Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing H-D Forward Controls on Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017 | 05:55 AM
kenny55
|
Tourer
Default Installing H-D Forward Controls on Dyna

Would like to install fwd controls on my 2017 Dyna. I do not want to take apart the entire primary but removing the outer cover isn't a big deal for me. There's a few videos that show you can cut the mid control splined shaft in order to get it out without removing the primary housing.

The question i have is do you also need to remove the old gear shift lever behind the primary housing? The kit and instructions on H-D website shows that it includes another lever and to remove/replace the old with the new.

I think if that lever needs to be removed i would still need to remove the inner primary housing... what a pain in the a$$.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2017 | 07:47 AM
JLRB
Novice

I left the old one on mind. it work find.

The following users liked this post:
kenny55 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017 | 08:33 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Just installed the HD floorboards on the wifes 08 Low Rider; used a mid shifter support bracket to keep the shifter in place and will cap the **** sticking out of the primary. I can revert to mid controls easily if she wants or if we sell the bike.

Old 05-13-2017 | 08:51 AM
fskitch
Road Master

I've done the hacksaw method twice without removing the inner or outer primary on 2 '07 dyna's. The first time I left the old transmission lever behind the primary housing and had to reach down to the shift lever with my hand to get the bike into neutral. The mid transmission lever is shorter than the forward control trans shift lever. I was able to swap transmission shift levers without removing the primary with a hex socket, extension and ratchet, took about 5 min to remove and maybe 10 -15 min to get the new trans lever lined up and tightened down.
Taking the primary assembly off is doable but the method I used saved me some time and I had a fresh set of gaskets and inner primary bolts for when I had to replace the compensator assembly on my Street Bob. I also have the same gaskets, bolts left over from the forward kit I bought for my Super glide for if and when I need to open the primary on that bike.

Old 05-13-2017 | 09:13 AM
kenny55
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by fskitch
The mid transmission lever is shorter than the forward control trans shift lever. I was able to swap transmission shift levers without removing the primary with a hex socket, extension and ratchet, took about 5 min to remove and maybe 10 -15 min to get the new trans lever lined up and tightened down.
Thanks. I should have looked first. Indeed i can get a hex socket down in there and remove that old lever. I will need a slightly shorter extender but it should work.

How long did it take you to cut off that splined shaft? I assume you used a small hack saw.

Old 05-13-2017 | 09:25 AM
fskitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by kenny55

How long did it take you to cut off that splined shaft? I assume you used a small hack saw.
10-15 min. You go up from underneath. Duct tape around the area where the saw blade comes up to be extra careful in case you slip. One of the youtube videos shows a dewalt blade in a nice handle. That would be the best but I used a hacksaw blade and handle I had in my tool box similar to this with a bit longer blade. Very easy-just don't rush.

kenny55 (05-13-2017)
Old 05-14-2017 | 12:14 PM
sparkalot
Road Warrior

Actually you can avoid cutting the shaft . Just leave the shaft in place but lock it down with a retainer bracket. See picture. I used HD retainer bracket pn 34639-01 for 2001 and later or pn 34639-93 for 1996-2000 year model. I have an 2009 FXDF. I wanted to leave the shaft intact in case some day, some one, want to change back to mid controls. I covered the shaft end with a chrome cap from Kuryakin , there is also a HD pn 34640-93 available
Enjoy your added leg room!

De Bortoli (10-02-2024)
Old 05-14-2017 | 01:12 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sparkalot
Actually you can avoid cutting the shaft . Just leave the shaft in place but lock it down with a retainer bracket,,
I wanted to leave the shaft intact in case some day, some one, want to change back to mid controls,,
I covered the shaft end with a chrome cap from Kuryakin , t
Yeah that's my gig too, I didn't want to completely trash the re-sale value of my bike by making a permanent change.
It's a shame that Kenny55 want's to do a hack job on a brand new bike.

Buyer;
"So Kenny, how did you change to forwards with this bike?"
Kenny;
" Used a hack saw,, "
Potential Buyer;
"Oh, Thanks for your time."

sparkalot (05-15-2017)
Old 05-14-2017 | 02:02 PM
fskitch
Road Master

As for my bikes I don't plan to sell them. Originally I left the mid shaft in but decided it looked too cluttered so I hacked the first bikes mid shaft, on the second bike I knew I wanted the mid shaft gone before I started. When I can't ride anymore and the next guy (hopefully a family member) takes over the bike and decides to go to mids, he or she can get the mid shaft for $35 from Harley.

Old 05-14-2017 | 05:35 PM
wyotana
Tourer

I grabbed a couple of hacksaw blades and taped the ends as a handle. took a while but it did the trick. When i got the bike the original shifter shaft was left in, which was fine until the back gasket started to leak. I pulled to primary cover and after the cut the shaft I filled the whole with an aluminum plug (don't remember where I got it) and have zero problems the last 10k miles

kenny55 (05-15-2017)

Quick Reply: Installing H-D Forward Controls on Dyna