Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII voids warranty?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:59 AM
badabing
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII voids warranty?????

I have installed a PCIII, V&H BSS, and K&N Air Filter Kit (similiar to the Stage I EFI) on my '06 superglide and now a dealer is telling me that it voided the warranty. Is this true? Mind you, this is the exact same setup that another dealer quoted me on (except for the air filter). i am trying to find a place to get it dyno tuned.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: PCIII voids warranty?????

No it is not neccesarily true.

They have to PROVE that the PCIII caused the damage. Don't let them bullshit you. Do a search here and you will find links to the actual laws that apply.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:26 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

I agree with Alaska - if your primary chain snaps, they can't really blame that on the PCIII.... ya see?

Besides, you are worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet, and I am guessing you are not likely going to remove all that stuff just because of the warrantly.
I did the PCIII install myself, and a few thousand miles had the valve stem seals replaced under warranty (and '05 issue), they didn't give me grief about the PCIII. Had a seal replaced down around the tranny under warranty as well... see what I'm getting at?

One of you other posts you mention you are new to HD's... which is great, welcome.... here is a word of advice, maybe you have picked up on this already, maybe not...
Believe about half of what a dealer tells you, and consider who at that dealer is telling you. Parts guys, in most cases, don't know $hit. I consider my local shop to be fairly upstanding, and I trust the service desk manager a lot... but the guys at the parts desks don't know what they are talking about half the time (more than half for this one guy, he's just a fooking lyer). If you plan on having some form of relationship with your dealer, get to know a couple guys there... the service manager is a good one to know. My service manager was the sales manager when I bought my bike, and I bought it from him... so I have known him since before taking possession... he's a no BS guy that pushes Redline oil and doesn't like the Race Tuner, in favor of the PCIII... how can you go wrong?

If you had a dealer quote you that build, you might consider just building a relationship with folks there... they don't do a dnyo?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM
ratt196635
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having an elec issue on mine and they never said anything about the PCIII voiding the warranty the fixed my problem which was a back connector under warranty without a problem.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:19 PM
badabing
Advanced

ORIGINAL: thrillseeker

I agree with Alaska - if your primary chain snaps, they can't really blame that on the PCIII.... ya see?

Besides, you are worrying about something that hasn't even happened yet, and I am guessing you are not likely going to remove all that stuff just because of the warrantly.
I did the PCIII install myself, and a few thousand miles had the valve stem seals replaced under warranty (and '05 issue), they didn't give me grief about the PCIII. Had a seal replaced down around the tranny under warranty as well... see what I'm getting at?

One of you other posts you mention you are new to HD's... which is great, welcome.... here is a word of advice, maybe you have picked up on this already, maybe not...
Believe about half of what a dealer tells you, and consider who at that dealer is telling you. Parts guys, in most cases, don't know $hit. I consider my local shop to be fairly upstanding, and I trust the service desk manager a lot... but the guys at the parts desks don't know what they are talking about half the time (more than half for this one guy, he's just a fooking lyer). If you plan on having some form of relationship with your dealer, get to know a couple guys there... the service manager is a good one to know. My service manager was the sales manager when I bought my bike, and I bought it from him... so I have known him since before taking possession... he's a no BS guy that pushes Redline oil and doesn't like the Race Tuner, in favor of the PCIII... how can you go wrong?

If you had a dealer quote you that build, you might consider just building a relationship with folks there... they don't do a dnyo?
problem is that i had the bike there for a warranty issue (stock mufflers fell off) which is how i ended up getting this work done in the first place and i was trying to use my warranty credit towards the purchase but they were just robbing me on the job. even with the $400 warranty credit, i was still able to get the parts for less online and get them installed. so i had them put the stock muffs back on so i could get it out of there and they gave me alot of attitude about that and gave me the bike back absolutely filthy. what sucks is they have a brand new dynojet dyno, and i know if i bring it back there they are going to shove it up my a$$. they seem to be the only dealer in the area with a dyno

Old 05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
badabing
Advanced

oops, wrong thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:58 PM
combat_vet
Tourer

Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?
Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.
Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.
This is illegal.
Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.
When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.
There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).
In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.
Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.
If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.
If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.
WHAT IS THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT?
On January 4, 1975, President Ford signed into law the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, Title 1, ..101-112, 15 U.S.C. ..2301 et seq. This

Old 05-29-2007, 04:30 PM
jonpiper
Cruiser

one of our local stealers installs PC's with whatever aftermarket pipes you want ....

Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
badabing
Advanced

wow, thats great. thanks bpalmershein and everyone else for your input

Old 05-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Hound Dog 1
Advanced

I love it when someone affixes a "Your Rights" guide to a reply. While theoretically true, you can find yourself in a world of hurt under "real-world" conditions.

Now, let's look at a few facts. Manufacturers and dealers are required to sell vehicles that meet regulations. That includes Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and EPA (and applicable state) emission standards. Dealers who modify vehicles while knowingly violating these standards are in violation of the law (though these laws are, for the most part, rarely enforced). Heck, pulling reflector off of the side of a bike is, technically, a violation.

Still, affixing aftermarket parts to a vehicle can void a warranty. While what you're being told is "well, if the aftermarket part didn't lead to the failure, then you're still coverered." Except thatthemanufacturer and dealeris pretty much the arbiter as to whether an aftermarket part caused a failure. Do you want to fight it out in court?

If you add a PCIII, air cleaner, and new pipes, you can almost guarantee that should Harley wish, any engine failure of any sort could void warranty coverage. Additionally, aftermarket parts which render a vehicle in violation of FMVSS or EPA standards can void a warranty. Naturally, there are some exceptions, and gray areas. Again, do you want to fight it out in court?

There are some ways around this. Not only are there aftermarket parts, but there are also aftermarket extended warranties (covered in other posts on HDForums, I'm sure). You'll be sure to be covered, even with aftermarket upgrades (and I'm pretty sure you don't pay too much of a premium above an HD extended warranty). You'll also want to review the warranty on the aftermarket part you buy, as it may cover areas HD will likely void.

Whatever you do, don't trust the "It's your right" boilerplate folks like to throw into these posts. You have to think clearly whether it's worth a court fight, should it come to it.