Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muller Power Clutch Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:03 AM
stonei3
Club Member
Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Muller Power Clutch Issue

I recently installed a Muller Power Clutch on my 16 Low Rider S to reduce clutch pull effort and am having some dragging issues when the bike is warmed up (not when cold).

I have been in the primary cover a few times to try and dial in the clutch adjustment screw (Muller instructions call for 1/8 turn out after contact) and it seems to help for a limited amount of time and then reverts back to the dragging issue.

I'm pretty much at the point that I am going to install the original ramps as the reduced effort definitely didn't provide a wow factor.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? Is there a remedy here? Thanks

Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Forgive me for asking, but you are adjusting it when the bikes cold right?

Old 05-04-2017, 01:23 PM
stonei3
Club Member

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
Forgive me for asking, but you are adjusting it when the bikes cold right?
No worries at all. I'm open to suggestions as I'd like to make it work.

Yes, all adjustments have been when bike is cold.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:23 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,669 Likes on 3,868 Posts

Any of the clutch mechanisms that try to make the clutch pull lighter without using springs or bob weights do so by reducing travel on the pressure plate. IIRC the clutch play gets a little looser as the bike warms up.. In doing so, pressure plate could be loosing movement. Try adjusting the cable slack a little less. You might want to try and lower the primary oil a little.. Another thing you can do is remove the damping spring and spring seat from the clutch.. This will reduce drag but also make the friction zone shorter. It's best to replace the narrow friction with a wider friction plate when doing this..

Also make sure that none of the outer part of the clutch cable is flexing or sliding as the clutch is pulled in..

Old 05-04-2017, 04:35 PM
byrdman.45
Road Captain
Received 313 Likes on 146 Posts

You might try a 1/4 turn out and see it's better or worse. Did that to one I put in a Sportster and it worked better.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:16 AM
stonei3
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Also make sure that none of the outer part of the clutch cable is flexing or sliding as the clutch is pulled in..
What do you mean by this?

I got good and pissed off on my ride home from work today over the dragging issue and put back in the stock ramps. Even though I had written earlier that the wow factor wasn't quite there, after reverting back to stock the pull requires much more effort than with the Muller. That being said, dealing with the amount of drag I was experiencing isn't worth it.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:20 AM
stonei3
Club Member

Originally Posted by byrdman.45
You might try a 1/4 turn out and see it's better or worse. Did that to one I put in a Sportster and it worked better.
I did try this. Tried a little less than an 1/8 and went up to a 1/4. Neither provided zero drag unfortunately. Sucks too cause the lighter pull is awesome.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:24 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,669 Likes on 3,868 Posts

Originally Posted by stonei3
What do you mean by this?

I got good and pissed off on my ride home from work today over the dragging issue and put back in the stock ramps. Even though I had written earlier that the wow factor wasn't quite there, after reverting back to stock the pull requires much more effort than with the Muller. That being said, dealing with the amount of drag I was experiencing isn't worth it.
A cable like the clutch works by pulling on the center cable while the outer part supports the load. If the outer is slipping or twisting because it is not supporting the load correctly, cable travel is lost. If you put the stock ramps back in and the clutch no longer drags, it's not the likely cause.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:36 AM
stonei3
Club Member

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
A cable like the clutch works by pulling on the center cable while the outer part supports the load. If the outer is slipping or twisting because it is not supporting the load correctly, cable travel is lost. If you put the stock ramps back in and the clutch no longer drags, it's not the likely cause.
Thanks for the clarification. We'll see if she drags. Haven't fired it up yet. Will report back tomorrow. Appreciate your input.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:32 PM
Yul B. Nekst
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cold temps?

I put in my Muller last summer on my '98 Low Rider. No issues, but the weather was warm then, and all adjustments were done with summer temps. Today I took out my bike (only third time, thank you road salt!), and noticed drag until I rode a little bit. The weather has been too cold to ride the last two weeks, and today was only 50ish. So, I'm guessing the combination of dino primary and cold weather on the tighter than normal adjustment tolerance has something to do with this. Stonei3, what have you got for temps there in CO? Maybe your issue?

Quick Reply: Muller Power Clutch Issue