Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

outer primary cover 2009 street bob

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:17 PM
Nick561400
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default outer primary cover 2009 street bob

on my street bob i have the grey outer and inner primary cover I want to start blacking out some of the bike. I talked to a mechanic he quoted me at around 500 for labor and the paint job, I'm trying to save a few bucks. I know i could take off the outer primary no problem, its the inner im worried about screwing up and making more of a headache out of it than it needs to be.

I found these Kuryakyn Inner Primary Covers on Jp cycles, http://www.jpcycles.com/product/308-816, about 100 bucks, was wondering if anyone has found a similar product but black or if anyone has bought these then got them powder coated black.

ALSO
was thinking of keeping them chrome and just getting the outer painted to match the rest of my bike.

If anyone has any suggestions on this lt would be helpful or if anyone has done the chrome inner and black outer and has a pic i'd be very interested in seeing it

Old 05-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 742 Likes on 411 Posts

Taking the inner primary off isn't the worst job, but it's definitely a bit of work.

Compensator comes off (just one bolt, which needs to be replaced) clutch hub nut, then the compensator, clutch, and primary chain slide off as an assembly. Remove the 2 starter bolts from the backside, then the 5 (I think) bolts (which also need to be replaced) that hold the inner primary to the motor and trans. That's it. I'd guess with proper tools you could have it off in about an hour.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:25 PM
Nick561400
Cruiser

i watched a quick video on youtube, i think it mentioned some specific mechanic tools, off the top of your head can you think of any? i got basic hand tools nothing special

Old 05-10-2017, 12:30 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 742 Likes on 411 Posts

The only thing I can think of is big enough sockets to fit the compensator and clutch hub nut-don't remember the sizes, but I can check when I get home tonight as I have the primary cover off. You also need a locking tool that fits between the 2 sprockets to keep them from rotating when you're tightening and loosening the bolts--you can buy one cheap, or make your own like I did.

On top of that you need the 5 inner primary retaining bolts, a new compensator bolt, engine to inner primary gasket, outer primary and derby cover gaskets, and of course fluid. That's all I can think of.

It's definitely not hard, the hardest part as I remember is getting the comp bolt and clutch hub nut loose. They're on there good.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:16 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Reindeer
......On top of that you need the 5 inner primary retaining bolts, a new compensator bolt, engine to inner primary gasket, outer primary and derby cover gaskets, and of course fluid. That's all I can think of.
The last time I pulled my outer/inner, the 4 long bolts in front/around the compensator area that go through both outer and inner, into the case, were rusted pretty badly in the middle. Pay attention to the condition as you pull them out. I replaced all my primary bolts with polished stainless.

Originally Posted by Reindeer
It's definitely not hard, the hardest part as I remember is getting the comp bolt and clutch hub nut loose. They're on there good.
Ditto here. Don't be tempted to use an impact wrench... there are stories of people breaking things loose, that were NOT designed to break loose

As Reindeer made his own tool, I did too... 1.5"x.25" steel flat bar stock... at a certain length.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Nick561400
Cruiser
Default Final decision

So after tools and powder coat I think I'm gonna break even on cost I called a family friend mechanic he quoted me at 300 after labor and paint I think this is the better option by the sounds of it I don't think I need to screw anything up right before the nice weather this is very helpful information incase this needs to come off for other work I have in the future.

if anyone did a chrome inner and black outer I'm definitely still interested in seeing it I think it'd look cool as hell but gotta see it first

Old 05-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

It's really not that hard to take it apart. I'd go that way and just pay for the powder coating. Much cheaper in the long run.

With this message board and Youtube, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Nick561400
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Flinter
It's really not that hard to take it apart. I'd go that way and just pay for the powder coating. Much cheaper in the long run.

With this message board and Youtube, it really shouldn't be a problem.
howd did u get that last bolt out in the backside facing out towards the battery box I think it's called the starter bolt? I watched a video and the guy madea special tool

Old 05-11-2017, 06:32 PM
Flinter
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

It's just a quarter inch allen head. Getting to it is tricky, but basically you can take the battery box off and use extensions on your ratchet.

If you can get the whole setup made with a quarter inch ratchet/extension it's easier.

Pretty sure I know the video you are talking about . They just welded 3 straight pieces of allen wrench together IIRC.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:03 AM
wingman1800
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ck out my list in classifieds , only $95.00 plus shipping for Just like new outer black primary off 2010 Fat Bob.I took it off in 2010 and put it the box my new chrome primary came in. I think it wud fit but ya had better ck.
tom