Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016 | 04:56 PM
WH1_T-type
|
Road Captain
Default Should I dyno

I've got a 2016 Low Rider S that I'm looking at adding Two Brothers exhaust to. The local shop wants just shy of 2K to get the exhaust, power commander V, install, and dyno tune it.

For under 1K I can get the exhaust and either a FP3 or PC V myself and install it all and do the butt dyno.

I will NOT be doing any more upgrades until the engine is dead so even though the FP3 doesn't have a lot of expandability, it seems like it would do what I need it to and it would be YEARS before I would need anything else.

My goal is just better sound and performance gains would be nice, but as long as I'm not losing Anything it isn't a priority.

Is it really worth paying all that money for a dyno?

Old 12-10-2016 | 05:07 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Why oh why would a shop recommend a PCV for a bike that a Power Vision is available for?

For $999 you can get a fuelmoto e series or jackpot 2:1, a power vision and a lifetime of support and maps from one of the better tuners out there. I just ordered that same package today (e-series) for my Road Glide.

With the PV and autotuneing a Fuelmoto map you can get it pretty damn close to perfect. A dyno will get you that extra few percent if its worth the several hundred bucks to you...

Last edited by Mchad; 12-10-2016 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-10-2016 | 05:10 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Well here goes opinion number 1...

I would definitely buy the exhaust and either a FP3 (has more potential than you may think), or a Power Vision 2. Do the install yourself and if buying the PV2 get it from Fuel Moto with a canned map. They are incredibly close plus you can auto tune of course. With the PV2 you have a lot of options including getting a dyno tune later. Most shops will not tune with the FP3.

I did like getting my bike dyno'd, I found that he smoothed out the throttle better than the canned map or auto tune. But to be fair it was darn close.

Regardless of how you go, I would NOT use your dealer to do the dyno. They charge more and are very limited in what they can do since they will always work within the parameters of Compliance. If getting it done find an Indy with a great reputation.

Hope this helps and ride safe!

Old 12-10-2016 | 05:14 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Just re-read your post and realized by "shop" you probably are already using an Indy so ditch the last part of my comments.

But this is post number 3000 so yay for me!

Old 12-10-2016 | 05:14 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Personally, I wouldn't waste any time with the PCV; if you're completely certain you won't be doing upgrades past the Stage 1 I'd get the FP3 and auto tune it myself. I went the Power Vision path since I know I'm doing much more but the supplied FuelMoto base map and auto tune runs have given me a ride that performs, and performs very well

I didn't and won't bother with any dyno tuning in the future as I make changes to the engine configuration. The FuelMoto base maps are that good

Do the exhaust and tuner yourself, but get your FP3 from FuelMoto; their maps are on the money accurate...

Old 12-10-2016 | 05:28 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Why oh why would a shop recommend a PCV for a bike that a Power Vision is available for?

For $999 you can get a fuelmoto e series or jackpot 2:1, a power vision and a lifetime of support and maps from one of the better tuners out there. I just ordered that same package today (e-series) for my Road Glide.

With the PV and autotuneing a Fuelmoto map you can get it pretty damn close to perfect. A dyno will get you that extra few percent if its worth the several hundred bucks to you...
Nice; you already have a Power Vision, don't you? Did you just buy a second license for your existing Power Vision or get a second? The license to add a second bike to your existing PV is $200...

Old 12-10-2016 | 05:45 PM
GWC68
Cruiser

At least do the install your self, the pipes are really easy to install. I did the PC V with a Fuelmoto tune and my bike runs great , pulls hard all the way through the power band.

Old 12-10-2016 | 06:01 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member

Should I dyno

Yes

Bikes come off the show room floor no where close to optimally tuned - in fact its the opposite

So until you baseline it - doesn't matter what you add / upgrade

As for self tunes / butt tunes - wasted effort..., when compared to a "proper" dyno tune

Proper in parenthesis as not all tuners are worth a damn..., find one that is

You won't be disappointed

Ghost

Old 12-10-2016 | 06:06 PM
103luckygreenDude
Cruiser

I'd install it my self and find an Indy to dyno it. You save a boat load of cash and learn more about your bike.

Old 12-10-2016 | 06:18 PM
WH1_T-type
|
Road Captain

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The shop I use is an independent in Alpine CA.

I know I won't be doing anything else to the engine because it is my primary transportation and it can't be down for more than a day (weekend). I put almost 100 miles a day 5-7 days a week, so the miles are stacking up. When this motor dies I'll most likely get an SS motor to just drop in and THAT'S when I'll worry about getting every drop of power out of it.

I'm looking at the fuel moto place now. I think I'll get all the stuff myself and install it and maybe dyno down the road.

Quick Reply: Should I dyno