37 AM
LouM41
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FXRT Fairing Performance??

Contemplating purchasing an FXRT Style Fairing for my 2015 Street Bob. I currently run a HD 1/4 Fairing. I've been happy with the 1/4 fairing but would like something that performs/functions even better.

I have read the threads on FXRT fairings and have done my research. Can anyone who is riding with one give me a real performance review? With my 1/4 I still feel like I am getting blown around on the highway and would hope the FXRT may help with that?

Any input from those of you who have the FXRT Style Fairing would be great.
Thanks.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:49 PM
dirtbag32
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm curious about this myself. I'm going from a t sport fairing to a fxrt fairing with lowers soon and wanted to know if the bigger fairing helps with buffeting. I'm 5'7 and the t sport does well to keep the wind off of me but some people I know say that the fxrt fairing is much better. Anyone else have opinions on these? Buffeting, performance, weight to the front end, etc?

Old 08-17-2017, 03:44 AM
fxdx1985
Road Master
Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

I would also like to hear from someone that has run a quarter fairing and FXRT/P fairing just for the comparison.

Does the frame mounted FXRT fairing lighten up the steering/handling or does the extra weight make it kind of a moot point?

How about parking in tight spots and maneuverability for lane splitting?

What about maintenance? Do you have to remove those big behemoth anytime you want to service your forks?

Some extra wind protection would be nice and even though my favorite style is that OG Tsport fairing, I can't stand that literally every dyna runs one. I park at a bar or hot spot and there's just 19 dudes with a repop Tsport. I've really been on the fence about a Switchback or Road King just to diversify, but the FXRT fairing may be a nice middle ground. Keep the Dyna but have a full fairing....

Last edited by fxdx1985; 08-17-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:09 AM
CaptainHook
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly I'd think it all comes down to the windscreen size... I've ridden road glides with little screens that suck. You can get aftermarket windscreens for you 1/4 that make a huge difference.

I've used a 11" and 16.5" windscreen on my T-Sport and it was night and day difference.

Having a bigger fairing wouldn't seam to make a difference without a taller screen, assuming you're talking about buffing around your head.... Just my thoughts

Old 08-17-2017, 11:51 AM
bl_dg
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had an '85 FXRT with lowers, pursuit lights, and stock windshield. No buffeting even at highway speeds. Like riding in a pocket of swirling air, but no harsh buffeting. Very comfortable for all-day riding.

Can't say what a repop fairing on a newer Dyna would be like, but you should be able to make adjustments to suit.

It definitely will add some weight to the front, so maybe you'll need new springs or different fork oil to tune it just right.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:41 PM
sqrlnts
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No Dyna experience but I can talk to my FXR. I ran my old FXR from Phoenix to Cali and back on 2 different occasions.

First trip was with a very small headlight fairing a little smaller than the Arlen Ness. There was only a slight wind deflection from no fairing at all, could hardly tell it was there.

Second trip out was with my FXRT fairing. My RT fairing was an old factory piece with a factory windscreen. I didn't like the height of the windscreen so I cut it down with a dremel. It was approx 6-8 inches tall in the center. The protection provided was substantial. With no fairing I could feel the strain and fatigue in my stomach and back from the wind. No fatigue at all with the big fairing. I felt more like I was riding the bike instead of hanging on to the bike. I also felt like the bike was more stable at "elevated" speeds. Because I was not fighting the wind I could focus more on steering and body position vs being overwhelmed by the rush of triple digit wind blasting by.

You do notice the weight of the fairing at slower speeds but that quickly fades. Lane splitting in Cali was awesome. Three guys made the trip an old FL, a sporty and my FXRT. If the sporty or the FL were lead splitting the cars would not budge and it was a struggle at times. When I was leading the group and traffic was moving, cars would actually move over and give us a bit of room. I can only believe that people thought the bike was a CHP bike....

The only drawback I can see with a RT/RP/RD fairing is the cost. I also plan to put one on my FXDB in the near future.

The following users liked this post:
Hundskrüppel (10-28-2017)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:51 AM
Dynaglide2005
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Currently I'm running an 05 dyna with the fxrt Fairing with the 8" screen and going down the highway at 70+ is great. No buffering and barley any wind resistance

The following users liked this post:
GREENOHAWK69 (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 04:38 PM
z06elmo
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a low rider S and I rocked a Memphis Shades road warrior fairing with a tall screen. I now have an FXRT replica fairing with the 12" klock werks screen. It's a night and day difference. I would often ride the freeways here and experience some instability at higher speeds past 80mph with head or cross winds. It's manageable in the memphis shades fairing, but the FXRT you can just cut through the air. On my first ride with the fairing mocked up and hitting the freeway, the bike felt liek a road glide.

Yes the frame mounted fairing makes all the difference. I used to have a street glide as well and the FXRT is way better without any of the buffeting. The only other fairing as good or possibly better would be a road glide.

I also tried using the standard replica fairing and I was still getting some turbulence at the top of my helmet (arai corsair). the klock werks gives a much better pocket.

Last edited by z06elmo; 05-05-2022 at 04:41 PM.