Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 FXDLS Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017 | 11:41 AM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Timhorton
Are you sure our gauges will fit in there. i thought the newer dynas had a larger diameter gauge than the old dynas??? I will trust you, I'm just trying to clarify, did you actually fit the gauges into the mounts yet?
Yes they fit perfect, see post #61 on this thread for a pic. They are the same size as the older style dynas, 67338-97 The "97" at the end indicates the year it was made for, so 97-up will fit. That goes for all HD part #s. Sent you a DM on insta

Last edited by TheSSPirate; 02-20-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-20-2017 | 11:44 AM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser

Any of you guys try to get rid of your abs? Im going to buy new front and rear brake lines and just bypass the brake block under the lower triple tree.
It is possible, I thought about it as well, but Ill run it for a while and see if I like the ABS system- first bike with ABS. The Track-er-Die guys did a S and removed the system completely. I messaged them on IG about it but never got a response, go figure.

Old 02-20-2017 | 05:24 PM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSSPirate
A few more goodies for those still interested. Picked up some essentials to mount the gauges on the bars. Here is the part numbers, they've been listed before but Im posting them again in this thread. The total for this was $168.47 new from HD. Luckily, none of these are obsolete...yet.

2361 x1 - screws to hold the back plate to the gauges (they come in a pack of 5)
67319-95 x2 - tach cover without the button hole
67344-97 x2 - rear rubber grommet
63745-97 x2 - front rubber grommet
67338-97 x1 - tach/speedo mount
Thanks for putting together the list, I went and put my order in at the local HD, then ordered the BBC harness and LA Chopper mount. Another forum member is cranking out some slick dash covers, so once I get all of that I should be able to move the gauges. It's funny because a few years back everyone seemed to hate the Mickey Mouse look to the point of guys swapping out for low rider tanks. Good example of form following function.

Old 02-20-2017 | 05:37 PM
Sunday
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BFMCdyna
Thanks for putting together the list, I went and put my order in at the local HD, then ordered the BBC harness and LA Chopper mount. Another forum member is cranking out some slick dash covers, so once I get all of that I should be able to move the gauges. It's funny because a few years back everyone seemed to hate the Mickey Mouse look to the point of guys swapping out for low rider tanks. Good example of form following function.
More on the covers please.

Old 02-20-2017 | 06:33 PM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunday
More on the covers please.
Forum member kit05 made this for his bike. Send him a PM and see if he can make you one as well. He had talked about doing a run this week. Check out the "Mickey Mouse Gauge" thread for more pics.

Old 02-22-2017 | 08:40 AM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BFMCdyna

Not a problem, I saw those dash covers on the other thread and they look good!

Old 02-22-2017 | 06:50 PM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser

Got more parts in for the S this past week. This one is a Rigid Industries 6" LED bar. I can't settle for the cheap $20 Chinese LED bars,because well.. you definitely get what you pay for. I have some different style lights on the DX that I love, but I wanted to change it up with this one. I know LED bars have been the craze the past couple years, but they do such a good job of providing for light to see with and, more importantly I think, light to BE seen.

These Led headlights from Moons, Speed Kings, JW speaker, etc. provide great output for the rider, but the visible light from oncoming drivers is so small and concentrated, the "footprint" if you will isn't as noticeable as a halogen headlamp. The projector housing of these style headlights is so small, its almost like a small dot of light as opposed to seeing a normal lamp coming towards you. Ive been running my aux lights on the DX for a while and I have noticed many more people hesitate to pull out or turn in front of the bike when Im approaching them at an intersection or wherever. Granted, I have yellow covers on them, but without those they are still so bright that they're easily seen by those half-asleep drivers at 430am on my way to work and any other time of the day. Before you chime in about "blinding oncoming traffic", this is one of those situations where I prefer you to keep your opinion to yourself. Id rather have some say "Sh*t those are bright" instead of, Sh*t officer, I didn't even see him" as I'm laying in the middle of the street, broken and left with a totaled bike. Been there and it aint fun.

Enough ranting, here is the meat a taters - My S, as I'm sure most in the US do too, has an extra power wire that is constantly hot in the connector for the headlamp. The order is 1234:
1. Constant Hot
2. Hi beam
3. Low beam
4. Ground

Unfortunately I didn't snap any pics of the wiring install, but its fairly straight forward and Im sure a how-to on disassembling connectors is on here somewhere. Luckily the bar came with a waterproof Deutsch connector so I hacked the supplied Rigid harness and went to work. I had some left over OEM style pins which happened to be an exact match to the ones used on the bike. I hooked up the pin, popped it in the connector and boom- power was made. As for the ground, I pinched a C style connector on the end and ran it back to the grounding posts on the frame under the seat. Luckily, the tank is out at paint so it was cake to send the ground wire all the way back and hide it along some of the existing wiring attached to the backbone. With that said, let there be light! Im getting my JD fab fairing mount tonight to mock up and plumb some wiring so that will be done when the tins come back, which is soon hopefully. The Rigid bar will stay on while the bike is on, I may run switch in-between the connector and light to turn it on and off while riding. Friends of mine have lights hooked up straight to the battery with a relay and what not, but they always forget to turn it off when we reach our destinations so I went this route so that doesn't happen.

I also yanked my JW Adaptive LED from the purple turd and put it on the S. I always wanted to try out a more inexpensive LED, so I picked one up off Ebay for the purple bike. It was $50 shipped and Ive gotta say, Im impressed. My JW is a 15/10 on output and quality and its adaptive, so it lights up the curves when leaning into the twisties. This eBay light seems to be the same as a Moons or Speed Kings, but much cheaper and its probably a 7/10. Its maybe a smidge dimmer than the JW but still pretty damn bright. I have yet to ride it at night, but I think Ill be happy with it. As always, enjoy the pics, and questions are more than welcomed for those who enjoy these long posts haha

This is about where its going to sit when installed, It will clear the fairing just fine once its on, Ill get pics of the install too.

The purple turd with the Ebay LED, Baja Designs S2 combo lights, and Denali mounts, available from RevZilla.

Old 02-23-2017 | 04:31 PM
Timhorton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good. that light lines up nice. I was debating between the rigid sr-q2 which i small or the baja designs hi power 10 inch which is really big. that bar looks good. fits nice. what model is it and what mount is that. i haven't seen a small light bar with that kind of mount other than the sr series. thats going to look good on there.

Old 02-23-2017 | 06:19 PM
TheSSPirate
|
Cruiser

looks good. that light lines up nice. I was debating between the rigid sr-q2 which i small or the baja designs hi power 10 inch which is really big. that bar looks good. fits nice. what model is it and what mount is that. i haven't seen a small light bar with that kind of mount other than the sr series. thats going to look good on there.
The one pictured is a Rigid SR series in 6". The mount shown is also a Rigid mount for that specific light bar which you can find it on their website. Its funny you say that, I actually ordered a Baja Designs S8 10" and its really big. Not sure if you're aware of this, I know I wasn't when I bought it- My Baja Designs 10" is actually more like 12.5-13" from the tip of the mounting screw to the other screw. The 10" part is only the dimension of the actual light. I bought it and it was too big and more of a pain in the *** to mount so I went with the Rigid. Ill grab a pic of it and post it here later on.

Old 02-24-2017 | 09:53 AM
Timhorton
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hear you on the size thing. i just wanted to see if it would bit under my fairing but the size of the thing I'm worried it might hit my fender when i compress the shocks. Id like to see the extra light that Rigid produces because its only 2000 lumens and not 11000 like the baja.

Quick Reply: 17 FXDLS Build Thread