Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal shavings in primary

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017 | 12:16 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

If anyone knows of any issues with primary or bearings please tell me about it. Thanks

Old 05-22-2017 | 12:22 PM
WMX124
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
If anyone knows of any issues with primary or bearings please tell me about it. Thanks
Check out the pictures in my compensator thread. Clutch hub spline is toast. Apparently this is common. Deposited small metal shavings in my primary fluid.

Old 05-22-2017 | 12:32 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by WMX124
Check out the pictures in my compensator thread. Clutch hub spline is toast. Apparently this is common. Deposited small metal shavings in my primary fluid.
i will search for the thread when I get off work. It's worth mentioning that I brought my bike in for a knocking compensator about 6,000 miles ago. They said there were no problems found. I believe the compensator is bad, and the knocking is proof, and I also believe this has caused the bearing to become noisy. They keep telling me this is normal, and at this point I am unable to be without my bike (only source of transportation unless I ride the fiancés sportster, which is very unpleasant since she's 5-2). I really want to get this fixed myself before it becomes a catastrophic failure but they keep saying its normal.

Old 05-22-2017 | 01:45 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain

Had the same thing on my oïl drain from primary, a week ago. I was told on HTT that it is chips from the starter ring gear....

Old 05-22-2017 | 01:46 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I just left a voicemail asking that either the service writer or service manager call me, I spoke politely (very difficult with my temper) and told them I don't want to cause a problem, but I just can't pick up a bike that I know is broken. I hate being one of these customers but the metal shavings indicate something is on its way out. They are just too big to be normal. I can hear the compensator clunking, which has caused the bearing to become noisy, so this thing is clearly getting close to catastrophic failure. I'm going to politely tell them that I won't pick the bike up until both the compensator and inner primary bearing have been replaced. I'll post back with updates once the worn components have been replaced.

Old 05-22-2017 | 02:24 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Sounda like a reasonable request, but I'd be leary of limiting component replacement to those two items. Without a complete inspection, that could leave you with bad parts. With your background, I think I'd request they completely disassemble the primary and call you to look at it before replacing anything.

Old 05-22-2017 | 02:38 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

My guess is that is the clutch hub serrations. I think Harley must make that part as an investment casting and probably very close to size with little machining. Your whole primary needs pulled down and if it's under warranty, I would insist they replace the seals on the compensator side and the inner primary bearing. They should also replace the clutch hub bearing and inner primary bearing. Grinding that up has surely damaged them. However, mine ground up the rotor spline with little indigestion but I had no warranty since the dealer just kept tightening up the compensator while it was under warranty.
My guess is the noise you are hearing is the whole clutch hub, ring gear and such wobbling on the input shaft. Don't be nailing the clutch or you just may be pushing the bike in for warranty.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-22-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-22-2017 | 03:02 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

They're still trying to tell me it's normal and they don't hear the compensator clinking or the bearing noise. Supposedly they completely disassembled the primary and its components. I don't know what to do, the noises are ****in there. The clink happens at idle at all times, the bearing noise happens after riding for a while. Both occur every time I ride. If my fiancé didn't work there id be handling this a very different way, but I'm afraid to be firm with them because everything I do reflects on her and could potentially negatively impact her and this is her dream job. She has always wanted to work for this specific HD dealer. The service writer told me "I don't know what to tell you bud, there's no indications of a problem". I told him the clunking, bearing, and large metal shavings were all excellent indications of a failure that is now starting to progress upstream. He said the shavings are normal, and they don't hear any noises. I'm a ****in mechanic, I know a bad bearing when I hear one. I NEVER say I'm right about something unless I know 100%. IM RIGHT ABOUT THIS. I can't ride a bike that I know is rapidly approaching the point of catostrophic failure which will destroy everything inside the primary, potentially the engine and trans, and jeopardize my safety. The only thing I can think of is to spend money I don't have and upgrade the primary components.

Old 05-22-2017 | 03:38 PM
Nickd2689
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
Sounda like a reasonable request, but I'd be leary of limiting component replacement to those two items. Without a complete inspection, that could leave you with bad parts. With your background, I think I'd request they completely disassemble the primary and call you to look at it before replacing anything.
if if I knew 100% that I'd actually see a failure I would, but with the concerns being noise related, there's a good chance I won't actually see a failure unless there's any kind of play in the compensator.

Old 05-22-2017 | 04:04 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

those are pretty big pieces of metal
I have a hard time believing that they broke down the primary for a real inspection and didnt notice something worn

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in primary