Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to monitor engine temp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts
Default Best way to monitor engine temp?

What is the best way to monitor engine temp? My Powervision won't display anything when I go into guages, so I was thinking of getting an oil dipstick with the temperature guage on it. I want to see what my normal operating temperature is so I can see what kind of difference there is once I add the following:
proper dyno tune, fan assisted oil cooler, love jugs cooling fans, and vent the crankcase gasses to atmosphere. Unfortunately this 117 is running way too hot. It was 73 degrees the other day and i could just feel it getting too hot. Since mi has high 90s in the summer, this is something I need to address soon.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:22 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I use my Power Vision Are you sure you're setting it up properly to display the reading from the sensor on the rear of the front cylinder? Is your PV working correctly?

Set up your gauge to display engine temperature (ET), that's the sensor reading. I monitor ET, intake temperature (IAT), battery voltage (BV), and cylinder head temperature (CHT).

The CHT number is an algorithm based off the ET and the IAT values...

Old 04-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

No I'm not sure I'm doing it right at all. I tried googling how to view engine temp with power vision with no luck. I click on guages and nothing comes up. I'd like to monitor everything related to engine temp of possible. Iat, head temp, cylinder temp, oil temp etc. do I have to use my computer to add this feature? I suck with technology/computers. Thanks for the help by the way

Old 04-11-2017, 12:52 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

You won't be able to monitor oil temperature, no sensor for that; or for the rear cylinder, either; thanks HD

Check out this video, it will give you a good overview of setting up your gauges...

Old 04-11-2017, 12:57 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Does the PV support additional inputs? 0-5v analog, for example? If so, it would be pretty easy to add oil temp (or whatever).

Old 04-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Love Jugs
Former Sponsor
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickd2689
What is the best way to monitor engine temp? My Powervision won't display anything when I go into guages, so I was thinking of getting an oil dipstick with the temperature guage on it. I want to see what my normal operating temperature is so I can see what kind of difference there is once I add the following:
proper dyno tune, fan assisted oil cooler, love jugs cooling fans, and vent the crankcase gasses to atmosphere. Unfortunately this 117 is running way too hot. It was 73 degrees the other day and i could just feel it getting too hot. Since mi has high 90s in the summer, this is something I need to address soon.
Hey Nick,
Not meaning to be arrogant about Love Jugs it would be to install a Love Jugs cooling system on your bike before you do anything else. You may find that your needs will be fulfilled with that addition alone. All the others are helpful and have value but Love Jugs is not a partial solution, they are a total solution. Although any of our products will do the job, I'd opt for the top of the line Cool-Master with a Frame Mount Kit and perhaps a Vibration-Master. If you do this I hope you will post your results on this forum. You can contact me at 561-499-0974 or steve@love-jugs.com if you want to discuss further. - Steve

Old 04-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks tin cup. That actually helps a lot. When I was going through mine it didn't show the two arrows so maybe I need to update it or something. Does anyone know what optimum cylinder and head temperatures are?

Old 04-11-2017, 01:12 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Love Jugs
Hey Nick,
Not meaning to be arrogant about Love Jugs it would be to install a Love Jugs cooling system on your bike before you do anything else. You may find that your needs will be fulfilled with that addition alone. All the others are helpful and have value but Love Jugs is not a partial solution, they are a total solution. Although any of our products will do the job, I'd opt for the top of the line Cool-Master with a Frame Mount Kit and perhaps a Vibration-Master. If you do this I hope you will post your results on this forum. You can contact me at 561-499-0974 or steve@love-jugs.com if you want to discuss further. - Steve
i understand, but when it's 98 degrees out, how well are fans gonna cool the motor at a stop by blowing hot air at the cylinders? I know it will provide some cooling but I believe it would be best to start with a fan assisted oil cooler since the oil is actually circulated inside the engine. Not trying to insult your product, I just think I'd be better off cooling both exterior and internal components.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks tin cup. That actually helps a lot. When I was going through mine it didn't show the two arrows so maybe I need to update it or something. Does anyone know what optimum cylinder and head temperatures are?

You should install the WinPV software if you haven't yet; the Power Vision will plug in to the USB port on the computer and use the WinPV update client; Dynojet issues firmware upgrades frequently, it's a good idea to keep your PV up to date; the update client will retrieve the latest updates for you, the install is a simple press of the button.

As far as 'optimum' temperatures? Lots of debate there; I just know the Twin Cam runs too hot for its own good so I use the Limbo method; how low can you go

Cooling is a multi-layered approach, no magic bullets out there. A great tune, free flowing exhausts, free flowing A/C's venting to atmosphere, oil coolers, changing out the 'EPA cams', tank lifts, coil relocations, permanent oil filters, filter relocations, fans, etc, etc, etc. Each mod brings cooling to the table but it's a step by step approach to achieve good results, it's not a one and done situation...

Old 04-11-2017, 02:17 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

i understand, but when it's 98 degrees out, how well are fans gonna cool the motor at a stop by blowing hot air at the cylinders? I know it will provide some cooling but I believe it would be best to start with a fan assisted oil cooler since the oil is actually circulated inside the engine. Not trying to insult your product, I just think I'd be better off cooling both exterior and internal components.
98° is still ~150-200° COOLER than the engine. Just sayin.

Not that I would ever hang fans off the side of my Harley.

The following users liked this post:
TinCupChalice (04-11-2017)

Quick Reply: Best way to monitor engine temp?