Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Rider S noisy primary

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:28 AM
Trepifajxl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Rider S noisy primary

Hello gentlemen,
I would like to ask somebody who has Low Rider S, or other bike with 110" engine in it.
Have pretty new this bike and it is great! It is my first H-D so not really sure about normal noises.
The point is that my primary makes noise. It sounds like the chain is not well tighten. H-D service told me this is normal and it is caused by compensator. I know how it works and I´m pretty sure it is not caused by that...this is rattling noise nost scratches.
One time they opened it, due to the leak from the starter o-ring, and they told me chains was tightetn too much [img]
Spoke with one guy from Czech and he told me he had same issue, and when he came to other H-D servis they filled in heavier viscosity oil in primary case and he told me noise disappeared.
Wondering if you guys could help me with the oil proposal, or it is nomral, or how you solved it on your bike.
Thanks!
Ondřej.[/img]

Last edited by Trepifajxl; 06-19-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:07 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I've had a similar issue with my primary. It started off as a slight clunking noise from the compensator. I took it to HD and they said it was normal. Now, 4000 miles later, I have a bearing type noise when revving the motor or letting off the throttle from high rpm. My last service I found metal shavings that were a little larger than they should be. Again, hd said it was normal and they inspected the primary components with no problems found. On my next service in gonna pull the primary and inspect it myself, and possibly upgrade the compensator/chain/tensioner and clutch. I'm still riding the bike hard until something fails. I hear a lot of lrs have similar issues.

This is is only my OPINION, but it is my belief that the factory automatic chain tensioner creates too much tension on the chain, which results in compensator issues, which slowly moves upstream to the bearing. I've also heard these issues stem from the hard starting that HD has created a flash update for, but it seems to be if that were the case, the teeth would start wear first but that's only my opinion.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it until you start to have more noticable issues, then take it back to HD under warranty. I started experiencing these issues around 800 miles, and now have 8000 miles and I still beat the hell out of it. When something breaks, I'll upgrade it, until then I'll ride it.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

My 110 is a bit on the noisy side. I hear it less since switching my exhaust from stock. When I went to pick the bike up last fall, my brother noticed an oil leak and ended up being the o-ring on the starter evidently sliced when assembled at the factory. Bike only had 10 miles on it. I did end up extending the warranty for a total of seven years which gives me the piece of mind not not worry about it. Uklauren just had her 110 take a dump at 25 on the clock. So I will just ride it and let warranty cover it if anything does happen. A little disappointed in the moco for not completely dealing with the problems, but then again there are a lot of 110s with tons of miles without problems. That's life!

Old 06-18-2017, 12:11 PM
Trepifajxl
6th Gear

I suppise the tensioner is causing this, so I have ordered Hayden M6-BT07 and will change it.
I´m still wondering about the heavier viscosity of the oil, since the guys with same bike told me it helped. Do you know what viscosity has orginal H-D primary?
I had o-ring crack and leak as well. Solved durign last waranty check.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 PM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't know about the noise.....but for gods sake....don't ever say "Lowie S" again...smfh

Old 06-18-2017, 06:47 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by fxrnutt
Don't know about the noise.....but for gods sake....don't ever say "Lowie S" again...smfh
no no argumdnt there....rookie mistake? Givin him the benefit of doubt, lets chalk that one up to autocorrect.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I only have 600 miles on mine and it sounds great. But my first thought is that auto chain adjuster. If I have issues that's the first thing I'll replace.

Had a Hayden on my softail and it did great.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 AM
Trepifajxl
6th Gear

Sorry guys for renamed Low Rider S 😉
Hayden si on its way, what about the oil with higher viscosity? Could be help andbvery easy to try...
What oil do you use in primary?

Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 AM
fxrnutt
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I have over 15 k on my hayden......good stuff

Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 AM
Trepifajxl
6th Gear

Why you did the change to Hayden? Noise?

Quick Reply: Low Rider S noisy primary