Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the RRIII to work on my Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,611 Likes on 3,837 Posts
Default Getting the RRIII to work on my Dyna

I'd been running some Bassani Pro-Streets on my Dyna and while they work well with the 116 motor, I had to use earplugs when riding. I figured I'd try a RRIII as I know of some tricks to quiet the pipe down.

The Pro-Streets

I had clearance problems with the right footpeg.

The head pipe supports the tapered cone gaskets, One thing to note: Take the burrs off end of the pipe so the end does not tear up the gasket.

Problem was that the heads I have didn't have a lead in for the tapered gaskets.

After destroying a few of these gaskets, I made a tool to drive them in.

I also used a rotary burr to add a lead in.

Tool with gasket ready to be driven in..

Old 11-20-2016, 07:10 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Had to grind the footpeg bracket for clearance..

The bracket then cleared the bracket by about 0.1 inches on the side and 1/4 in front to back.. Picture is mirrored..

Pipe fit fine.. Way to loud tho..

Old 11-20-2016, 07:40 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Here is the fix for the loudness..

The chamber in the back causes the pipe to be boomy..

Pull the Baffle

Arrow points to a exhaust pipe reducer.

Clean it up and tap onto the end of the baffle..

Tack weld in place.

Much quieter. The trick is to get the exhaust to exit beyond that rear chamber. Makes it a bunch less boomy but a little more blatty..

Old 11-20-2016, 09:16 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,526 Likes on 2,138 Posts

Question. You ground away at the exhaust port with the head installed? Doesn't that put serious risk of getting metal in your cylinders?

Old 11-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Hi Bwoltz,
A great thread you have going, the new pipe looks great!!! Did you also countersink the footpeg mounts for the allen bolts?
Nice clean work and relevant to something I'm doing as my pipe has a Cone Engineering muffler and I will sticking this in it, as a preemptive strike.
Once again, great work, I like your special tooling, and your Dyna is perfect.

: Mike

Last edited by Nemosengineer; 11-20-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Add Stuff
Old 11-21-2016, 01:16 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,077 Posts

It totally amazes me how many peeps on here buy what they believe to be the loudest damn pipe that they can find on the open market and then once it's installed all of a sudden they start complaining that it's too damn loud with out really knowing what a LOUD pipe truly all about and then how to tune it!

The following users liked this post:
103 sedona orange (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:34 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
It totally amazes me how many peeps on here buy what they believe to be the loudest damn pipe that they can find on the open market and then once it's installed all of a sudden they start complaining that it's too damn loud with out really knowing what a LOUD pipe truly all about and then how to tune it!
Never met one of those guys..

Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Question. You ground away at the exhaust port with the head installed? Doesn't that put serious risk of getting metal in your cylinders?
Yup.. Stuffed a clean paper towel in the port before grinding, blow off gently then remove..

Old 11-21-2016, 09:38 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
Hi Bwoltz,
A great thread you have going, the new pipe looks great!!! Did you also countersink the footpeg mounts for the allen bolts?
Nice clean work and relevant to something I'm doing as my pipe has a Cone Engineering muffler and I will sticking this in it, as a preemptive strike.
Once again, great work, I like your special tooling, and your Dyna is perfect.

Yeah, Did that some time ago to help with clearance on the RR1 that was on the bike.

Your baffle looks like it fits in a straight muffler core. One thing I've done is find automotive glasspack mufflers do a good job with flow and can provide good quiet performance. YOu can by them in polished stainless steel so they actually look pretty good when installed.

Here are some pics of before and after of rebuilding a DnD pipe.. The SS automotive muffler weighed about 1/2 of what the DnD boat anchor weighed. Part of the reason for the change was the pipe was so heavy that with a big motor, bike shook like a paint mixer. It would snap off head studs every 500 to 1000 miles. I went to a lighter muffler, split the pipe at the Y and made it slip fit then added a mount at the tranny. No problems with the pipe since.

Stock DnD Vbike Pipe

After the mods.

The following users liked this post:
Nemosengineer (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:02 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Yeah, Did that some time ago to help with clearance on the RR1 that was on the bike.

Your baffle looks like it fits in a straight muffler core. One thing I've done is find automotive glasspack mufflers do a good job with flow and can provide good quiet performance. YOu can by them in polished stainless steel so they actually look pretty good when installed.

Here are some pics of before and after of rebuilding a DnD pipe.. The SS automotive muffler weighed about 1/2 of what the DnD boat anchor weighed. Part of the reason for the change was the pipe was so heavy that with a big motor, bike shook like a paint mixer. It would snap off head studs every 500 to 1000 miles. I went to a lighter muffler, split the pipe at the Y and made it slip fit then added a mount at the tranny. No problems with the pipe since.

Great pipe surgery, I can't believe how much better your previous pipe looks after the primary tube trim and the muffler swap, but you do have a good eye. Thanks for the insight on the automotive mufflers.

Quick Reply: Getting the RRIII to work on my Dyna