Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride Free Everyone...I'm done.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:32 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ride Free Everyone...I'm done.

Beagle, sorry to hear. riding has been a part of my life since I was a kid, always been at least one in the shed/garage. you sound as if this was an important part of your life, I would have liked to have met you. Find something that you and the kid(s) will enjoy together. Good Luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:43 AM
stbobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't do it man, you can always go on short rides, drink beer with her in the garage, clean her up, mount her from time to time.....mmmmmmm

Old 06-07-2007, 10:50 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear the bad news .there is some of us that is the age where we face that every day.i dont think i would have sold my bike .some day you may ride again and if is your dream bike no way.my health is not that good it self my bike is my life .if i dont have it what is there .i would make a show bike out of it or something.so it could still be a part of my life .

Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM
GeeRam
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beagle1

Due to medical/health/pain issues...Had to sell my Harley, it leaves in the morning, the bike I have wanted since I was a little kid. The pain is just to bad when I ride it. I have deformed hip sockets that prevent me from sitting and opening my legs. I have tried everything, and plenty of MDs told me there wasn't a solution until I get new hips. Which they won't do until after 50 years old.
Can relate to your problem.

My ex was born with a deformed hip socket, and had loads of operations as a child. By her early 30's she almost couldn't walk, but heath service here would do op as they said she was too young on the basis that the new joints only last about 15 years and you can only have it done 3 times......

She had it done privately instead and got her life back, (including being able to ride pillion crouched up on the back of my Ducati Monster) However that replacement needed replacing again after about 12 years a few years back. But with advances in technology the new one will last a bit longer and after a traumatic 4 months of op and recovery sheagain got her life back and was able to lead a normal virtually unrestricted life.....(so much so she found someone else and left me 6 months later.....[:@])

Anyway, back to the plot, even better for you is that the new generation of replacement's should last 25-30 years and so you can look forward to a whole new lease of life and easily look forward to getting a Harley again.
In the meantime..good luck with the 'stang project......me, I'd build a fenderless '32 roadster for 4-wheeled fun....

Old 06-07-2007, 02:44 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey man..I feel your pain...literally. Back in early 2002, I lost my job in computers. Since then I've worked one shi*ty job to the next. Finally, after all the time, I received a little bit of good luck a few weeks ago. Someone finally gave me a chance to get back into the kind of work that I have experience in, and it seems to be a great job. My second week there, and I got a nasty case of the flu. Despite this, I went to work and suffered...because I didn't want to come off as a weak new guy. Now, this past Tuesday, I was moving a computer monitor, and re-injured an old back injury from like 4 years ago. Only this time, I REALLY injured it. Since then, the condition has only improved slightly, and I've been out of work for 2 days. So not only am I in a tremendous amount of pain, I feel like the biggest d*ckhead that ever walked....due to the fact that I'm forced to take time off so early in my time with this company. I'm disgusted with myself and my whole situation. And to top it all off, I can't do the one thing that I always do when I'm in a rut...and that's ride. I don't know how long this is going to take before I feel like myself again. But believe me when I say it..I know how upsetting this must be for you..because it's certainly upsetting for me.

Todd

Old 06-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: GeeRam

ORIGINAL: Beagle1

Due to medical/health/pain issues...Had to sell my Harley, it leaves in the morning, the bike I have wanted since I was a little kid. The pain is just to bad when I ride it. I have deformed hip sockets that prevent me from sitting and opening my legs. I have tried everything, and plenty of MDs told me there wasn't a solution until I get new hips. Which they won't do until after 50 years old.
Can relate to your problem.

My ex was born with a deformed hip socket, and had loads of operations as a child. By her early 30's she almost couldn't walk, but heath service here would do op as they said she was too young on the basis that the new joints only last about 15 years and you can only have it done 3 times......

She had it done privately instead and got her life back, (including being able to ride pillion crouched up on the back of my Ducati Monster) However that replacement needed replacing again after about 12 years a few years back. But with advances in technology the new one will last a bit longer and after a traumatic 4 months of op and recovery sheagain got her life back and was able to lead a normal virtually unrestricted life.....(so much so she found someone else and left me 6 months later.....[:@])

Anyway, back to the plot, even better for you is that the new generation of replacement's should last 25-30 years and so you can look forward to a whole new lease of life and easily look forward to getting a Harley again.
In the meantime..good luck with the 'stang project......me, I'd build a fenderless '32 roadster for 4-wheeled fun....
Thanks for all that info! I'll be doing somew more research.

As for the Roadster...thought about it in the past. Not a good family hot rod IMO. I do have a 53 Merc Flathead and all the go fast parts for it, as my Dad builds them for people and sends them around the country. But I am into the modern technology with A/C and CD players while going fast. I have done the old carb'd engine stuff.

Now as for drinking beer with the bike in the garage. Have been doing it, but that's a lot of $$$ sitting there losing value and not getting used. Like I said, I can rent & ride occasionally when the pain isn't so bad.

Bike left at 7:30am this morning. It is now in Ontario, Canada at new home with an owner that is 50 and wanted one for many years.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Hillstcrew
Intermediate

See another doctor.I am 42 Suffered from Avascular Norcosis for 5 years.Made riding very painful
to say the least.Left leg was almost 2 inches shorter.I finally said enough is enough.
I had a Left Total Hip Replacement on March 6th.of this year.I was back on the bike at
6 weeks.Back to work at 7 weeks.Best thing I could have done for myself.
Check around I saw plenty of younger people at rehab.who had hip replacements.
Good Luck to you.Life is to short to live it in pain.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Beagle1,
Sounds to me like you can take a great amount of satisfaction in having helped fulfill a dream of a 50 year old of owning a Harley. That should make you feel good. I can't imagine how much it must have hurt to let her go. At least you can take solace in the fact that he will treat as well as you did.
You are still welcome at this site. Don't forget your friends here. You will ride again--and when you do it will be with more passion and a deeper appreciation than ever before.
Bart

Old 06-07-2007, 09:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,802 Likes on 2,541 Posts

footpegs down for you brother, just dream on and maybe your dream will catch a ride, take care.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 PM
Hardway
Intermediate

Begal
I know what you mean about pain. I ride a custom FDX, if it wasn't a custom I couldn't ride it. I've known some folks that had that hip replacement done, it's a handful for a short time, but after that it's great!! Had my left knee replaced a couple years ago, and double bypass in the legs last year. I looks funny when I ride, but I ride! I'll look for you on the road after a while. Don't give up! That's the thing.
Hardway

Quick Reply: Ride Free Everyone...I'm done.