Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't understand need to open primary to install forward controls on 2014 FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017 | 04:58 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser

HD's part number for that bracket is #34639-01 for 01 and up years or
#34639-93 for 1993-2000. The instructions and kit number are on HD's site listed under the Wide Glide at least for my 03.

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....ocument/102147

Old 03-13-2017 | 06:45 PM
Helmsy67
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tdw
That kit #49080-03A, is the kit my dealer ordered and plans to install. I'll find out late today if he is OK with doing a non-standard installation by ignoring the primary. I suppose I could do the installation myself, since everything is out in the open. But even though I'm pretty handy with tools, when it comes to installations that could cost me my life if I screw them up, I'm happy to pay the dealer.
I'm not saying don't trust your dealer but I trust myself to do the the absolute best work possible on my own bike especially knowing that it's something important. That's the main reason my bike hasn't seen a shop since I rolled it off the showroom floor. Something to remember the Harley techs are just working their 9-5 thinking about when lunch is or if it's almost quitting time just like us.

Old 03-13-2017 | 07:51 PM
tdw
|
6th Gear

Excellent point. I have the time and tools, so maybe I should have more self confidence. I've fixed plenty of other stuff over the years. As an aside, I read the installation instructions for the forward controls, and even in those, there is no obvious reason for entering the primary - except cosmetic. I look forward to what my dealer says tomorrow. It's plausible that he will have to follow the installation instructions to the letter - liability being the issue - even if he agrees it's just cosmetics. I might end up just buying the kit and go from there.

Old 03-13-2017 | 08:42 PM
jdvorchak
Road Captain

Thank you for posting that url. I just bought one. I did have my mid shifter control tie wrapped to the shift arm.

I checked at my HD dealer and while the part is in the forward kit, that part is not available separately. At least that was the case a year ago.

Oh I have a chrome cap covering the mid shift shaft outside the primary.

Old 03-14-2017 | 07:57 AM
smallwoodcd
Cruiser

I don't recall seeing the bracket in my fwd kit that I bought a few months back.
Thanks to those that posted the part number.....it appears to be available from folks like Boardtracker and New Castle....and eBay. In chrome....of course!
To the OP.....this is a fairly simple job. I was all prepared to open up the primary but wasn't looking fwd to it when the HD mechanic that lives a couple doors up from me came by and said there was no reason to get into the primary (should have but didn't check the forum first!). Saved me a few hrs of work and I'm able to swap back to mids if need be.

Old 03-14-2017 | 08:29 AM
jeffrob07
Tourer

Originally Posted by smallwoodcd
I don't recall seeing the bracket in my fwd kit that I bought a few months back.
Thanks to those that posted the part number.....it appears to be available from folks like Boardtracker and New Castle....and eBay. In chrome....of course!
To the OP.....this is a fairly simple job. I was all prepared to open up the primary but wasn't looking fwd to it when the HD mechanic that lives a couple doors up from me came by and said there was no reason to get into the primary (should have but didn't check the forum first!). Saved me a few hrs of work and I'm able to swap back to mids if need be.
yeah it's nice to have the option to revert back to the mids. That's what I did, and I'm glad I did. Bike is enjoyable to ride. If I have to I can get highway pegs.

Old 03-14-2017 | 09:50 AM
jcgribks
Cruiser

If you bought the forward control kit for 06 and newer then the bracket and chrome cap are not included. I think HD changed up the kit because they were loosing out on service install so they took away the bracket and chrome cap and now added in the primary gaskets so now you have to remove the primary and now they get the service install. The original kit (pre 06) was basically a bolt on kit. The newer kit you have to drain, remove and refill the primary to install the kit which some will just let their dealer install it.

Old 03-14-2017 | 10:02 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member

Have Switchback floorboard kit to put on wife's Low Rider with mids...any one have a picture of this support piece in place? I haven't done the shifter side yet because I don't want to tear the primary apart and she may not like the floorboards anyhow.

Old 03-14-2017 | 11:04 AM
Jay Guild
Grand HDF Member

While this isn't the bracket the OP would use, this is a picture of how they are used.

The following users liked this post:
sharkey (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017 | 11:55 AM
jmeiers
Road Warrior

Did not remove mid-shaft on mine and ran 2 years like that. I put a 30T sprocket on and removed the mid-shaft last summer, only because I had the inner primary off and am sure I will not be going back to mids.

Quick Reply: Don't understand need to open primary to install forward controls on 2014 FXDL