Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from Slip Ons

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 04:05 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Switching from Slip Ons

On both my Harley's, I always had a set of Vance and Hines slip ons just because I wanted a louder bike without needing to retune. They are currently on my SB and sound much better than stock.

Has anyone started off with the slip ons then moved to Short Shots or Big Radius? Is there a big enough positive difference in sound to make the change and justify the cost?

I can't tell too much by watching YouTube videos, and don't really know anyone locally with either set up. There are times where I wish it was louder, just not sure if it is worth it or how much louder it would really be.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:04 PM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 257 Likes on 199 Posts

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't be able to justify the cost unless I went with a performance 2-1 exhaust (fat cat, thunder header, bassani, etc.). I've heard Vance and Hines doesn't offer a whole lot as far as performance Gains so to me you're paying a lot of money for something slip ons can give you.

Just my opinion.

Old 10-29-2016, 06:45 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I have and you really can't justify the cost. The performance difference is negligible so It's more aesthetics than anything else. I'd stay with the slip's, which is what I'm doing with my new SB.

Old 10-30-2016, 08:50 AM
Torpedo1
Tourer

So even sound-wise it's not worth it? No "wow this sounds so much better"?

Old 10-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

To be honest, I don't notice much of a difference between the Python slip ons I had on my 15 street bob, and the fat cat I have on my 17 lowrider s. The volume is pretty much the same (to me) unless I'm at wide open throttle, then the fat cat is louder. The fat cat offered performance Gaines that I can actually feel, and I do like the tone of the exhaust better, but different baffles/slip ons will give you different tones. I have my Python slip ons in the classifieds if you're interested, but I would never buy a full exhaust just for sound. But I don't have much money either so that could be it too. It's your bike, your money, your artwork. If you want to do it, go for it. But FYI, YouTube videos are really hard to tell how good an exhaust is. Your best bet is to go to bike night and ask what kind of exhaust that is when you hear one you like.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

To be honest, I don't notice much of a difference between the Python slip ons I had on my 15 street bob, and the fat cat I have on my 17 lowrider s. The volume is pretty much the same (to me) unless I'm at wide open throttle, then the fat cat is louder. The fat cat offered performance Gaines that I can actually feel, and I do like the tone of the exhaust better, but different baffles/slip ons will give you different tones. I have my Python slip ons in the classifieds if you're interested, but I would never buy a full exhaust just for sound. But I don't have much money either so that could be it too. It's your bike, your money, your artwork. If you want to do it, go for it. But FYI, YouTube videos are really hard to tell how good an exhaust is. Your best bet is to go to bike night and ask what kind of exhaust that is when you hear one you like.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:07 AM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

How does your bike run with just the slip ons? If it preformed as good as stock i would just keep them. If i felt i needed a tune then i would prolly go a head and do a full stage 1 with a complete exhuast system.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

I didn't feel any performance gains with the slip ons, I just loved the way they sound. You can retune your bike, but I didnt

Old 10-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Nickd2689
Outstanding HDF Member

In my opinion, if you're gonna keep the bike for a while, and you're gonna get a tuner/exhaust, you really should go with one that you'll never want to change again. For me that exhaust was a fat cat. 980.00 and Powervision pro tuner 549.00. And it was worth every ****in penny.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Well, with the slip ons I was getting a lot of decel popping, and not in a cool sounding way. So, I did get a FP3 to get the popping out and it worked great. Then I figured i might as well get an intake so I also have the Big Sucker as well.

All seems to run fine to me currently.

I was considering mainly the Short Shots for a louder sounding bike, but couldn't really tell how much louder they were over my slip ons. Most people around here are older with touring bikes, biker nights are usually dyna less.

Trying to avoid a scenario of spending $500 only to start it up and be disappointed that they are only a hair louder sounding. I mainly want to hear them more on the highway as I hear mostly wind. Plus I don't think they affect performance positively or anything.

Quick Reply: Switching from Slip Ons