Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which for a LR-S?
VH Competition
1.63%
VH Pro-Pipe
7.32%
VH Big Shot Staggered
7.32%
Bassani Road Rage 2
11.38%
Bassani Road Rage 3
20.33%
D&D Fat Cat
8.94%
Supertrapp
10.57%
Thunderheader
15.45%
Other 2:1 (please list)
15.45%
Other 2:2 or 2:1:2 (please list)
6.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Exhaust poll - Lowrider S

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017 | 07:05 PM
CaptainAwesome
|
Road Master
Default Exhaust poll - Lowrider S

2017 Lowrider S (110 engine, SE intake) PowerVision or other chip to be done with exhaust.

Looking to hear how your exhaust has held up and what it's been like living with it.

I'm stuck and could use a little help with some research. Trying to find the right exhaust for me, I was all set till I heard them in person and now I've got to re-think things.

What I want:
Deep like a muscle car V8 not tricked out by some yahbo.
Loud when I'm on it
Ok for a passenger
Improved power

What I don't want:
Obnoxiously loud
Droning on the highway
Always loud
Catches in the corners
Loss of passenger pegs

From what I've come across in my research a 2:1 results in the best dyno numbers and most seem to be within a couple hp/tq of each other. The Fatcat seems to make the best numbers for the most people, but I have reservations. Quality wise D&D, Bassani, VH are all good. Thunderheaders seem to have issues.

Sound wise from my experience in person:

Fat-Cat: One I heard was a louvered one on a 103, for my engine I would need the perforated one which is supposed to be a little louder and a little deeper. Sadly though, I did not really enjoy the sound of the Fatcat I heard in person. It was on the top of the list for me, but to my ears it was the wrong kind of loud. Straight pipe loud not deep loud.

Bassani: Heard the Road Rage, chrome and black finishes, decent sound yet I felt neutral about it.

Vance Hines Competition pipe: This one was a major surprise to me, it had a lot deeper of a sound than the others and though just as loud was a proper loud to my ear. You could feel the tone rather than just hear it. However I don't know what that might be like on a longer trip and they were on V-Rods. Also I've heard of a few scraping issues but I don't know how much validity there is in that, especially for my bike. I did like the sound of these the best out of what I heard in person that day, considerably.

Still looking to hear a Pro-Pipe and Supertrapp in person. The E-series from Fuel Moto looks like it should preform like the FatCat but with a different sound. Problem I want to hear it in person first. The Harley dealership has been helpful in this regard but winter has gone on long here and there haven't been any large meet ups to try to see some of these in person.

If you have one of these exhausts or have another recommendation I would be interested. I'm interested to see how they've held up for you in the long run and if anything grew annoying over time with them. VH shorts are off my list for that reason.

Thanks

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 03-12-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-12-2017 | 07:38 PM
stonei3
Club Member

Check out red thunder exhaust. Seems to be a higher quality thunder header and that thunder header sounds damn good imo. I'm tempted to try it but will likely stick with what I have.

I have the bassani rr3. Love it. Short pipe so no issues removing rear wheel or accessing and removing the rear M/C cap LOL.

It's definitely loud but has a good tone to it. Nice gurgly goodness on decel. No scraping issues so far.

The following 2 users liked this post by stonei3:
CaptainAwesome (03-12-2017), relykz (03-24-2017)
Old 03-12-2017 | 07:38 PM
averagegeekinkc
Novice

Definitely checkout Two Brothers. I appreciate it's bassy tone.

Also, here is a great comparison video to checkout.

The following 2 users liked this post by averagegeekinkc:
==ShaDoW== (03-15-2017), CaptainAwesome (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017 | 07:39 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain

I've got a Two Brothers Racing on my '16 FXDLS. Only had them on for maybe 2000 miles or so (since late December). I really like it. Not super loud when moving at cruise but if you get on it you DO hear them. Quality is top notch. Install was really easy. I ride just shy of 100 miles per day for commute almost entirely freeway and definitely don't hear a drone. Don't even think about them when I'm going 70-80!

Disclaimer: I do wear a full face helmet and ear plugs with a SENA Bluetooth audio headset. So that could be making it seem quieter.

Edit: passenger pegs are fine. No scraping on corners and I ride pretty hard through mountain roads here in San Diego county

Attached Thumbnails Exhaust poll - Lowrider S-photo281.jpg  

Last edited by WH1_T-type; 03-12-2017 at 07:53 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WH1_T-type:
averagegeekinkc (03-13-2017), CaptainAwesome (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017 | 09:33 PM
Rachet City John
Stage II

Stainless Two Brothers 2 into 1 on my LRS. Absolutely love them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rachet City John:
averagegeekinkc (03-13-2017), CaptainAwesome (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017 | 10:07 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior

Some fitment issues with my 2 bros. But overall like it. Just got back from a rip on hwy 2. Tires rolled to edges and humbled a few Crotch rocketeers. Not one touch down.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highwaymans:
CaptainAwesome (03-12-2017), relykz (03-24-2017)
Old 03-12-2017 | 10:18 PM
WH1_T-type
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Highwaymans
Some fitment issues with my 2 bros. But overall like it. Just got back from a rip on hwy 2. Tires rolled to edges and humbled a few Crotch rocketeers. Not one touch down.

What were the issues?

Old 03-12-2017 | 10:48 PM
CaptainAwesome
|
Road Master

I'll look into Two Brothers, lot more suggestions for them in this section than the Exhaust section of the forums. I'll look into the Red Thunders as well. The Thunderheads I hear a lot about their sound (yet to see one in person), but I hear they have quality issues.

Anyone try the VH Competition? Don't know much about it, just loved the bass it made.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 03-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2017 | 10:57 PM
rbdub474
Road Master

Another vote for the TBR. Excellent fit and finish. And it sounds great.

The following users liked this post:
CaptainAwesome (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017 | 01:49 AM
brasher
Tourer

very happy with my RR3.

Can't scrape it no matter how hard I try, I think the only way it will hit the ground is if I lowside it into the bush.

I think it looks great in the raw finish, it's gotten a nice blue hue around the heads then progresses to a nice golden colour. Rear can is still stainless in colour. I religiously rub it down with wax and grease remover after it's cooled down, keeps the pipe looking brand new.

It's brutally loud when up it, when cruising it's tolerable. I was never a huge fan of the noise of 2-1's but this one has me converted. The power increase is huge too. With a good tune the pull from 2500rpm is pretty impressive. Sadly the stock cam says goodnight around 5000rpm.

The following 2 users liked this post by brasher:
CaptainAwesome (03-13-2017), rockon (08-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Exhaust poll - Lowrider S