Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:30 PM
kwrdkc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sissy bar installation

I had the shop install my license relocation kit as well as HD detachable mounting hardware for my 2015 Street Bob. My solo bag sticks out fatter than I'd care for. Question is how do I go about installing a rigid sissy bar? I am unsure what the original hardware looked like. Can I just unbolt the detachable pieces and Pip in the rigid sissy bar? Or do I need to remove the mounting bracket that's underneath the rear fender and use the original bolts?

Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

You don't really have to get rid of the dock points unless you want to. The bolt on sissybar should bolt on between the fender and the fender struts. So take your bags off and take one bolt at a time out and you won't have to actually take anything apart. Do one side at a time.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:07 PM
kwrdkc
Novice

I want to get rid of the dock points because they make my Bad & G bag stick out. Crap! Am I going to have to mess with any electrical with that rear turn signal?

Old 03-13-2017, 08:45 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by kwrdkc
I want to get rid of the dock points because they make my Bad & G bag stick out. Crap! Am I going to have to mess with any electrical with that rear turn signal?

then you can. Just put the factory bolts in in their place. No. If you already had the turn signals relocated you won't have to mess with em. If they weren't relocated you'd just have to run the wiring through the side plates but you shouldn't even have to depin the connector for that, just disconnect it, pull it through and reconnect it. It's very simple, I think you're overthinking this

Old 03-13-2017, 08:47 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ug9hl4CTT0U

this isn't a Dyna but it's the same thing. And if your turn signals have already been relocated, you will just have a bolt in their place.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 PM
kwrdkc
Novice

Looks like the turn signal wiring runs through this bolt. Any thoughts on this Nickd2689?

Old 03-14-2017, 05:47 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I've never seen that type of relocation kit, but yea you will have to disconnect the wiring to install the sissy bar. No big deal though, it's very simple.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

Send a pic of your bike if you have one plEase

Old 03-14-2017, 09:42 AM
kwrdkc
Novice

This isn't my bike, but very similar. Except since mine is a 2015 it doesn't have that fender tail light. This relocation kit just extends the turn signals to allow for the the detachable hardware. Would I have to cut the wires and solder back together this way? It's just that main docking point that pushes too much into the bag. Plus I want to install the rigid sissy bar so have to somehow disconnect the turn signal anyway to get it there.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by kwrdkc
This isn't my bike, but very similar. Except since mine is a 2015 it doesn't have that fender tail light. This relocation kit just extends the turn signals to allow for the the detachable hardware. Would I have to cut the wires and solder back together this way? It's just that main docking point that pushes too much into the bag. Plus I want to install the rigid sissy bar so have to somehow disconnect the turn signal anyway to get it there.

No cutting! Bad ju-ju. All the rear fender wiring can be disconnected at the underseat connectors and fed out. With the bike on the lift I can reach up under the fender and remove all the wiring and then get it back in the fender channels. No need to remove the rear wheel or pull the lower shock bolts.

Use blue tape and label the connectors, saves you some drama

The following users liked this post:
kwrdkc (03-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Sissy bar installation