Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal shavings in primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017 | 04:13 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

The writer claims they completely disassembled the primary and there were "no indications of wear". Bullshit. Maybe there's no sheared teeth, but the 2 noises and metal shavings are excellent indicators. Oh and he also said it's possible the chain jumped a tooth. That's great, but that too would be a ****in problem.

Old 05-22-2017 | 04:29 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

This is wrong on so many levels; they're playing you, they just want you to shut up and go away. They ain't got time for you. Reason 87 why I despise HD dealers...

Old 05-22-2017 | 04:40 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
The writer claims they completely disassembled the primary and there were "no indications of wear". Bullshit. Maybe there's no sheared teeth, but the 2 noises and metal shavings are excellent indicators. Oh and he also said it's possible the chain jumped a tooth. That's great, but that too would be a ****in problem.

I paid $50 twice when they so called inspected primary. I took it apart the third time. Bet they did not pull clutch hub. My guess is that click is the clutch wobbling. Mine was making the click when I pulled it down. The chain only has .03 clearance between the links and the sprockets. If the sprockets wobble or shift over from spacer side wear, the sprockets nip the chain. I could bank over ver slow in low gear in a circle and my primary was making this ratchet click. Interesting that when I did tear it down, I carried it back in and showed them figuring they would thank me for doing their work and give me the parts. Ha, they told me my warranty was void for me taking it apart. If you look ver close at the link under the adjuster bolt, you can see the nips on the edge where sprocket was nipping it. My primary had so many shavings on the magnet, it looked like a chia pet.

P.S.The chain cannot jump a link and the compensator does not slip unless catastrophic damage occurs first.

This is not the post but have seen those exact metal parts from clutch hubs and bearing races.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ine-teeth.html

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2017 | 06:16 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea I'm pretty much done with this bullshit. I don't know if they actually tore it down or not. I hate dealers for this reason exactly. That's one thing I can honestly that I make a legitimate, honest attempt to verify every customers concern when I'm at work. Yea, there's times they have issues that I'm not able to duplicate, but something like this I would have verified in the first ten minutes. I honestly don't know what to do at this point other than buy the **** myself and fix it. One thing I noticed on the ride home is I can now hear the earring without revving the motor. The noise is not getting worse, but I'm starting to hear it at a wider variety of operating conditions. Whatever the original failure is, the damage is starting to expand downstream

Old 05-22-2017 | 06:30 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I paid $50 twice when they so called inspected primary. I took it apart the third time. Bet they did not pull clutch hub. My guess is that click is the clutch wobbling. Mine was making the click when I pulled it down. The chain only has .03 clearance between the links and the sprockets. If the sprockets wobble or shift over from spacer side wear, the sprockets nip the chain. I could bank over ver slow in low gear in a circle and my primary was making this ratchet click. Interesting that when I did tear it down, I carried it back in and showed them figuring they would thank me for doing their work and give me the parts. Ha, they told me my warranty was void for me taking it apart. If you look ver close at the link under the adjuster bolt, you can see the nips on the edge where sprocket was nipping it. My primary had so many shavings on the magnet, it looked like a chia pet.

P.S.The chain cannot jump a link and the compensator does not slip unless catastrophic damage occurs first.

This is not the post but have seen those exact metal parts from clutch hubs and bearing races.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ine-teeth.html
see thats ****in bullshit. Your warranty shouldn't be void for takin it apart unless you bring it to them dented up from a hammer, gouged up from using a pry bar, or like bringin them the parts with 7 broken bolts. Point is if they look at it, and you didn't damage anything or install anything incorrectly, your warranty should be intact. Just like the dealers that say your warranty is void if you do your own services, BULLSHIT! If they try to tell you your warranty is void because you do your own services, tell em either fix it, or I'm gonna write a nice long complaint to the business licensing department of sec of state (or dmv depending on where you live)

Old 05-22-2017 | 07:20 PM
Not E'nuff Harley
Road Warrior

Looks like clutch hub splines to me, as well. I have seen it many times.

Attached Thumbnails Metal shavings in primary-screenshot_20170522-191759.png  
The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017 | 07:26 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm gonna pull it apart myself this weekend. If I find something obvious like that I'm gonna hand it back To them and tell them not to cal me until it's fixed.

Old 05-22-2017 | 07:55 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member

Think about your fiance first. This whole problem can get worse real quick. I would ask them if you can take it apart yourself and then you video the procedure to CYA.

Old 05-22-2017 | 08:07 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Qdog002
Think about your fiance first. This whole problem can get worse real quick. I would ask them if you can take it apart yourself and then you video the procedure to CYA.
yea you're right. I have to keep it polite and respectful or they can just tell me to get out. But I am gonna take it to them if I do find a visible problem and tell them it needs to be handled. They looked at it under warranty twice and I installed the forward controls so it shouldn't be a problem. Not to mention they agreed to cover my 117 under warranty if I installed it (I do have a master motorcycle mechanic license).

Old 05-23-2017 | 07:17 AM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Anyone have any suggestions for upgrades? Don't see any other way. I tried baker but they currently don't have anything for my model.

Last edited by Nickd2689; 05-23-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in primary