Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem installing new grips...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:03 AM
babaharley
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem installing new grips...

So I bought these grips on amazon

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well I removed the old original grips and trie these new ones....i took out both wires on the right grip, reattached everything but then the grip was not smooth....like something was blocking it.....so i put my original grips back on.....

is that a regular problem.....that new grips dont always fit precisely and you need to grind stuff down or what?

Seems to me very weird they sell grips that almost fit.....

Old 12-31-2016, 08:16 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

I'm going to speculate this is a throttle cable adjustment issue. If you are too tight on the throttle cable the idle surges when you move the bar lock to lock; if you are too tight on the return/idle cable the throttle sticks or will be sluggish returning to idle.

Adjust the cables for maximum slack; this is a great time to lubricate the cables. Start with the idle cable first. Adjust it so that there is no slack when the throttle is held closed and tighten the locknut. Adjust the throttle cable for your desired amount of freeplay at the grip and tighten the locknut. Check operation; hopefully the grip will start snapping back cleanly like it should...

Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 AM
babaharley
Advanced

no....there was a lot of room for the cable...i did not even tighten it.....
when i put the top metal part over the grip, the part that has holes for the ignition buttons....then the grip did not move....it is called top of the switch housing

i had so much problem putting the grips on and then they did not even fit.....

Last edited by babaharley; 12-31-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by babaharley
no....there was a lot of room for the cable...i did not even tighten it.....
when i put the top metal part over the grip, the part that has holes for the ignition buttons....then the grip did not move....it is called top of the switch housing

i had so much problem putting the grips on and then they did not even fit.....
Did you follow the procedure to readjust the cables once you installed the new grips?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:30 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Without attaching anyting to the grips, did they twist freely on the handlebars?

Old 12-31-2016, 08:38 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Check to ensure you don't have a wire/bundle pinched up in the control housing. I had a similar situation w/my FLHX and the wires were pinched, when clamping the controls onto bars.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:08 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

I had a set of grips that did that (different brand) it was the plastic ring/circle that the cables fit into being too big around. I used a sanding block and heavy grit sandpaper to work all the way around it to make it a bit smaller.
Some parts just slip through quality control,,

I hope you took care with the brake switch, it's easily damaged during assembly if care is not taken,, if your brake light stays on,, come on back and we'll help you with that.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:15 AM
babaharley
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnMn
I had a set of grips that did that (different brand) it was the plastic ring/circle that the cables fit into being too big around. I used a sanding block and heavy grit sandpaper to work all the way around it to make it a bit smaller.
Some parts just slip through quality control,,

I hope you took care with the brake switch, it's easily damaged during assembly if care is not taken,, if your brake light stays on,, come on back and we'll help you with that.
that is exactly what I suspect...they are no name brand, these grips, and the ring is too big....no the cables were not stuck anywhere....just the handlebar did not turn , like something was blocking it when you put on the housing....

Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Kwayz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran into the exact same problem with a set of grips like those that I picked up from ebay (except they were the blacked out version).

The section that the ends of the cables fit in to was too big and caused the grips to bind inside of the switch housing.

I attempted to sand them down, but I was not satisfied with the results.

I purchased another set from a different vendor and compared them to the first set and it was obvious that the first set was really not designed for a Harley.

The second set fit and worked perfectly.

I sounds like you have a similar issue.

Hopefully you can get them working or return them and get a different set.