Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Jackyl's Tank Lift - some helpful hints

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007 | 07:21 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended
Default Installed Jackyl's Tank Lift - some helpful hints

I just installed my 2" tank lift from Jackyl.

The product is great - well made and a very good value.

Let me mention that I am a perfectionist mechanically (otherwise I constantly worry about what is going wrong) - so a few helpful hints for people who are going to embark on this:

1. The triple tree bolt did clear my tank (by a nats breath) - but I still decided to dremel out my real mounting hole a little to open up that space (because of bike vibration etc). I probably moved the tank back about 1/16" or 3/32" or so - so now there is a decent gap when the bars are hard over left.

2. The screw that holds the clip for the front brake line does hit the tank lift bolt when the bars are hard over right - but that is not big deal (ona recent lowrider with the fork lock on the stem, you have to lock the wheel to the left).

3. The bracket itself (the lift) was a touch wide over the backbone tank mount. I didn't notice until after I tightened it, and the bracket did bend a little bit. If I had to do it again, I would have put in a washer between the lift and the center bracket.

4. The lift top mount was a touch narrow compared to the tank itself. I noticed this and DID put in a washer before tightening. THe one thing I worried about with a lift is to not cause a crack in a tank weld - because I'm sure the dealer would love to point the finger.

5. The vent hose on my tank would not quite reach - so I replaced it with a longer hose. It is a 7/32" hose. I couldn't find a fuel rated hose in that size - so I put in a vacuum hose for now (it is only gasoline vapor, shouldn't have liquid in it).

6. While the stock crossover did fit, it was hard up against the backbone and I wanted a little slack. So I did buy a 1/4" fuel line and replace the crossover. This required draining the tank which is a bit of a pain, but I want to do a mod later that will require removing it, so I figure it was good practice. Not difficult actually - as long as you are careful not to spill gasoline all over the engine.

Anyway, I love the new look - it has changed the profile quite a bit. I took it for a ride and it seems as if buffeting has quieted down - but I'll need some time to really have a comparison. I also love to be able to get in to clean the top of the rocker boxes.

Overall - I'm very pleased. I think it gives the lowrider a kind of "fxr" feel to it. Here is a picture (with my new Boss bags as well).

[IMG]local://upfiles/16065/B23AA874AD7C439BA8D31707A440FDE4.jpg[/IMG]

Here is the bike without the lift

[IMG]local://upfiles/16065/2DEB3758E829424B98C6869D32B9372D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-02-2007 | 07:37 PM
West_Tn_Biker
Cruiser
Default RE: Installed Jackyl's Tank Lift - some helpful hints

Nice job. And some very helpful hints. Am seriously thinking about putting the 2" tank lift on my 03 Wide Glide. Thanks again

Old 06-02-2007 | 08:06 PM
Roadan
Cruiser

I also installed a 2" kit on my wifes Lowrider and a 2" lift on my Roadking today. I did have to elongate the rear tank mount a bit but it's good now. Unfortunately, because of recent handlebar change, the clutch cable and the throttle cables are being pinched between the triple tree and the top mount. The cables were tight but workable before but now we have to change them. Oh well, more shiny stuff.Sorry, no pics yet. I'm too stupid to figure out how to make them small enough to post.
Dan

Old 06-03-2007 | 07:19 AM
Black Bart
Road Master

Warren,
I noticed the same issue with the lower triple tree bolt touching the tank at full left lock. So I'll just have to open up the rear mount a bit to slide it back a little. A minor issue however compared to the benefits of having the tank lift installed. It really does cut down on the air pressure being felt against the chest at speed. Kind of a side benefit. I got it cause I wanted my bike to look better. Hmmmm...two bennies for the price of one.

Bart

Old 06-04-2007 | 05:33 PM
Roadan
Cruiser

Ok, I'm still fairly stupid, but I did figure out how to get the pictures up.
Dan

[IMG]local://upfiles/25710/507BC256BE6244B3BD744A6B16FD3766.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25710/BFFB3E642533444A8DCBC1E5A9262B17.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25710/692C8DDA834847DABEDE4446983633E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-05-2007 | 02:43 AM
six8olds
Advanced

I just spent 3 hours making my own brackets, (I know I'm slow) and came to find out that the Pro-One wide-glidetrees are too thick. There is only like 1 inch between the tank and the triple tree. When I installed, I could only turn the bars about 2 inches each way. Moving the tank back won't compensate that much. Oh well, it looked great though, and I was proud of my little brackets too!

Old 06-06-2007 | 08:41 AM
The Dude
Tourer

Not trying to hijack this thread , but does anyone run the lift with a set of HD pullback risers? I have a set of risers I haven't put on yet, but I understand theyjust hitthe console without the lift. Lifting the tank up, would the lift move the console up and back slightly? I am thinking of the two inch lift. This would be on a wide glide.

Old 06-06-2007 | 09:05 AM
RidinLow07
Intermediate

Looks good, I installed the 2 inch lift to my lowrider too and also had to elongate the rear tank mounting holes with a dremel. It looks better and there is less wind buffeting and on the lowrider it makes the gauges easier to see. Lots of benefits for a small amount of money.

Old 06-06-2007 | 10:03 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

You got the thick or the thin trees? Nice A$$ trees by the way!

ORIGINAL: six8olds

I just spent 3 hours making my own brackets, (I know I'm slow) and came to find out that the Pro-One wide-glidetrees are too thick. There is only like 1 inch between the tank and the triple tree. When I installed, I could only turn the bars about 2 inches each way. Moving the tank back won't compensate that much. Oh well, it looked great though, and I was proud of my little brackets too!

Old 06-06-2007 | 01:00 PM
six8olds
Advanced

The thick trees. They are about 3.5 inches thick apiece.