Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

61K, time for new cam tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 07:56 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

Skinman, that tensioner does not look good.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:05 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Just stating what I did after buying the 05 Dyna with 17,000 Miles on it for a Great Price, $4,000.00 needing a Fork Seal only .. When went to Fix the Fork Seal added Progressive Drop In Standard Length Fork Springs as Well .. Knew the Tensioners would need replacing eventually so got a great Buy on the SE Hydraulic Cam Tensioner Upgrade Kit including the Fueling Pump .. Also Added Andrews TW21 Cams and Torrington Bearings as well .. Did a Few Other Upgrades of my own doing as well but simply put I have $6500.00 now into one fine Running Bike with 6,000 Miles on it now to prove it .. The Cam Tensioners were not all that bad when did this work but knew the time would come so not worried about anything anytime soon .. Dollar for Dollar this may be the Best Bike ever bought for the money put into it ..

Old 03-10-2017, 06:56 PM
briharley
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

In a similar situation myself, got an 03 FXD with around 33k on it, powedercoated the cam chest cover a few weeks ago so I checked the tensioners while I was in there and by the looks, I gave myself 1k miles until I needed to do something. Cam plate seems like a good upgrade but cant really justify the cost. I'm kinda with the OP, doing the Cyco replacement pads is cheap and should last a long time. The cam plate upgrade does come with a better oil pump, but I'm not sure that justify the $500 difference over the tensioners. I could look into gear drives but my motor is less likely to have acceptable runout and doesnt seem like the way I will end up.

My issue is, since I am in there I would like to throw a cam in. My understanding is you never pull the cams without changing that inner bearing, so I am going to be staring at stock cams on the bench. Makes too much sense to throw a set in there.

My only concern is if I should to it myself. Very mechanically inclined, have all the tools aside from specialty stuff, but part of me wants to let a shop be liable for the work ha ha ha. Decisions decisions.

Old 03-12-2017, 12:01 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Another look at the tensioners

front

rear...I was this close to a messed up engine

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (03-18-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 05:22 PM
briharley
Advanced

Looks like you got them out of the bike relatively quick! You end up doing it yourself? Difficult?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:01 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

not difficult at all...just don't make the mistake I made and make sure you have the right tools before you start.

I borrowed my nephew's tools and the one tool he did not realize that he didn't have the the inner bearing extraction tool until I was looking for it in his tools to pull the bearings. Murphy strikes again. Ordered an installer/removal tool from eBay for $75, should be here in a couple of days. In the meantime, I am getting the parts and pieces together for cam/heads/piston upgrade and exploring different combinations.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 PM
briharley
Advanced

Originally Posted by skinman13
not difficult at all...just don't make the mistake I made and make sure you have the right tools before you start.

I borrowed my nephew's tools and the one tool he did not realize that he didn't have the the inner bearing extraction tool until I was looking for it in his tools to pull the bearings. Murphy strikes again. Ordered an installer/removal tool from eBay for $75, should be here in a couple of days. In the meantime, I am getting the parts and pieces together for cam/heads/piston upgrade and exploring different combinations.
Ya, thats what I am trying to not do. Aside from the inner bearing puller, what other special tools did you need or do you need?

Also, I will probably be doing this very soon so if you want to recoup some of the cost of the puller, PM and I'm sure we could work something out. Even if I just rent it from you or something.

Please keep this thread updated, I'm watching intently lol.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,804 Likes on 9,867 Posts

Call Scott at Hillside for good advise on what to do with your upgrades. Great guy.

Bearing removal tools can be rented for free at autozone and others.

The following users liked this post:
briharley (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM
briharley
Advanced

Originally Posted by QC
Call Scott at Hillside for good advise on what to do with your upgrades. Great guy.

Bearing removal tools can be rented for free at autozone and others.
So the inner bearing tool isnt really a harley specific tool? I always remember there being somethign special about one made for this job.

Old 03-18-2017, 07:05 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by briharley
So the inner bearing tool isnt really a harley specific tool? I always remember there being somethign special about one made for this job.
Jims Inner Cam Bearing Puller does make it a bit easier .. I thought about tackling this myself but have a Local Indy that was More into Metrics, but recently hired a good HD Wrench to broaden his business so got a good price for them to do the work and saved me some headaches and cussing am sure, although it's nice having the satisfaction doing it yourself .. Anyway here's the Jim's Link if interested ..

https://www.denniskirk.com/jims/inne...prd/H28762.sku

Quick Reply: 61K, time for new cam tensioners