Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 FXDF Fat Bob front turn signal relocation issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 03:31 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

The correct answer is that you have two options:

1) Cut and extend the wires from the switch housings to the new turn signals.

or

2) Pull the spare connectors from the "backbone" of the frame and then wire the new turn signals to those.

I did both - cut the wires from the switches and used them to connect bar end turn signals

and

Pulled the spare connectors from the frame and used them to wire LED mirror/signals.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:33 PM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,479 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Oh - and the solder/seal/heatshrink connectors are better than almost anything else out there for bike wiring:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Solder-Shrink-Connectors-Soldering/dp/B00ESXX74G https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Solder-Shrink-Connectors-Soldering/dp/B00ESXX74G

Just for illustration - but available near to you....

Old 05-28-2017, 05:12 PM
watoad
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey everyone following this question about how to do it WITHOUT cutting the wires, which is what he asked in the first place. I WAS WRONG. I'm an angry old may who is dying real fast from Pancreatic Cancer. I no longer have any patience for anyone who doesn't want to understand how to do anything according to their Service Manual (as it would be done at a dealership. THAT BEING SAID, it's no excuse for my earlier rude response. Having actually taken the time to look more closely at the pictures given with the original question I now see that the wiring harness on the 2016 FXDF is totally different from that on my 2010 which has a totally separate harness branch from the main harness behind the neck to the turn signals. Mine was a simple job. Now it appears the MOCO has created a group-harness running through the handle bars and they glued the wires all together at the control switches. It does look like wire cutting is the only option now. Again I WAS WRONG AND I KNOW IT, so I admit it. I am sorry I was so rude but, the correct year Service Manual for your bike IS the best starting point and it will always be. There will also always be alternative methods that will work very well for a very long time, and possibly save time making the mod. They may be irreversible and that might be OK with you. It's your bike, make your own choices. You will get responses from HACKS who want everyone else to just hack too, so they can feel justified in doing shoddy work on their own bike. Good luck figuring out which is which. Now I'll SFU.

The following users liked this post:
MadMouser (08-06-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by watoad
Hey everyone following this question about how to do it WITHOUT cutting the wires, which is what he asked in the first place. I WAS WRONG. I'm an angry old may who is dying real fast from Pancreatic Cancer. I no longer have any patience for anyone who doesn't want to understand how to do anything according to their Service Manual (as it would be done at a dealership. THAT BEING SAID, it's no excuse for my earlier rude response. Having actually taken the time to look more closely at the pictures given with the original question I now see that the wiring harness on the 2016 FXDF is totally different from that on my 2010 which has a totally separate harness branch from the main harness behind the neck to the turn signals. Mine was a simple job. Now it appears the MOCO has created a group-harness running through the handle bars and they glued the wires all together at the control switches. It does look like wire cutting is the only option now. Again I WAS WRONG AND I KNOW IT, so I admit it. I am sorry I was so rude but, the correct year Service Manual for your bike IS the best starting point and it will always be. There will also always be alternative methods that will work very well for a very long time, and possibly save time making the mod. They may be irreversible and that might be OK with you. It's your bike, make your own choices. You will get responses from HACKS who want everyone else to just hack too, so they can feel justified in doing shoddy work on their own bike. Good luck figuring out which is which. Now I'll SFU.
You're a good man in a tough situation. My best wishes for you sir. Ride everyday as long as you can, its the best therapy.

: Mike

watoad (05-29-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:12 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,847 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by watoad
No reason to give an excuse or an alibi. Hog-doc is just a ***** that thinks he's the utmost authority on the planet and he revels in correcting anyone when he can no matter how small the infraction is. That's probably why he can't hold a job in one location. I'm done with him.

watoad (05-29-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
No reason to give an excuse or an alibi. Hog-doc is just a ***** that thinks he's the utmost authority on the planet and he revels in correcting anyone when he can no matter how small the infraction is. That's probably why he can't hold a job in one location. I'm done with him.
You got one thing right finally, I can be a ***** when it comes to f'n idiots giving out bad and wrong information when someone is here trying to get help. Utmost authrity? NOPE! but Ive got a **** ton more experience than most people on here and when i see a bunch of wrong answers and just plain ol misinformation like you usally give out i will correct it!

Cant hold a job, huh? Yet again more misinformation from the master of useless posts, 3 jobs over the last 26 years, 9 plus in current dealership **** for brains!

OldEnuf2NoBtr (05-29-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Jpatterson317
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what did you end up doing? I got lost between all the arguing...