Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob upgraded with Low Rider S Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 11:20 PM
silverfoxesq
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob upgraded with Low Rider S Parts?

I have a '16 FXDB and there are a number of small upgrades I'd like to do, most especially blacking out currently chrome parts. I just thought of buying OEM FXDLS parts to install on my FXDB as replacements/supplements: has anyone thought of this yet? Some specifics were replacing my current black turn signals with the black turn signals and supports from the FXDLS (Part #s 678007-23, 68277-07, and 678005-23).

One specific spot was the Rear Shock Bolt Cover: I replaced my stock rear shocks with Progressive 444s and had to remove the stock Shock Bolt Covers - and, quite frankly, I had the look of the steel bolts exposed like they are. I was thinking of ordering the Black Shock Bolt Covers from the FXDLS (part #540001-31, I believe) and am wondering if any current FXDLS owners have installed the Progressive 444s while utilizing those stock bolt covers.

Has anyone tried this yet, or even thought of this? Has anyone swapped parts from one Dyna to another? If so, is it mostly trial and error for fitment? Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 04-18-2017, 01:58 AM
Internet Cowboy
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Depending on what kind of handlebars you have, I would be careful with the turn signal mounts. The ones on the LRS push the lights up to allow clearance with the tank at full lock. So the mounts are parallel to the bars instead of perpendicular. Personally, I think it looks better than the vertical "stems" such as the Street Bob mount, but you lose a lot of adjustment range. This will affect you if you put on bars that have less pullback. I switched to t bars on my LRS and even with the turn signal mounts maxed out, it still looks a bit "cross-eyed" when viewing the bike head on.

The following users liked this post:
silverfoxesq (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 02:04 AM
Trust
Novice
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like I beat you to the signal housing swap. One thing to be aware of is onn the FXDLS the front housings are gloss black, almost every other bike has flat black. I have mine relocated to the forks so the gloss black matches the triple trees better. If you relocate your liscence plate you will need two right
stand offs for the rear

Thats a good looking Street bob you got there

Old 04-18-2017, 09:02 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by silverfoxesq
Has anyone tried this yet, or even thought of this? Has anyone swapped parts from one Dyna to another? If so, is it mostly trial and error for fitment? Thanks everyone for your help!
You need to get the Dyna parts list book for 2016 which will tell you which parts will fit more than one model. I used the 2006 book to confirm that the street bob & low rider use the same fuel tank (along with most other parts) which meant that the lr console & tach would fit my sb. The service manual verified that the wiring harness is also almost identical so tach connection was not difficult. Get the factory books if you plan to do much modifying.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:27 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by silverfoxesq
Has anyone swapped parts from one Dyna to another? If so, is it mostly trial and error for fitment? Thanks everyone for your help!
Insanely common. Half the bikes here probably have at least a few mix-n-match parts from other models/years.

Fitment issues vary by options, model, and year. I'm not well versed on the newer bikes but all of the changes I've made have been preceeded by a lot of research and questions.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:06 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Local guy powder coated my rear shock bolt covers for $10. Probably save a little money, unless you're getting used parts off ebay. I also added H-D caps to finish the look.

Name:  DSC_0039%20corrected2_zpsh4qffsdk.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  634.4 KB

Last edited by boro; 04-18-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:06 AM
silverfoxesq
Novice

Originally Posted by Internet Cowboy
Depending on what kind of handlebars you have, I would be careful with the turn signal mounts. The ones on the LRS push the lights up to allow clearance with the tank at full lock. So the mounts are parallel to the bars instead of perpendicular. Personally, I think it looks better than the vertical "stems" such as the Street Bob mount, but you lose a lot of adjustment range. This will affect you if you put on bars that have less pullback. I switched to t bars on my LRS and even with the turn signal mounts maxed out, it still looks a bit "cross-eyed" when viewing the bike head on.
Thanks Internet Cowboy. I actually don't plan on doing anything with the signal housings except mount them to the forks, so the issue you mention won't apply for me. Good points, though.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:14 AM
silverfoxesq
Novice

Originally Posted by Trust
Looks like I beat you to the signal housing swap. One thing to be aware of is onn the FXDLS the front housings are gloss black, almost every other bike has flat black. I have mine relocated to the forks so the gloss black matches the triple trees better. If you relocate your liscence plate you will need two right
stand offs for the rear

Thats a good looking Street bob you got there …
Thanks Trust, and that is a mighty fine Street Bob you got there, too. That is exactly what my intended plan is: I plan on moving the front signals to the forks when I swap out my chrome handlebars for some black ones.

Speaking of which, I've been told that most <10" bars won't need new cables and wires during the swap: how did your swap go? Any complications? I like the look of those bars, by the way: those happen to be a pair I was eyeing.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:16 AM
silverfoxesq
Novice

Originally Posted by 66cruiser
You need to get the Dyna parts list book for 2016 which will tell you which parts will fit more than one model. I used the 2006 book to confirm that the street bob & low rider use the same fuel tank (along with most other parts) which meant that the lr console & tach would fit my sb. The service manual verified that the wiring harness is also almost identical so tach connection was not difficult. Get the factory books if you plan to do much modifying.
Thanks 66cruiser. I've been using the digital one at https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson.com/sip/ and it has been a bit helpful, though I'm still trying to figure it out. I may just get a new printed one from the dealership and talk to them about it - they're pretty helpful (most of the time).

Old 04-19-2017, 12:18 AM
silverfoxesq
Novice

Originally Posted by cggorman
Insanely common. Half the bikes here probably have at least a few mix-n-match parts from other models/years.

Fitment issues vary by options, model, and year. I'm not well versed on the newer bikes but all of the changes I've made have been preceeded by a lot of research and questions.
Haha … yeah, cggorman, that's pretty much what I thought and why I figured this would be the best spot to ask such an obvious question.

Quick Reply: Street Bob upgraded with Low Rider S Parts?