Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Bearing Race Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:44 PM
JatdinTheOG
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering Bearing Race Installation

Lower
Hey guys,

so i started a project to completely change out my '11 triple trees. The '11 stock top triple tree comes with built in risers. I wanted bigger risers so it seemed pretty obvious I needed to change the whole triple tree. I have successfully pulled apart the old triple tree and bearing race that goes into the neck. The only problem I am finding is installaing the new races. Yes I realize that I shouldn't have replaced them as they had no damage. But I didn't think of that prior to removing them. Now when I am seeding the bearing cup in the neck, I am not sure I have reached the bottom. I have included pictures. I do have a tool to seed it in all the way but the tool needs way more strength than I can apply. Which makes me think I've reached the bottom.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 PM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

It's hard to tell in the pic but... Install it, tighten it to spec and ride it. If it's not fully seated, you'll find out soon enough..

Old 02-15-2017, 10:23 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,222 Posts

Originally Posted by JatdinTheOG

when I am seeding the bearing cup in the neck, I am not sure I have reached the bottom.
Once it hits bottom - there will be a distinctive different sound (hard..., instead of hollow) as you're hitting it

There will also be a distinctive "hard" feel when you hit it

iow - sound and feel will validate it seated correctly

Ghost

Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM
leafman60
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost_13
Once it hits bottom - there will be a distinctive different sound (hard..., instead of hollow) as you're hitting it

There will also be a distinctive "hard" feel when you hit it

iow - sound and feel will validate it seated correctly

Ghost
ditto

Old 02-18-2017, 06:47 PM
JatdinTheOG
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the responses. I've been trying to reply but I guess mods arent getting my request? Anyway. Heres my issue that i noticed when i was riding which made me pull it apart again in the first place.

When i was riding I was hearing a metal clank noise over every bump. The Harley mech said that it could be the gap i had between the top triple tree and the neck. I have been running this through my mind and it doesnt physically make sense for the neck and the top tree to sit flush. If the race was fully seated and i have a bearing in there with the steering nut, all of that would not equate to the amount the top tree needs to go down (or atleast i think). Does anyone have a picture of their top triple and neck to see if theres a gap between them? I can clearly see a piece of my steering nut. Is that normal?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,041 Likes on 4,075 Posts

Originally Posted by JatdinTheOG
Thanks for the responses. I've been trying to reply but I guess mods arent getting my request? Anyway. Heres my issue that i noticed when i was riding which made me pull it apart again in the first place.

When i was riding I was hearing a metal clank noise over every bump. The Harley mech said that it could be the gap i had between the top triple tree and the neck. I have been running this through my mind and it doesnt physically make sense for the neck and the top tree to sit flush. If the race was fully seated and i have a bearing in there with the steering nut, all of that would not equate to the amount the top tree needs to go down (or atleast i think). Does anyone have a picture of their top triple and neck to see if theres a gap between them? I can clearly see a piece of my steering nut. Is that normal?

Thanks
What bike / model year? Sounds like an FXDWG..

Old 02-19-2017, 02:06 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

According to my '03 Service Manual the cup must be firmly seated against the shoulder of the bore.

If you take out the cup and put it in the freezer for a while it wil shrink a little which will help to put it back into place as it should be. Heating the seat in the bore will help as well.

See from 5:30 in this YouTube video: