Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Mount Plate Broke Off!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 05:08 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Side Mount Plate Broke Off!!!

Wow, atleast your mount was wired to the bike so you didn't lose your plate. Sice I had no license plate light and no tail light on mine I lost my license plate in the process. Im off to the DMV in a few minutes. Its going to be $17 for a new plate and $17 for the new registration stickers. Sucks.

Old 06-05-2007, 05:59 PM
rocklayer2
Road Captain

Looks likea bad weld. You could just have it welded back together. Just make sure to take all paint off the area before welding to get a good bond.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:39 PM
Stanger
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rocklayer,
You are correct in that I could re-weld it and that is an option, but that is not what I am concerned about. I have had two of these, and NKAUF21, my first one came off at 75mph completely, went ripping accross the highway and by the grace of God I was the last in the pack! And now this one did the same thing, although we caught it in the neighborhood, right after we got done on a 150 mile run. I just want Gary to know about this so that he can properly fix the problem and then let all of you who have one to take note of what I and maybe some others have experienced, not to bad mouth anyone but to possibly save anyone from getting hurt from one coming off on the highway while you are in the middle of a pack. I believe that it is just a fluke of a few of the plates being welded by an outside source and not being welded correctly as you stated rocklayer. I have talked with Gary a few times and he is a great person to work with and I know that he will take care of the problem and anyone that may experience this problem.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 PM
bobbin
Cruiser

mine broke off at the weld to from dreamweavers. he also said i am the first to have one break, and he out sourced the welding in a batch. personally i think they are junk the way they come and need to have a backer plate. i would not recommend them unless you are going to reinforce it yourself. i am waiting for this other one to break too. ya they look great but they are for bar hoppers not for hard riding.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Okay, well....thanks for saying something guys....I will reinforce my dreamweavers plate prior to install! I am all about RELIABILITY 1st, 2nd is looks, 3rd is comfort. I know Comfort should be 2nd, but I am a chopper guy at heart, and she's gotta look good, for me to be happy!

P.S. I will e-mail gary at dreamweaverprostreet.com and let him know that the word is getting out about $hitty welds breaking....Gary is a super guy, but pressure from consumers will make the product better, as I don't want to see anyone get screwed.

Joe
[&:]

Old 06-05-2007, 11:51 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,105 Likes on 2,119 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stanger

Mud take a look at this pic and see what you think.
.................................................. ..........................
Stanger, when I look at your picture, it is not what I see,

but, what I don't see.

I don't see any tearing away of metal from the plate mount.

Appears that the paint, or powder coating, was holding the two pieces together.

Obviously, as you have stated, there is no penetration/fusion.
Ideally, the penetration would be near full depth.

Way too much outsourcing in this once great country of ours.
When they can't outsource, they now want to legalise insourcing of the labor.
Sad indeed. The almighty dollar.

As well, I would have added a simple gusset.

Too much weight leveraged out there, even without the Taillite.

The weld, and the design,appears to be defective,
from what I can see in your picture.

mud

Old 06-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Stanger
Road Master

Thanks Mudd for the comments. Just about what I was thinking.
Here is my idea, here in Washington State, the city police can not figure out if vertical plates are legal or not, so I am going to have a machinest buddy of mine re-weld the piece so that it is normal layout (not vertical) cut off and re-weld on the light and and gusset the thing.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Stanger
Road Master

Ok, so I get a response from "Gary" at Dreamweavers, and here is what he had to say:

we have not had this problem with ahyone else and Have
no garentee on these (please see your reciept) I sent
a second out to try to do the right thing.You must
have some issues of vibration or not mounting it ona
flat surface.I have 575 of these out there and none of
the probles your having are happening needless to say
twice to the same person.....what do you want to
happen..sorry for any problems that we may have caused
.I am at a loss for an explanation and recommend you
use another type of light

This was just sent to me today. Now this really makes me take a step back and wonder what the Hell! He says that no one else has had this problem. Well according to what I have read here, that is not all true. He did send me out a second one a few months ago only because the first one failed alsoand now thisone has just come apart and funny part is that I have both pieces that were left on the bike and you can see that they both were not welded correctly (I think it is called a cold weld). I sent him the pics of the parts, no comment about how the weld is incorrect and/or an acknowledgement of a bad part sold, twice none the less. This is were I get a bit torqued! I handled both situations with class and respect that he (Gary) would take the info. and use to better the equipment and well I will stop here before I go off on a tangent.
Anyways, EVERYONE that has one of these please be careful, the first one came off while I was on the highway and was like a razor blade slidingand skipping on the road, thank goodness no one was behind me. Just wanted to pass along what I have been told. Good luck to all

Old 06-06-2007, 03:35 PM
davidchristopher
Cruiser

So basically Gary needs to

(1) Invest in better welding contracts
(2) Invest in a spell checker.

I'd probably have him do #2 first because now he has a PR problem on his hands, in addition to shoddy product.

I was just going to make mine this winter when the bike went off the road for the season, so I wasn't ever in the market for one of these things, but with a response like that you can be assured I'd never do business with him.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Stanger
Road Master

Davidchristopher,
Ya I am really surprised that this was his response. So I emailed him back and gave him the what fors and why and well I gave him an out if he chooses to use it is another story. Really is to bad to because the actualy unit looks great, but dam .............. Oh well

Quick Reply: Side Mount Plate Broke Off!!!