Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 dyna chain conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017 | 09:14 AM
96sled
|
Intermediate
Default 2016 dyna chain conversion

so I have a 2016 dyna street bob 13.5 shocks .. looking to run a 24-55 my concern is contact with the primary. I know bung king makes the sliders but can anyone with this set up tell me how much contact you make and if I'm going to be eating up sliders ? Would I be better off running 25-60 sprockets for clearance ?

Thank you!

Old 03-03-2017 | 03:14 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Going from 24 to 25 tooth front sprocket on increases the clearance by 0.1 inches. 60 on the rear might add a little if you are looking for clearance at the swingarm.

I doubt you'll eat up sliders tho the stock bung king one is kind of small.. As long as when the chain is driving (tight) and it still clears the slider you should be good as the only time the slider does anything is when the chain is slacked on top (deceleration).

Old 03-03-2017 | 06:00 PM
96sled
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Going from 24 to 25 tooth front sprocket on increases the clearance by 0.1 inches. 60 on the rear might add a little if you are looking for clearance at the swingarm.

I doubt you'll eat up sliders tho the stock bung king one is kind of small.. As long as when the chain is driving (tight) and it still clears the slider you should be good as the only time the slider does anything is when the chain is slacked on top (deceleration).
got yah kinda what I was thinking I just wanted to chat with someone running this setup already .. I don't want problems down the road

Old 03-19-2017 | 05:54 PM
96sled
|
Intermediate

how do you guys adjust your chain? ive heard mixed opinions ... someone said take a shock off and adjust it like that? you want a half inch a play with you on the bike?

Old 03-19-2017 | 08:55 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Your chain is at the tightest point when the transmission output shaft, the swingarm pivot, and the rear axle is in a straight line. with the bike on a stand, remove both rear shocks, place a ratchet strap over the upper shock mount and under the lower shock mount bolt on the right hand side of the motorcycle lift the swingarm until the above referenced condition is met, adjust your chain until no binding is felt, if the chain is too tight you will feel the swingarm either lift or drop, leave just enough slack in the chain that no forces are applied to the swingarm, make sure you have met the 2% slack rule (Note: you should have to push and pull the chain up and down to verify this slack). This is a perfect chain adjustment that won't wear other stuff out like bearings, put the shocks back on and measure the chain slack again, this is your new chain adjustment measurement.

Please note that this drawing is an example and is not correct for a Dyna, measure your rig and do your own math.

: Mike

The following users liked this post:
F86 (06-12-2017)
Old 03-20-2017 | 05:27 AM
96sled
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Your chain is at the tightest point when the transmission output shaft, the swingarm pivot, and the rear axle is in a straight line. with the bike on a stand, remove both rear shocks, place a ratchet strap over the upper shock mount and under the lower shock mount bolt on the right hand side of the motorcycle lift the swingarm until the above referenced condition is met, adjust your chain until no binding is felt, if the chain is too tight you will feel the swingarm either lift or drop, leave just enough

slack in the chain that no forces are applied to the swingarm, make sure you have met the 2% slack rule (Note: you should have to push and pull the chain up and down to verify this slack). This is a perfect chain adjustment that won't wear other stuff out like bearings, put the shocks back on and measure the chain slack again, this is your new chain adjustment measurement.

Please note that this drawing is an example and is not correct for a Dyna, measure your rig and do your own math.

Oh wow thank you didn't know there was so much to it. So the only thing that confuses me is if your adjusting the chain with no shocks on the bike when you put the shocks on, the chain might be to loose or tight depending where your shocks sit . I have 13.5 shocks . Then you adjust again for the 2% slack?

Old 03-20-2017 | 06:45 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by 96sled
Oh wow thank you didn't know there was so much to it. So the only thing that confuses me is if your adjusting the chain with no shocks on the bike when you put the shocks on, the chain might be to loose or tight depending where your shocks sit . I have 13.5 shocks . Then you adjust again for the 2% slack?
No, adjusting again would defeat the first adjustment

The chain wouldn't be tighter, That's why you moved the swingarm so that everything inline for the adjustment...chain is at it's tightest point.

If someone finds their chain too loose when at "operating" height...then some sort of chain tensioner might be considered

Last edited by multihdrdr; 03-20-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-20-2017 | 07:49 AM
96sled
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
No, adjusting again would defeat the first adjustment

The chain wouldn't be tighter, That's why you moved the swingarm so that everything inline for the adjustment...chain is at it's tightest point.

If someone finds their chain too loose when at "operating" height...then some sort of chain tensioner might be considered

got it, it was early this morning when I read it (pre coffee) haha .. I was missing the swingarm in a straight line with shaft part .. now it makes a lot more sense . Awesome thank you guys

Old 06-12-2017 | 04:15 PM
96sled
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Your chain is at the tightest point when the transmission output shaft, the swingarm pivot, and the rear axle is in a straight line. with the bike on a stand, remove both rear shocks, place a ratchet strap over the upper shock mount and under the lower shock mount bolt on the right hand side of the motorcycle lift the swingarm un
til the above referenced condition is met, adjust your chain until no binding is felt, if the chain is too tight

you will feel the swingarm either lift or drop, leave just enough slack in the chain that no forces are applied to the swingarm, make sure you have met the 2% slack rule (Note: you should have to push and pull the chain up and down to verify this slack). This is a perfect chain adjustment that won't wear other stuff out like bearings, put the shocks back on and measure the chain slack again, this is your new chain adjustment measurement.

so I followed these instructions and I have a vibration in my chain at certain speeds when I look down I can see the chain kinda bouncing up and down , can anyone help? I have 13 inch shocks pbi sprockets front and rear and rk chain

Old 06-12-2017 | 04:54 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

I have no experience with an actual Dyna chain conversion, but have had plenty of other bikes with chains... Nemo's method is right on. I would double check that the sprocket alignment is correct. Also, did you get the sprockets and chain as a set, or did you pick them out individually? If so, make sure that everything is made for the same chain pitch. In all likelihood the wrong chain wouldn't fit on the wrong sprockets, but... Just brainstorming.

Also, have someone measure the slack when you're sitting on an upright bike. As Nemo said, it is possible that you need a tensioner...

Or, it's always possible that I'm clueless!

Quick Reply: 2016 dyna chain conversion