Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching from Slip Ons

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 12:40 AM
Mkos1980
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
Wow really? Not any louder? The two I heard today were pretty damn loud.
if I went from stock vh slipons it would have been a huge differance but I put competition baffles in and then the bss. about the same loudness but the bss are far more of a refined sound.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:32 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Read a lot of forums/info on the Big Shots. Seems they are apparently real close to a 2 into 1 system performance-wise because of the way they design it.

If they really are that much better, I might give them a shot (lame pun).

Old 10-31-2016, 10:21 PM
AGAF
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I went from VH slip ons to VH BSS, but at the same time went from stock AC to high flow AC and dynojet - rejet of carb to allow for more fuel with the air mixture. Big difference performance wise and I like the tone of the BSS much better than the slip ons. If I didn't do a complete Stage 1, I don't know that I would spend the money just for exhaust. Personally, I don't care for the short shots. I know a lot of people seem to really like them. To me, they sound too loud and a bit harsh. But that is just one person's opinion. However, if you just want loud, then the short shots are going to be louder than your slip ons for sure.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:56 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Originally Posted by AGAF
I went from VH slip ons to VH BSS, but at the same time went from stock AC to high flow AC and dynojet - rejet of carb to allow for more fuel with the air mixture. Big difference performance wise and I like the tone of the BSS much better than the slip ons. If I didn't do a complete Stage 1, I don't know that I would spend the money just for exhaust. Personally, I don't care for the short shots. I know a lot of people seem to really like them. To me, they sound too loud and a bit harsh. But that is just one person's opinion. However, if you just want loud, then the short shots are going to be louder than your slip ons for sure.
Are you saying if you could do it again, you would have just kept the slip-ons?

Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 PM
AGAF
Advanced

No, I absolutely love the BSS and the difference the stage 1 upgrade made. I was just trying to point out that if I didn't change out the stock AC and do the motor tune work, that I don't know that I could justify the expense of ONLY changing out the exhaust to try and get a better tone. With that said, the BSS is louder and does have a much better tone to me.

Before:

After:

Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Oh, I think we're in the same scenario then. I had the slip ons first, then did the FP3 and Big Sucker.

Old 10-31-2016, 11:52 PM
AGAF
Advanced

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
Read a lot of forums/info on the Big Shots. Seems they are apparently real close to a 2 into 1 system performance-wise because of the way they design it.

If they really are that much better, I might give them a shot (lame pun).
I e-mailed VH about this very thing and I was told that the BSS are very close to their pro pipe on the dyno sheets and that the pro pipe just barely edges out the BSS performance wise. That sealed it for me as I just really like the look of a two into two set up.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:04 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My $0.02.
I have the big radius with baffles - its loud. Not TOO loud, but loud - but it has a drag pipe sound to it compared to a bike with larger ID mufflers than pipes. I tried the TTI's and didn't really see a difference, so went back to baffles. I do like the sound though, but to me its not as DEEP sounding as my wifes bike, which has SE slip ons. It was very quiet so I pulled the fiberglass out and drilled a couple holes. Hers now is deeper than mine, but 1/2 the volume. I made a custom baffle which was just a minimal baffle and a TTI (homemade version) and although I thought it was perfect - loud and deep, she didn't like it and I didn't want to spring for a tune, so for now back to the SE slips ons.

My advice - try pulling the baffles out of yours now and remove the fiberglass (if there is any). Then the next step maybe try a TTI. They are cheap and if you don't like them, don't use them. Sounds like you have an FP3 anyway, so you can tune. One benefit to getting a VH system (if you go that route) they are pretty good about giving you advice for the settings of it (mine is the old version where you program it, no learning or autotune).

that was alot of rambling, but what I'm trying to get at, is the short shorts and big radius are loud, but in my opinion not as deep. My buddies ALL have street glides (shocking, right?) with 4" mufflers and although mine is louder, theirs is really deep sounding, which is what I'd really prefer...So, if you are ok with the looks of yours and just want more sound, play around with what you got. OR watch on the classifieds - ppl are constantly switching things around and posting things for sale for very reasonable prices.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:12 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

I started this thread a while ago but finally decided to pull the trigger on some Big Shots for my birthday. I mainly wanted a louder exhaust, but really liked the looks.

Compared to the slip ons, the tone is so much better with the BS. It has a deeper, louder growling tone. At idle it's about the same as the slip ons, but when you get on the throttle it's much better.

I wasn't expecting much with performance gains but holy hell there's a difference. I wasn't even looking for an increase in power but it was sure there (tuned with FP3).

Just wanted to wrap up this thread for anyone else considering a switch. Very worth it.