Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:36 AM
dpoll995
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default new oil filter question

i just ordered a FLO filter, when i put it on am i going to loose much oil during the swap? will i need to top it off after the swap?

Old 01-17-2017, 08:40 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

You'll lose some; I've been running the FLO PCS4C's on my HD's for so long I don't even remember how much oil the OEM paper filter holds any longer

I presume you'll swap to the FLO with the bike cold? Do a cold oil check; if you're half way up on the stick you'll be fine to start it, then check it again either cold or hot and see where you are for your level. I typically only check my oil cold and keep it half way on the stick, and no higher. If your cold check shows more than half way on the stick you should be just about right when you recheck it cold after the FLO is installed.

With a bit of care you'll get 5 - 6 filter removal and cleanings before you'll need to change out the quad ring; I clean my filter mesh screen with brake cleaner spraying from the inside out. You can pick up spare quad rings for $1.50 each HERE

An excellent choice on moving to the FLO permanent filter; you'll love it

Old 01-17-2017, 02:20 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser

cool thanks for the info. another question for you, im planning to add an ultracool oil cooler soon, when you change your oil do you have to pull off a hose to drain the cooler too?

Old 01-17-2017, 02:45 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

I'm running a low mount Jagg oil cooler and an oil filter relocation that locates that beautifully made PCS4C out on the left downtube and out in the wind letting that oil filter billet housing add additional cooling.

I never pull any hoses when I do the engine oil and clean the oil filter; there's always a bit of oil you won't get out anyway when you do an oil change, with the oil cooler and relocation I've got a bit more now obviously, but I don't run long oil change intervals so I don't really worry about it too much.

With the ease of dropping the engine oil, cleanly removing the permanent oil filter and not drool oil all over the engine and isolator, and the ease of cleaning the PCS4C, oil changes are simple to do

Last edited by TinCupChalice; 01-17-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added image...
Old 01-17-2017, 03:06 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser

Is that the dk customs filter relocation kit?

Old 01-17-2017, 03:20 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by dpoll995
Is that the dk customs filter relocation kit?
That was the DK relocation kit in that image, I've since upgraded the relocation. The billet oil filter downtube adapter in the DK kit is made by 3Guyz so I ordered the rest of the 3Guyz components to upgrade it. The DK kit worked without issue but the 3Guyz engine adapter was billet and the fittings, connectors, and hose was of higher quality.

The 3Guyz complete relocation kit is just a few dollars more if you'd prefer their billet adapter, connectors, and fittings: http://www.3guyz.com/vtwin-motorcycl...tegory=1575036

These are the components I bought from 3Guys to upgrade the relocation...

Old 01-17-2017, 04:30 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser

I like the idea of the relocation. I think I'm gonna get the 3guys kit then add the oil cooler later. Hopefully I'll have both before summer. I need to get this thing running cooler, Houston rush hour traffic in the summer is freakin hot!! Thanks for all the great info!

Old 01-17-2017, 04:44 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

I like the idea of the relocation. I think I'm gonna get the 3guys kit then add the oil cooler later. Hopefully I'll have both before summer. I need to get this thing running cooler, Houston rush hour traffic in the summer is freakin hot!! Thanks for all the great info!
The DK kit worked well; I'm just not the sort for a cast engine adapter and hose clamps when a machined billet piece and better connectors are available

I found monitoring engine temperatures before and after the relocation with my Power Vision a 14° - 17° temperature reduction; the Jagg oil cooler brought a 25° - 35° drop in engine temperatures.

They're both on the expensive side; the relocation brought added cooling and completely mess free oil changes and it does look pretty trick sitting there, the Jagg low mount had higher engine temperature reductions.

What other mods have you done to help lower engine temperatures? Tuner, A/C, pipes? Each mod does bring more to the table...

Old 01-17-2017, 06:56 PM
dpoll995
Cruiser

So far I'm running a DK custom outlaw AC, Vance big shots, Vance FP3. I'm still running auto tune mode, I'm gonna run it in auto tune for a few tanks and squeeze out as much as I can from it. I'm gonna get the relocation kit and plan on adding a low mount jagg with a fan. I just tried to add a tank lift but the crossover tube was gonna be rubbing on the ABS lines too much for me. I didn't want to risk breaking the nipple off the tank so I put it back to stock.

Man, last summer I got caught in some bad traffic and it was so freaking hot I was debating to ride the shoulder or just pull over for awhile! I avoid the traffic as much as I can but you never know when it's gonna hit here, between road construction and accidents.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

So far I'm running a DK custom outlaw AC, Vance big shots, Vance FP3. I'm still running auto tune mode, I'm gonna run it in auto tune for a few tanks and squeeze out as much as I can from it. I'm gonna get the relocation kit and plan on adding a low mount jagg with a fan. I just tried to add a tank lift but the crossover tube was gonna be rubbing on the ABS lines too much for me. I didn't want to risk breaking the nipple off the tank so I put it back to stock.

Man, last summer I got caught in some bad traffic and it was so freaking hot I was debating to ride the shoulder or just pull over for awhile! I avoid the traffic as much as I can but you never know when it's gonna hit here, between road construction and accidents.

You've got a great start there! You've venting to atmosphere with the DK A/C which will lower intake temperatures and keep the throttle body clean and you could consider the W158 TTI's in the BSS's. I've set up 3 BSS pipes that way. Less restriction and increased exhaust scavenging and they help prevent air reversion in to the exhaust system which helps reduce decel popping and burbling.

You can change out the crossover hose for a longer 1/4" hose but it will be a bit sporty when you pull the line. When I did my 2" tank lift on my Wide Glide I put the bike in the grass and covered the engine in plastic; I'd pre-measured the new hose and just moved quick once I'd removed the OEM clamps I lost about 1 cup of fuel doing it.

The tank lift does let added air under the tank to cool the heads and let's you clean the rockers easier as well, which keeps my OCD happy

Quick Reply: new oil filter question