Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:32 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Yep, I'm sure they are great, but I can't get past the look. I wish they'd make smaller units...

I never rode to be fashionable. I wear a helmet now a days, a 15 year old pair resoled brown Redwing work boots.
I set my bikes up to be safe, reliable, functionable, and comfortable.
I usually keep my bikes for years, I've been riding Harley's continuously since 1975 and I'm only on my 4th one. I change my engine and primary oils every 3000 miles. I want my bikes to last decades and most importantly not have major engine problems. My previous bike was a 1999 RK before buying my current 2010 103 Limited with the factory oil cooler, I was really taken back by how much heat the new 103 pumped out.
I really quickly added a tuner, cut the cat out, wrapped the head pipe with header wrap. It wasn't until I added the Love Jug cooling fans did my bike become comfortable to ride on days above 85 degrees.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 12-08-2016 at 06:36 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Yep, I'm sure they are great, but I can't get past the look. I wish they'd make smaller units...

I never rode to be fashionable. I wear a helmet now a days, a 15 year old pair resoled brown Redwing work boots.
I set my bikes up to be safe, reliable, functionable, and comfortable.
I usually keep my bikes for years, I've been riding Harley's continuously since 1975 and I'm only on my 4th one. I change my engine and primary oils every 3000 miles. I want my bikes to last decades and most importantly not have major engine problems. My previous bike was a 1999 RK before buying my current 2010 103 Limited with the factory oil cooler, I was really taken back by how much heat the new 103 pumped out.
I really quickly added a tuner, cut the cat out, wrapped the head pipe with header wrap. It wasn't until I added the Love Jug cooling fans did my bike become comfortable to ride on days above 85 degrees.
No question that if there were no other options, looks don't matter. But given the choice, I'd rather have something on my bikes that I find less visually offensive. I like the way my bikes look, and I want to try not to foul that up. Its not about being fashionable to others. It's what I like or don't like.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
wingfoot
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

FYI - I bought my WPW fans a few years back. IF I remember correctly he had suspended orders back then to. I think he is doing the right thing by not taking orders he can't fill before people start screaming "Where's my Stuff".

He would rather you wait and when available he will announce he is ready to start taking deposits. I agree with his tactic to not manage a waiting list until he is ready to start shipping again.

I could be wrong ?
He does have a product that is in high demand!

I have had my fans for nearly seven (7) years and never had a problem and the do fit on the new 17 M8 models.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:23 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Those will last about 5 min once he hits the first puddle. It's a good idea though - pretty much the same design as the untrcool cooler I have.

While it'll help, it's probably not going to keep the bike from overheating in summer heat stop and go for any period of time.
mchad, how does the ultra cool unit you have now work? I've been thinking about purchasing that one rather than the parks unit.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by oleboy
mchad, how does the ultra cool unit you have now work? I've been thinking about purchasing that one rather than the parks unit.
Works good. Had to adjust the grill/cover once to cure a slight rattle the fans made when running, but after that no issues. No leaks, so far so good.

Will probably upgrade the stock one on my Road Glide this winter too.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:01 PM
oleboy
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Works good. Had to adjust the grill/cover once to cure a slight rattle the fans made when running, but after that no issues. No leaks, so far so good.

Will probably upgrade the stock one on my Road Glide this winter too.
Thanks.

I think I read on one of your tuning posts that you run a PV on your Dyna. Curious if you monitored the ET/HT readout on the PV before and after the Ultra Cool install? I'm wondering what sort of temp reductions you saw in heavy traffic.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:46 PM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 123 Posts

I too have been checking his site weekly since the beginning of Sept. I sure hope he brings the product back to the market.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:26 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Wards is using a regular square axial fan with the mounting corners ground off to fit in his tubes. There are lots of IP rated fans out there if you wanted to engineer your own solution. We use EBM-Papst, Spal, and Sunon with good luck at work. I've had six 40mm Sunons running active cooling on a ducted LED heatsink for about 10 years now. They get a fair amount of humidity and micro-droplets on them. They're not the quietest, maybe 65-70 dB but they have good bearings and static pressure ratings. Mine aren't IP rated, but they don't get splashed so I didn't worry about that. Sunon and EBM build plenty of little fans, but I'm not sure about Spal. I know they have a 4" fan, but that's probably pushing it for this application.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:01 PM
natedog_37
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I have though about making my own. Want some small micro fan in my ff helmet. LOL I had them in my paintball mask why not in the Bike Helmet.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:03 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Sunon has you covered unless you want to go REALLY little...like nano...

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans...