Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 dyna chain conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017 | 07:08 PM
96sled
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F86
I have no experience with an actual Dyna chain conversion, but have had plenty of other bikes with chains... Nemo's method is right on. I would double check that the sprocket alignment is correct. Also, did you get the sprockets and chain as a set, or did you pick them out individually? If so, make sure that everything is made for the same chain pitch. In all likelihood the wrong chain wouldn't fit on the wrong sprockets, but... Just brainstorming.

Also, have someone measure the slack when you're sitting on an upright bike. As Nemo said, it is possible that you need a tensioner...

Or, it's always possible that I'm clueless!
pitch is all correct 530 everything .. everyone I talk to all these dyna people on instagram including Dennis Kirk said to run the chain at 1/2 slack with you on the bike .. or load weight rather you and passenger etc.. chain should be at 1/2 .. so that's what I'm going to try next idk .. my spacing is correct .500 offset front 7/8 rear .. does anyone else feel there chain!? Lol

Old 06-12-2017 | 08:06 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Some chain bounce is normal on the slack side of the chain (throttle on or off). Check the wear pattern on the rear sprocket and verify the wear patterns are the same on both sides of the sprocket, if not recheck your rear wheel alignment. If the patterns look good so is your sprocket alingment, find a nice down hill turn the engine off put the bike in neutral and go for a gravity ride and listen to the chain, it should be a smooth consistent whurr with no popping sounds, popping sounds indicate your sprocket alingment is off. If everything checks out, you just have a bouncy chain.

: Mike

Old 06-12-2017 | 08:13 PM
96sled
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Some chain bounce is normal on the slack side of the chain (throttle on or off). Check the wear pattern on the rear sprocket and verify the wear patterns are the same on both sides of the sprocket, if not recheck your rear wheel alignment. If the patterns look good so is your sprocket alingment, find a nice down hill turn the engine off put the bike in neutral and go for a gravity ride and listen to the chain, it should be a smooth consistent whurr with no popping sounds, popping sounds indicate your sprocket alingment is off. If everything checks out, you just have a bouncy chain.

thats for the advice nemo .. the bounce is on both sides of the chain, I used the motion pro tool to align my sprocket with the chain it seems like its dead on. My concern with the bouncy chain is that the vibration is going to wear something out or loosen something up lol

Old 06-12-2017 | 08:57 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Originally Posted by 96sled
thats for the advice nemo .. the bounce is on both sides of the chain, I used the motion pro tool to align my sprocket with the chain it seems like its dead on. My concern with the bouncy chain is that the vibration is going to wear something out or loosen something up lol
How many miles is on your set up?

Old 06-12-2017 | 09:06 PM
96sled
|
Intermediate

How many miles is on your set up?
maybe 500 not even

Old 06-12-2017 | 09:21 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

whats the benefit to going to a chain conversion?
is it a gearing change only or does the chain set up have any other advantage?

Old 06-12-2017 | 09:24 PM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member

btw
I think the chain looks bad *** in the pic
when ever i seen a chain on a new dyna i think "that guy most have some serious performance mods"
right or wrong i dont know

Old 06-12-2017 | 09:44 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Originally Posted by 96sled
maybe 500 not even
I would say if it passes the roll test, run it another 500 miles and it should smooth out as it takes a few miles for the chain and sprockets to get friendly. I would also call PBI explain what's going on and ask their opinion as I'm sure they will have a few words of advice, I have used their stuff for years on more than a few bikes and have found them very easy to deal with.

Old 06-12-2017 | 09:49 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master

Can you post a photo of the wear pattern on the rear sprocket ?

Old 06-12-2017 | 10:36 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Can you post a photo of the wear pattern on the rear sprocket ?
Good idea.. Pic of the sprocket teeth from both sides will show alignment issues.

Quick Reply: 2016 dyna chain conversion