Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
I will...

I can appreciate the patent situation and your disclosure, but then making essentially an exact copy (appearance wise at least) ...not so cool
Well, that just happens in business. It's a very simple design so there's not too many choices I think. Maybe hexagonal shrouds?

Look at just about every smart phone, every tv, every item that is designed with a specific function in mind. They all share a similar design. So the grill is different, what else can really change? I'm thinking the design of the product doesn't offer much flexibility. He is responding to the many suggestions of producing a smaller v-twin fan, so what other choices are there? The fewer design elements make it that less obtrusive on the bike. I think we all agree that the fan isn't something we put on for looks, but for function, so make it as small and as unobtrusive as possible.

I don't have a degree in engineering or design, so I can't say much more then this. But if Wards doesn't have a patent, copyright or w/e, LJ is pretty much free to do as he sees fit. But I also don't have a law degree.

As Love Jugs is a commercial business, I expect he has consulted legal council on his new design, especially with the R&D I expect was invested.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:40 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,313 Likes on 1,861 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Well, that just happens in business. It's a very simple design so there's not too many choices I think. Maybe hexagonal shrouds?

Look at just about every smart phone, every tv, every item that is designed with a specific function in mind. They all share a similar design. So the grill is different, what else can really change? I'm thinking the design of the product doesn't offer much flexibility. He is responding to the many suggestions of producing a smaller v-twin fan, so what other choices are there? The fewer design elements make it that less obtrusive on the bike. I think we all agree that the fan isn't something we put on for looks, but for function, so make it as small and as unobtrusive as possible.

I don't have a degree in engineering or design, so I can't say much more then this. But if Wards doesn't have a patent, copyright or w/e, LJ is pretty much free to do as he sees fit. But I also don't have a law degree...
I agree with "how many ways can you really make one that isn't similar", but this more than just similar. I could make a "similar" fan set-up that you wouldn't confuse with the other. You can change quite bit actually (appearance wise for sure).

Just look at it...

Grabbed from here (as you know)
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/want-...l#post15881024

I just found a difference... the Jugs don't appear to have a counter-bored mounting hole

Old 01-29-2017, 09:56 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
I just found a difference... the Jugs don't appear to have a counter-bored mounting hole
Bingo!

Look, I agree that it's a pretty dam close copy externally, and maybe it has better fans/engineering. And if Wards had a patent or copyright, then there's definitly a case for infringement. But I'm betting there are none. I don't think LJ would risk a lawsuit.

All I know for sure is once these are for sale, they will sell. There are a lot of ppl out there who have been waiting what will be a year for Wards to come back, first was supposed to be by the end of the year, now supposedly June. No one knows if that will even happen.

I got absolutly nothing against Wards and I hope to God his issues are not health, family or anything other then a personal decision to suspend operations. But he has to expect his business will suffer from a one year hiatus.

And just to say, aside from one unanswered email from Wards, and one email and a phone call with Steve at LJ, I have no horse in this race. I just want to see a good product available to those who want/need it, other then the original oversized love jugs (sorry Steve if your reading - just my opinion!)

Old 01-29-2017, 09:58 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

If they weren't so...(not for me) I'd wait for the Chinese version for half the price.Thankfully we have a President that's doing his best to put an end to that BS.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:03 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

In case you want to read the patent:
Filed on behalf of David Sandel, April 28, 2011
https://www.google.com/patents/US8812189

Last edited by cggorman; 01-29-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

At least Jason took the time to set the screens evenly....

Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Bingo!

Look, I agree that it's a pretty dam close copy externally, and maybe it has better fans/engineering. And if Wards had a patent or copyright, then there's definitly a case for infringement. But I'm betting there are none. I don't think LJ would risk a lawsuit.

All I know for sure is once these are for sale, they will sell. There are a lot of ppl out there who have been waiting what will be a year for Wards to come back, first was supposed to be by the end of the year, now supposedly June. No one knows if that will even happen.

I got absolutly nothing against Wards and I hope to God his issues are not health, family or anything other then a personal decision to suspend operations. But he has to expect his business will suffer from a one year hiatus.

And just to say, aside from one unanswered email from Wards, and one email and a phone call with Steve at LJ, I have no horse in this race. I just want to see a good product available to those who want/need it, other then the original oversized love jugs (sorry Steve if your reading - just my opinion!)
No argument here and I really don't have a dog in this fight either (I'm not affected by any of this at all).

I just found it interesting for one calling out the other for the product "doing the same thing" as the claimed patent holder although looking different (you would never confuse one for the other) and then turning around and making one that looked the same

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
At least Jason took the time to set the screens evenly....

EDIT: Funny line...but I don't see it...may be the photo

Last edited by multihdrdr; 01-29-2017 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-29-2017, 10:10 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Appearance aside, I just want to know how LJ improved functionally upon the Wards.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:19 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Originally Posted by HrdNox
If they weren't so...(not for me) I'd wait for the Chinese version for half the price.Thankfully we have a President that's doing his best to put an end to that BS.

They are making them now, just in case

Old 01-29-2017, 01:04 PM
mattVA
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Other then Wards, what other twin (one fan per cylinder) cooling fans are out there? I haven't seen any? Maybe I haven't looked hard enough.
You have to look at it from the perspective of patents. All you have to do is pull up his patent # in Google Patents and you'll see the references applied or made aware to him during prosecution. He's not the only one to own a patent for dual fans for a V-twin. They might not look the same as his but that's not what he led us to believe.

Here's just one example:

https://www.google.com/patents/US7303034

Besides. .his patent is pretty detailed (read: limiting) which is probably why he got it in the first place:

1. An engine cooling device for providing fresh air to the cylinder jugs of a v-twin motorcycle having a horn mounting bracket and a protective horn cover, said engine cooling device comprising:
a first and second fan assembly configured to produce a concentrated flow of air, each of said fan assemblies including a generally circular outer housing configured to protect an electrically powered fan located therein;
a mounting bracket having a height that is less than a height of the fan assemblies, said mounting bracket including an elongated member having a first end that terminates into a side portion of the first fan assembly, a second end that terminates into a side portion of the second fan assembly, and a middle section that includes a plurality of vertically aligned apertures,
wherein said apertures are configured to engage and secure the middle section of the mounting bracket to and between each of the motorcycle horn mounting bracket and the protective horn cover, and
the first and second ends of the mounting bracket are configured to position the fan assemblies adjacent to the motorcycle cylinder jugs; and
a wiring harness configured to receive power for each of the first and second fan assemblies from an outside device.

Not too hard to get around that. Just have to change one thing from that in a non-obvious manner and you're in the clear.

Last edited by mattVA; 01-29-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans...