Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Rider S: Any options to move gauges to bars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016 | 10:34 PM
DM426
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Low Rider S: Any options to move gauges to bars?

Considering a Low Rider S. Got on one the other day at the local dealer, and it's an interesting bike with a lot of possibilities for customization. Decent engine, dual brakes, etc. But I have to agree with several of the professional reviewers - whoever put those gauges on the tank ought to be killed to death. Seriously.

So are there any options out there yet for relocating them to the bars? Someone on another forum mentioned the possibility of using a setup from a sportster. Anyone done it yet? Pics?

The only thing I've seen so far was half-assed, as all it was was an analog tach and an analog speedo, so you would lose all the other indicators on there like fuel status, cruise control light, gear indicator, etc.

Nice bike, but someone at Harley needs to be bitch slapped for this slice of epic fail. Who the hell wants a tach that forces you have to take your eyes off the road and almost look at your ***** to check? That's worse than worthless.

Sometimes I wonder whether anyone at Harley actually rides these bikes before they start selling them.

Last edited by DM426; 10-19-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-20-2016 | 08:31 AM
Tat2dale
Cruiser

I think "big bear choppers" was working on a kit or has one for sale.
I seen something on Instagram about it.

Old 10-20-2016 | 11:46 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

I agree about not wanting to take your eyes off the road. But it's not like to you have to dwell on it, just a quick glance that takes less than a second. Once you get used to the sound of the motor you won't even need to look anymore. Especially after you bang it off the rev limiter a few times.
Seems like a lot of expense for something that you'll get used to in a short time.

Old 10-20-2016 | 12:42 PM
Foreboding
Intermediate

I put 1200 miles on mine so far and I just don't see it as any big deal. If you stare the gauge down maybe not so good. A glance is like nothing and don't glance when you got a truck in the opposite lane.

Old 10-20-2016 | 03:15 PM
Vonswanko
Road Master

Not an S model, but I did it on my Lowrider. I used the gauge cups from an '05 FXDX. Just had to lengthen the wires for the fuel gauge to the pump. I made my own fiberglass cover for the dash. Pretty simple. And if you watch on eBay you can find the parts pretty cheap.

The following 4 users liked this post by Vonswanko:
08xl1200r (12-22-2019), BelchFire (09-16-2019), Dcashskater (08-03-2019), Nemosengineer (10-23-2016)
Old 10-20-2016 | 04:52 PM
ssleeper
Cruiser

Hardcase Performance & a couple others already have gauge brackets for their risers/bars & it wouldn't be difficult to make wiring extensions if you buy the bare plugs & terminals.

Old 10-20-2016 | 06:48 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by DM426
Considering a Low Rider S. Got on one the other day at the local dealer, and it's an interesting bike with a lot of possibilities for customization. Decent engine, dual brakes, etc. But I have to agree with several of the professional reviewers - whoever put those gauges on the tank ought to be killed to death. Seriously.

So are there any options out there yet for relocating them to the bars? Someone on another forum mentioned the possibility of using a setup from a sportster. Anyone done it yet? Pics?

The only thing I've seen so far was half-assed, as all it was was an analog tach and an analog speedo, so you would lose all the other indicators on there like fuel status, cruise control light, gear indicator, etc.

Nice bike, but someone at Harley needs to be bitch slapped for this slice of epic fail. Who the hell wants a tach that forces you have to take your eyes off the road and almost look at your ***** to check? That's worse than worthless.

Sometimes I wonder whether anyone at Harley actually rides these bikes before they start selling them.
its going down right here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-quetions.html

According to UPS, i have all but wire extensions and a mount. La choppers 1.5" mount ordered...

LA CHOPPERS LA-7390-02B GAUGE MNT FXD TBAR 1.5"BK... not sure if it will work out but, im trying it. The accutronics 1.25" does fit my stock risers... its now in ebay... losses.....

sorry. cant change font size on mobile
should be there when i get back.

​​​​​have guage hole to fill and must build wire extensions i think. Can't find anything online. Will have to get the parts and review wiring diagrams

Last edited by cvaria; 10-20-2016 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-20-2016 | 07:34 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Riders Club Member

It isn't as bad as you think, really. Don't let it be the reason you pass on this bike.

Old 10-20-2016 | 07:40 PM
ssleeper
Cruiser

Since I posted in the linked thread...

I pulled my dash panel this week so send it out to be used as a mold. There's only 3 connections under it:
1) speedo
2) tach
3) fuel tank

The tank actually doesn't look bad w/o the dash panel so you could layup a small piece to cover the fuel pump access as a replacement panel. Choose any number of the bar/riser clamps for gauges in this thread & a piece to mount the gauges. For wiring the ends are watertight plugs; similar to the top right image here http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.c...ctors.html#top it's been a few days since I had the gauges off so check for yourself.

Old 10-20-2016 | 07:43 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Vonswanko
Not an S model, but I did it on my Lowrider. I used the gauge cups from an '05 FXDX. Just had to lengthen the wires for the fuel gauge to the pump. I made my own fiberglass cover for the dash. Pretty simple. And if you watch on eBay you can find the parts pretty cheap.

More detail please

Quick Reply: Low Rider S: Any options to move gauges to bars?