Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front signal wire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Front signal wire?

I've read every thread I believe on this subject, but I'm still confused about 1 thing. On the 2012 Street Bob, the HD installation instructions say to cut the wires up at the top near the grommet, then split the 2 wires, shrink wrap'em, and tuck'em back in. I'm seeing 3 wires, not 2?
I simply cut them, left the grommet intact, and rode withoutt them all summer, but I'm considering relocating them to the trees, but need to have this clear in my head before I start.
Thanks for any help.
jeff

Old 02-09-2017, 05:23 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I eliminated my front indicators and I have 3 wires as well. I snipped the wires at 1/2", put a small pc of shrink wrap on it and tucked it inside the switch housing. Not sure why their saying 2 wires unless it wasnt set up with running lights which is likely the case. Since our bikes have running lights with 3 wires its self evident. One blinks, one is for runners and one is either ground or hot, cant recall which.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Default Front signal wire

So you used a single shrink wrap over all the wires together? You didn't shrink wrap them all separately?I'm assuming there's enough room under the control housing to fold them up in there then.
thanks for the help

Old 02-09-2017, 08:03 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,322 Likes on 3,178 Posts

3 wires, ground, run, turn. Wrap separately to prevent shorting or back feeding if they get wet.
Or use liquid tape on the ends to seal the ends then you're all set. That ***** amazing.

Last edited by RANGER73; 02-09-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:21 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Default Front turn signal

"Liquid tape", that's interesting. Those wires seem like they'd be a pain in the *** to shrink wrap individually.
Thanks

Old 02-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

An auto electrician mate gave me a couple of yards of small-diameter heat-shrink tubing with a layer of hot melt glue on the inside. Not sure what brand it is, sorry.

I use if for waterproofing and reinforcing joins in wires, and for reliably sealing off cut ends of wires. Put a piece about half-inch over the end of the wire, with the cut end in the middle of the tube. Heat it and pinch the end shut. Done!

Old 02-10-2017, 05:06 AM
jqb12
Road Master
Default Front signal wire

OK, sounds simple enough. Thanks for the help

Old 02-10-2017, 08:55 AM
jqb12
Road Master

Originally Posted by RANGER73
3 wires, ground, run, turn. Wrap separately to prevent shorting or back feeding if they get wet.
Or use liquid tape on the ends to seal the ends then you're all set. That ***** amazing.
So once I open up the housing, I'll have enough slack to do this?

Last edited by jqb12; 02-14-2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:24 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

Do the three wires get integrated into the CANBUS harness at the switch housing in 2012 or are they still a separate entity and still maintained within their own sleeve from the light to the connector at the neck like prior years? From what I read, it sounds like you are trying to figure out how to get power to them once you relocate them to the trees, is this correct?

Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

From what I can gather on the installation instructions for the relocation kit, you need to use the wires from the sigs to build a connector to plug into the two unused connector on the harness in the neck intended for this mod. I problem I see is that you only have a few inches of cable on the sigs, correct, which isn't going to be enough to allow you to wire it all the way to the neck and your going to have to add extension wires to allow this to happen, which means soldering wires together and then more heat shrink. If you want to keep this clean looking and not have to do all the splicing, you should look for some used front turn sigs that have the complete harness intact from an earlier year, the way they want you to wire it is by-passing the CANBUS system and the reason you need to perform BCM front turn signal auto-learn procedure, any three wire front sig set should work. The three wires on your lights should be Black (ground), Blue (running) and Brown or Purple (turn signal). If you're lucky the used sigs if fully intact, should plug right into your two unused connectors in the neck.

Something like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/harley-david...NYmSyb&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Front signal wire?