Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see how that LED headlight looks on your bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:24 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
I have this question too. There's a bunch of Chinese knockoffs on eBay and Amazon and some see good others don't. Actually found one that is a legit company and offers 2 year warranty. The pictures they post show which leds are illuminated on high and low but what I've been looking for is to see what they actually look like coming at you. Can you see the individual leds or is it one bright white light. Especially during the daytime I'm looking to be more visible to incoming traffic, I don't ride much at night but I'd like to learn my chances of left turns in my path.
From this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...r-250-a-4.html

Originally Posted by cggorman
OK, here are the night shots comparing the two properly aimed lights. Again, the yellow one is a Cibie E-code reflector with the brightest 55W halogen you can buy, +130% overdriven, short life. The blue one is the Chinese 8790A clone.

These were all taken with white balance and exposure locked. I tried to set them so the camera captured roughly what my naked eyes were seeing.

All were about 25 feet from a vertical corrugated metal warehouse wall out in the dark edges of town.

My first use impression is that the Chinese light is pretty good. As this was installed in a car, there's no bank-turn function at this time. The light is a bit more blue than I initially thought. Not terrible but, personally, I would prefer it to be a bit warmer in color. That's subjective, tho. The beam is extremely broad. It's a "soft" light. No real hot spots jump out while on the road and it's deceptively bright somehow. I'm not sure how to descibe it other than broad or soft. Like a quarter hemisphere evenly lit. it seems to be very friendly with regard to oncoming driver/rider glare. it actually looks very dim above the horizontal cutoff...at least on low. They may be cussing you if you run with high beams on. The high beam is VERY high. You'll be scaring the birds in the trees.

For $100, even without the adaptive stuff should it crap out, I'm happy. It compares favorably with the Cibie, which is about as good as it gets for street legal halogens.

Both low beams.

Both high beams. (higher shutter speed, so apparent brightness won't compare to the low beam shots)

The Cibie on low from the driver perspective.

Clone low beam. Pretty nice cutoff and extremely wide beam. I really love the width going down the road. Also has nice nearfield spill illumination. No huge black hole right in front of you.

Clone high beam. (higher shutter speed, so apparent brightness won't compare to the low beam shots)

Cibie high beam. (higher shutter speed, so apparent brightness won't compare to the low beam shots)

Low beams viewed from about 2' above grade.

Low beams, viewed from about 5' above grade. Very little/no glare.

High beams at about 2' above grade.

High beams viewed from about 5' above grade.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 AM
Schwabbob
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-26-2017, 08:16 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Any reason one of these styles would be better than the other? Leaning towards the optix

Attached Thumbnails Let's see how that LED headlight looks on your bike-photo867.jpg   Let's see how that LED headlight looks on your bike-photo887.jpg  
Old 05-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

DK customs headlight LED Bulb only. Turn signals & auxiliary lights are Custom Dynamics. Thinking about upgrading the headlight to the CD True Beam, but not sure if it is worth the money. Haven't been convinced by any of the posts I've read and don't have an extra $400+ just lying around.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

That bulb needs an extra 2" behind it right? I tried to get a bulb and can't fit it in the 5.75 housing. Is there that much more room in the 7"?

Old 05-26-2017, 09:20 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts
Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM
Fatboy16S
Cruiser
Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kp877
That bulb needs an extra 2" behind it right? I tried to get a bulb and can't fit it in the 5.75 housing. Is there that much more room in the 7"?
Fits perfectly in the 7". Only reason I am looking to upgrade is that the LED bulb has 3 sides on a triangle and uses 2 for low and all three for high. It just doesn't seem to give off much more light with the third side lit on high. I will say it is night and day difference from stock for $50. Plus if the lens gets broken you don't have to replace the LED.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:34 AM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

I had the Harley one on my night train. I couldn't believe the difference. I just ordered the Amazon version for my new bike.
Cept I'm nervous about the bike throwing a warning light

Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fatboy16S
Fits perfectly in the 7". Only reason I am looking to upgrade is that the LED bulb has 3 sides on a triangle and uses 2 for low and all three for high. It just doesn't seem to give off much more light with the third side lit on high. I will say it is night and day difference from stock for $50. Plus if the lens gets broken you don't have to replace the LED.
Thanks. I just found it's made by Moto LED and can be had for under $10 if you want for China shipping. It's identical

Old 05-26-2017, 10:06 AM
tgmotoman
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I run a truck-lite 7in.

Quick Reply: Let's see how that LED headlight looks on your bike