Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recmmendations on a stand for winter storage and working on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 08:29 PM
offbeatmammal
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
another victim of the fear lift. you'll need to mod the lift.
ugh. rolls eye. is it just Dyna's that are cursed?! How could they design a bike that can't be put on a lift/stand and then have the nerve to charge for the chocks.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

They CAN be put on a lift without blocks. It's from J&S.

Or a modified cheapy lift from HF or Sears or similar.

I've been using the blocks all summer. Kind of fiddly, but they work.

The following users liked this post:
offbeatmammal (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Qdog002
Stellar HDF Member
Received 868 Likes on 547 Posts

OP, for what you want to do, a simple scissors jack will work. It will also take up the least amount of space and you will be able to clean both sides of your bike with nothing in the way. Be sure to get a roll it stool also. They work really well.

offbeatmammal (11-18-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 10:30 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 637 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Suede Blue Man
The J&S jack is great, I have one. This jack has two steel bars on it that once you get it jacked up you flip the bars in one of it's (I don't know, four or five positions depending on the height) positions and they bear the weight and make it rock solid stable.
You don't leave it suspended on the hydraulic jack.

Plus, if you need to, you can move the bike while on the jack, can't do that with a scissor stand.

Tin Cup is right, you never hear anyone say anything bad about their PV or their J&S jack.

I'd even go so far to say if Thomas Jefferson rode a HD he would have had a J&S jack in his garage.
I got what you are saying and I agree for the most part. I have a good hydraulic jack as well.

My point is that there is nothing to fail on a scissor jack. Thats why if I'm lifting it for extended periods I use a scissor jack.

It's not a knock on the J&S jack, they are great jacks. Just my personal preference.

Old 11-20-2016, 05:26 AM
mang0
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm pretty happy with this one works with my modified sear jack http://www.pepsx.com/products.html

video:

Last edited by mang0; 11-20-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:14 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by offbeatmammal
ugh. rolls eye. is it just Dyna's that are cursed?! How could they design a bike that can't be put on a lift/stand and then have the nerve to charge for the chocks.
i felt the same way. not sure why they would not just make the frame thicker, on both sides to protect the oil pan but, that's where we are. since there are redesign rumblings and uni-frame rumors out there, we see what shakes out.

ive been using the fear lift and have to be careful with it. must watch the angle at which i get it under the bike and have to support the front of the bike with jack stands. ratchet straps are a must. not ideal.

a j&s jack is on my list.

Last edited by cvaria; 11-20-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:58 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

I have the sicissors style plate jack and the HD frame blocks. Use it to remove wheels (one at a time) to take into shop for new tires. Also made centre stands for both bikes out of 1/2" pipe. Goes under frame just in front of lugs under engine and facilitates upright unobstructed cleaning
BTW; when we trailer our bikes south to ride, the plate jack goes too. Takes up so little room; and I use a Dewalt impact driver with socket to raise/lower

Old 11-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Travis Chwyl
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locks

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
A jack like this is good for temporarily lifting your bike and moving it around, but if you want something to rest your bike on for extended periods of time, I would definitely use a scissor jack. Unlike hydraulic or pneumatic jacks such as the one above, there is nothing "to lose pressure" and cause the jack to fail.

Personally I would never leave one of my bikes on a hydraulic or pneumatic jack for an extended period of time. Just my opinion.
as far as I know this style fromJ&S has a mechanical safety lock on them.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Nemosengineer
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 159 Posts

The J&S jack is an excellent investment as it truly is an exceptional tool, it is the rock of gibraltar, extremely stable and no wiggles. At about 2% the cost of the motorcycle that's sitting on top of it, why buy anything else???

: Mike

TinCupChalice (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:46 PM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 637 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis Chwyl
as far as I know this style fromJ&S has a mechanical safety lock on them.
That's not my point.

Quick Reply: Recmmendations on a stand for winter storage and working on the bike?