Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tune Fraud???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 07:07 PM
Jargray2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno Tune Fraud???

So the title says it all. I got my bike dyno tuned at my local dealership and I'm feeling a little bit like I got scammed. The first thing that seemed off to me was that they didn't use my own bike for a baseline. They used some other random bike from November of 2014 as the baseline and then compared my new tune against that (which I've never heard of doing). The second issue that threw me off was the "tuned" power curves. I'm currently running a V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 system with no baffles. In my previous experience with no baffles you'd see that lovely dip in power between 2500 and 3500 rpm. I called another dealership 50 miles away and I'm going to have them do a dyno pull for me just so I can compare it to the printout I received at my local dealer ship. Check out the picture and let me know what you think please. I've never seen a dyno pull with no baffles be that smooth, but then again I'm not a dyno expert. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2017, 08:02 PM
misfitJason
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,056 Likes on 669 Posts

What good does doing a base pull from another bike do? You got ripped

The following users liked this post:
Jargray2 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm no expert as I'm new to tuning, but I think your hp/tq should be higher by 61/80. I thought stock was 66/86. What performance upgrades to you have exactly?

Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Wasted money either way.

stage 1, yes?

Old 02-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

When you have the Harley dealer dyno tune your bike, do they tune it lean as **** like the factory does? Or maybe add just enough fuel for your performance modifications?

Old 02-03-2017, 09:32 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,544 Posts

I would present this to the GM of the dealership and in an adult conversation let the GM what you paid for is not representative of the work you received. Was your bike available for the basic dyno? Did they do the work? Give them a chance to make it right. If they won't, bring in some legal help for fraud.

Jargray2 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,840 Likes on 3,203 Posts

Originally Posted by Jargray2
I'm feeling a little bit like I got scammed
If what you posted is accurate - you did

The first thing that seemed off to me was that they didn't use my own bike for a baseline.

They used some other random bike from November of 2014 as the baseline and then compared my new tune against that (which I've never heard of doing).

This is not a base line - it a comparison of two entirely dissimilar bikes

No excuse for using a different bike for the baseline

The second issue that threw me off was the "tuned" power curves. I'm currently running a V&H Big Radius 2 into 2 system with no baffles.

In my previous experience with no baffles you'd see that lovely dip in power between 2500 and 3500 rpm. I've never seen a dyno pull with no baffles be that smooth
It dips in that range - nature of the beast

but then again I'm not a dyno expert. Thanks!
You've evidently picked up some knowledge

=============

Dealer cannot.., by law (epa) tune a bike correctly

Hit up an indy dyno / tune shop and let them work their magic

Do your due diligence first to ensure they're competent - many don't know their *** from a hole in the ground - but the ones who do - make magic happen

Ghost

Jargray2 (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Jargray2
Novice

Originally Posted by cvaria
Wasted money either way.

stage 1, yes?
Yes, stage one.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:06 AM
Jargray2
Novice

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I would present this to the GM of the dealership and in an adult conversation let the GM what you paid for is not representative of the work you received. Was your bike available for the basic dyno? Did they do the work? Give them a chance to make it right. If they won't, bring in some legal help for fraud.
I bought the bike there new and had them put on the pipes and air cleaner before I picked it up. I requested that they put a canned map in it at that time. After my break in period I planned to take it back for a custom map, and this is what I ended up with.

I would have thought they'd do a base pull when I brought my bike in and then they'd tune it so I could see the improvements they made from my baseline. Clearly, that's not what I got.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:19 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Yes, stage one.
ok, there wasn't going to be some huge tq/hp jump anyway

that money would have been better spent on a power vision, considering you care this much. you've spent about 450-500 (est $150 on canned + est $250-300 dyno) on intangible things.

spending 400 on a pv (or other non-crap tuner) would give you a host of maps and auto-tune capabilities. that gets you off of the service racket dependance.

if you want to pick a fight with the dealer over it. they can take it back to stock then re-dyno it.

i suggest you get a tuner and put this situation behind you

TinCupChalice (02-04-2017)

Quick Reply: Dyno Tune Fraud???