Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wide Glide tire help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:15 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Wide Glide tire help please

I bought a 2011 wide glide about a month ago and just had a flat on the rear. I looked at Jake Wilson, but they didn't have a rear tire that would fit.

Where are you buying tires from and what kind of tires are you running?

Old 06-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I buy from the Harley dealer and just run stock tires on my lrs. I looked online and after shipping I was paying about the same as the dealer. For whatever reason I'm very prone to flat tires, normally right after I buy a new one, so I bought a wheel and tire contract. So far I've gotten 3 new tires without paying a deductible because the tires were almost brand new.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:21 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I bought a 2011 wide glide about a month ago and just had a flat on the rear. I looked at Jake Wilson, but they didn't have a rear tire that would fit.

Where are you buying tires from and what kind of tires are you running?

Ouch, that isn't at all fun, eh?

Pirelli Night Dragons; the finest tire you can put on a heavy cruiser and the only tires I'll run on my Wide Glides. Use a stock sized 180/60-17 on the rear and the 90/90-21 on the front.

All my tires come from Jake Wilson; they've got the Night Dragons

And, just to add; you're replacing the tubes as well. A great time to go to dynamic balancing and use Ride On in the tubes; dynamic balancing so you won't need to spin balance or use wheel weights and added puncture protection...

Old 06-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Ouch, that isn't at all fun, eh?

Pirelli Night Dragons; the finest tire you can put on a heavy cruiser and the only tires I'll run on my Wide Glides. Use a stock sized 180/60-17 on the rear and the 90/90-21 on the front.

All my tires come from Jake Wilson; they've got the Night Dragons

And, just to add; you're replacing the tubes as well. A great time to go to dynamic balancing and use Ride On in the tubes; dynamic balancing so you won't need to spin balance or use wheel weights and added puncture protection...
i love how you say wide glides plural. How many Harleys do you have all together, what do you do for work, and are they hiring? Lol. I can't wait for the day where I have multiple Harleys and builds goin on.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:36 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
i love how you say wide glides plural. How many Harleys do you have all together, what do you do for work, and are they hiring? Lol. I can't wait for the day where I have multiple Harleys and builds goin on.
Heh Some Wide Glides have come and gone, and there are 2 are here in various states of needing love and work but until they're 'presentable', they are my little secrets The '13 is my main ride, but with enough time and cash, some older iron may be seeing some forum time Idle hands and all, and you know what they say about that... It's fun either way, no matter how it plays out.

Edited to add: rkoivisto, some links for you.

180/60B-17 (75V) $178.88 https://www.jakewilson.com/p/4364/27...otorcycle-Tire

90/90-21 (54H) $99.88 https://www.jakewilson.com/p/4364/27...otorcycle-Tire

My Ride On 3 pack source, best pricing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ride-On-Moto...JSeqMv&vxp=mtr

Dosage calculator; I use 8 ounces in the front, 14 ounces in the rear on the '13. With tubes and using it for dynamic balancing, follow the severe dosage recommendation: http://www.ride-on.com/calculator.html

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 06-06-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-06-2017, 02:28 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior

Thanks TinCup. You're a lifesaver.
Do you get your tubes from Jake Wilson also? I looked through every tube they have and didn't find any 180 60 17. I might just order one from the Harley shop. They aren't a lot higher than most of the online tubes.

You don't happen if it's a center valve do you? I thought all motorcycle tubes were center valve, but the HD parts guy asked.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:05 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior

OK, I think I have everything under control and ordered. 40502-06 is the Harley part number for the tube. works with a 180 60 17 or a 160 70 17.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:12 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

I've gone back to the HD OEM tubes; And I see you got it handled, good. If you're changing out the rear, do the front as well, put yourself on fresh shoes. Those Night Dragons are a great tire. That front Night Dragon 90/90-21 is more stable, and tracks better on surface irregularities, and it fills in the fender much better.

With a 90/90 you may need to adjust your fender positioning so it sits properly on the tire. The fender mounting hardware is SAE, not metric 1/4" allen, 1/2" for the bolts.

HD is fun like that

Old 06-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 742 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice
Heh Some Wide Glides have come and gone, and there are 2 are here in various states of needing love and work but until they're 'presentable', they are my little secrets The '13 is my main ride, but with enough time and cash, some older iron may be seeing some forum time Idle hands and all, and you know what they say about that... It's fun either way, no matter how it plays out.
Wait, what?? Have I not been paying attention??

And I second the choice of Night Dragons. I don't see any reason to ever try anything else.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:01 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Default One more question

The bike has less than 7K on it. It did have a little tread on it yet. (TinCup, I changed the front tire out a couple of weeks ago because of a crack in it).

How many miles can you expect on these tires? I run a run-flat car tire on my Limited because one year I had to put a total of 5 tires on it. I don't expect to put 30K a year on the WG, but I will probably put 10K on it. I really hate to put more than 1 rear and 1 front on per year. If I did, I think I would try to get some mags for it and change the rear wheel to a 16" so I could run a car tire on it too.

What kind of mileage do ya'll get on your WG tires?

Quick Reply: Wide Glide tire help please