Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 FXDP Brembo conversion rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Feileod
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2001 FXDP Brembo conversion rotors

For those of you running touring Brembo calipers on your 39mm Dynas. Which model/manufacturer 11.8" rotors did you use? Is there one that does not require you to machine countersunk recesses for the mounting bolts?

Last edited by Feileod; 02-08-2017 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:02 PM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Feileod
For those of you running touring Brembo calipers on your 39mm Dynas. Which rotors did you use? Specifically year/model cross-reference? Is there one that does not require you to machine countersunk recesses for the mounting bolts?
I didn't have to bore anything out, mine bolted up just fine to the 13 spoke mags. No shims, or weird spacers, they work perfect. Im running 11.8 HD "Vivid Black" floating rotors for a Street/Road Glide. If you go with HD rotors, they just have to be the rotors for a bagger. you can use any rotor really, but its preferred they be 11.8 when mounting to the 39mm. The Brembo caliper pads on the 39mm make 100% contact with the 11.8 rotor, the 11.5 i believe (stock did for older dyna) are too small for the whole brake pad to contact, if that makes sense.

Old 02-07-2017, 10:17 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Yes this rotor counter-bore issue comes up when you have narrowglide.

The Stock OE 11.8 (300mm) rotors from 06-later Dynas and 08-later Touring are not counter-bored.

The Harley Accessory floating rotors are usually counter-bored.

Wilwood makes some inexpensive NON floating 11.8 counter-bored rotors:
http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorP...emno=160-13355

They are Cheap here:
https://www.summitracing.com/search/...e-brake-rotors

Here's a pic of GVan's bike with the Wilwood on it. They started out all black

Last edited by multihdrdr; 02-07-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:56 AM
astra
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got some Brembos for my 2002 FXDX. Have the same concerns.

Also wondering about the differing brake fluid. Preety sure my FDX uses DOT 4 rather than DOT 5 (or vice versa).

Is that going to be a problem?

Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 AM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

For those of you running touring Brembo calipers on your 39mm Dynas. Which rotors did you use? Specifically year/model cross-reference? Is there one that does not require you to machine countersunk recesses for the mounting bolts?
When I did it, I just bought a pair off of Ebay that were the 300mm and appeared to be countersunk. I think they were about $140 or so. Rolled the dice and got lucky. Multihdrdr hit the nail on the head for years and and size.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:51 PM
TheSSPirate
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by astra
Just got some Brembos for my 2002 FXDX. Have the same concerns.

Also wondering about the differing brake fluid. Preety sure my FDX uses DOT 4 rather than DOT 5 (or vice versa).

Is that going to be a problem?
I can't remember which is which off the top of my head. Whatever fluid was ran in the brembos (fluid from a 08-up touring) use that. Bleed your lines on the DX dry, rebuild your master cylinder with the kit from HD, its easy, and clean the reservoir out good. Try your hardest to get ALL of the fluid out good. Then once your lines and master are clear, install brembos and fill and re-bleed the brakes with the new fluid. That what I did and its works just fine. Just remember that now your front brakes have different fluid than the back.

Note: as you fill and bleed your brakes with the new fluid, you'll notice the color different when draining into a bottle from from the bleeder on the brembos. You obviously want the same color coming out that you're putting in.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:16 PM
Feileod
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BFMCdyna
When I did it, I just bought a pair off of Ebay that were the 300mm and appeared to be countersunk. I think they were about $140 or so. Rolled the dice and got lucky. Multihdrdr hit the nail on the head for years and and size.

Yeah I am tracking the 11.8 size, I was just curious if anyone had found some that didn't require a trip to the machine shop for recessing.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:31 PM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah I am tracking the 11.8 size, I was just curious if anyone had found some that didn't require a trip to the machine shop for recessing.
Yeah, mine did not require a trip to the mill. I searched Ebay for 11.8" rotors for a CVO touring 08 and up. The results were all countersunk and I picked the shiniest ones.

Old 02-08-2017, 05:52 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

so Feileod, now you know a few that don't require machining...yes?

Old 02-09-2017, 07:27 AM
astra
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate
I can't remember which is which off the top of my head. Whatever fluid was ran in the brembos (fluid from a 08-up touring) use that. Bleed your lines on the DX dry, rebuild your master cylinder with the kit from HD, its easy, and clean the reservoir out good. Try your hardest to get ALL of the fluid out good. Then once your lines and master are clear, install brembos and fill and re-bleed the brakes with the new fluid. That what I did and its works just fine. Just remember that now your front brakes have different fluid than the back.

Note: as you fill and bleed your brakes with the new fluid, you'll notice the color different when draining into a bottle from from the bleeder on the brembos. You obviously want the same color coming out that you're putting in.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do this.

Ordered the Wildwood rotors mentioned above as well.

Good info in this thread.

Quick Reply: 2001 FXDP Brembo conversion rotors