Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 FXDX Chain Drive Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016 | 04:40 PM
MadMario111
|
Stage I
Default 99 FXDX Chain Drive Conversion

I'm looking to switch my 99 FXDX to chain drive.

If someone knows exactly what I need and the least expensive way to go about it your advise is greatly appreciated. I know they have chain drive conversion kits but I have a buddy who has an account with Bikers Choice. I figure I could save a little bit of money if I could find out spacing, close to stock ratio, so on and so forth.

I know people will say switching to a chain is stupid but I'm building my bike to be beat the **** out of it. I have my bagger for long trips.

Any advise would be great.

Old 01-28-2020 | 06:11 AM
lewis cooper
Stage I

Originally Posted by MadMario111
I'm looking to switch my 99 FXDX to chain drive.

If someone knows exactly what I need and the least expensive way to go about it your advise is greatly appreciated. I know they have chain drive conversion kits but I have a buddy who has an account with Bikers Choice. I figure I could save a little bit of money if I could find out spacing, close to stock ratio, so on and so forth.

I know people will say switching to a chain is stupid but I'm building my bike to be beat the **** out of it. I have my bagger for long trips.

Any advise would be great.

What set up did you go with in the end man?

Old 01-28-2020 | 06:51 AM
mud
muderator
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by lewis cooper

What set up did you go with in the end man?
mad mario - One posting three years ago hasn't been back since that day.

Good question though.

Old 01-29-2020 | 01:59 PM
OGMarkwood
Road Master

This thread is a little old but the best move is to buy the rear sprocket first. Then you use a straight edge from the rear sprocket up to the trans and measure from the straight edge to the trans case. Then you can determine which offset trans sprocket you need. Andrews has a lot of offset and tooth count options.

Old 01-29-2020 | 06:58 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

I always feel guilty when this topic pops up...

I have a chain conversion on my 99 but I did so much custom work on the bike I can't say for sure what would work on somebody else's bike.

I know the PBI 1.06" offset front sprocket is the widest they had two years ago that would fit. Their next size up interfered with the primary cover. I got the widest I could to try and accommodate a 200 rear tire. With that tire centered in the swinger, the 530 chain rubs when aligned properly parallel to the long axis of the bike. A 180 centered fits fine...with fender and strut mods.

I can't remember what my axle and rear sprocket spacer sizes are. They're custom but may be nearly identical to commonly available sizes. I never looked.