Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draggin the Pegs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:49 PM
footpeg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Draggin the Pegs

I have a 2006 St Bob and I am interested in how far over you can lean and still not have the bike slide out from under you. We have a lot of twisties here in Northern California and I drag my pegs nearly every time out but I want to know if there is any more room to lean or is the side of the road is the next stop. On the right side the peg drags and thenthe pipes and I won't lean into the corner anymore than that. But I always wonder if it will go down if I stay leaning in. My feeling is that the suspension may lengthen with some of the weight on the pipes and maybe it will stay up at that angle with the pipes draging. Factory Pipes(They are already scratched) Then on the left side when the peg drags I feel that the primary cover is next and I know that I don't want toscratch that. But how much further after the peg hits is the cover going to hit? I know that the pegs draging is a warning sign but sometimes you are commited in a turn and you really can't slow down or straighten up safely, so there you are. SO the question is, is there anymore room if you find that you are in a decreasing radius and need a little more lean? I also realize that the tires and road surface are a major factor but what I am tryng to ask is how far can you lean before you are gone no matter how favorable the conditions are. I am sure that I will get some (what kind of moron are you) responses but it issomething I think about when I find myself in a commited situationand a little more angle would be helpful. Is there something that you can feel or hear prior to the sliding and crash noise?

Old 06-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Ratbasturd
Road Master
Default RE: Draggin the Pegs

I hit the pegs and drag the pipe through the curve makin an awfull noise, I am gonna put a titanimum strip on it so it will throw sparks at night[8D].

I run my shocks at 1 up from the softest setting and have found that in turns where I tend to push the outside if I roll hard on the throttle it squats the rear and lifts the front giving me a tighter turning radius.

It's all it the torque.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:26 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been draggin stuff on mine since since day one, from what I've heard at some point the exhaust system will lever the rear wheel off the ground which I've heard is not pleasant.This hasn't happened to me yet, possibly because I cranked up the rear suspension to the max which will put a stop to most of the grinding.Where abouts are you in N.CA? I live in Templeton and work in San Luis lots of cool curvage to ride around here if you have time, he types on a company keyboard.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:42 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

i've almost wore off the bolt under the pipes from making right turns, not even with a heavy lean over.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:04 PM
hounddog
Tourer

ya pegs, pipes, kickstand, but never the primary yet anyways. what i've been doing is just slightly lifting my foot off the peg in the corner so it doesnt buck your foot off when it hits, instead it just quitely pushes the peg up as you lean. theres not even much of a drag or scrape sound that way and it dosent grid off much of you peg each time. how fars too far....well thats all up to you really i imagen like special ed said the pipes could cause the rear wheel to lift lossing traction and yer takin a dirt nap but i think you'd have to lean hard and be goin pretty quick to get that. it does sux all the draggin i ran with some rockets thru the mt twisties and man i freakin drug everything but i was stickin with them rice eaters pretty good but after 10mi or so of throwin that 600+ lbs bike around i had to back off a bit. anyway thats my story and im stickin to it

Old 06-05-2007, 06:31 PM
footpeg
Intermediate

Thanks guys. It is comforting to know that others have the same problems and so far the rubber side has stayed down. And for SPECIAL ED I live just outside of Sacramento and do a lot of my riding in the Gold Country/Foothills of the Sierra's. It gets hot here, 100+, in the summer months and the temp drops considerably if you head for the hills. It can drop 15 to 20 degrees in 35-40 minutes heading East on I 80 toward Truckee and Lake Tahoe. I wish we had the kind of temps that they have in San Luis Obispo and the Coast. But all in all we have what I consider pretty good year round riding conditions here, generally between 35 and95 degrees.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM
jharp
Tourer

You guys must have better roads than I've got to choose from in Houston. I have forward controls and the only thing I drag is my right heal on turns.

Jim

Old 06-05-2007, 08:00 PM
jonpiper
Cruiser

I really dont see the point in doing that to a expensive HD .... sad thing is a cheaper decent sportbike will kill you guys in curves .

bragging about dragging parts of your bike on the concrete is about as cool as an arsehole on my forearm .

Old 06-05-2007, 08:34 PM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonpiper

I really dont see the point in doing that to a expensive HD .... sad thing is a cheaper decent sportbike will kill you guys in curves .

bragging about dragging parts of your bike on the concrete is about as cool as an arsehole on my forearm .
drag everything. pipes, kickstand, pegs, primary. not trying to do it but when your riding and having a good time it happens. as far as having a arsehole on my forearm, where do i sign up? it would make it so much easier to throw my **** on the cagers.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:52 PM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jonpiper

I don't see the point in paying all that money for a bike and then not riding it however the hell you want. Life's too short to worry about dragging a three dollar exhaust bolt. Give me a break! My pegs were $125 and I don't squall anymore when one touches the ground.

Quick Reply: Draggin the Pegs