Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins Blackline Shocks from Motorcyclemetal.com Installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:51 AM
Eblank8
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbadpoppa
My ohlins blackline came in an ohlins box that had them snug as a bug sandwiched in by two molded foam slabs with compartments for other parts included. This was bought just this spring 2016. No way my shocks would touch each other even if u tossed them across a room sealed in the box. Bought from fuel moto. Great customer service.
That's the problem with the pop and expand shipping foam. No two packaging will be the same. It works for most, but there is no way for Ohlins to ensure consistency in their packing.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:03 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Here is a proposal. Wrap those shocks up in freaking paper. I think the extra effort in putting some decent packaging would do wonders instead of "Hey this is how I got them, This is what you get Bud" attitude.

The following users liked this post:
PanHeadRich (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:17 PM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by WMX124
Is he though? Or does he just take a sportster shock body and install a dyna valve set-up already made by Ohlins?

If every distributor of Ohlins shocks changes the spring to match rider weight, what additional customization is Howard providing? If it's a premade valve system being installed into an existing shock body, I don't think that qualifies as "Wizard" status.

Maybe Howard could comment on this.

Valid points, and I can see where you're coming form here.

To be clear, my reference to Howard's expertise, or by calling him a suspension wizard was not based on the what he does with the Ohlins, but his overall knowledge of motorcycle suspension, and handling. I believe the re-woking of shocks is a small part in what he does. Shocks, forks, braking systems, I believe that's all part of his business. Maybe calling him a wizard was a stretch, but I truly believe he's one of the most knowledgable in the HD suspension business.

All that said, I have never purchased, nor do I own anything Howard has worked on, so I can't speak of his wok first hand. I have read plenty of reviews (good and bad), and have spoken to people on some of there various services and parts Howard offers, and everyone say basically the same thing.... "He can be an interesting person to deal with, but he knows his $h!t"

Also, to be clear, I completely understand where you are coming from, and can't say its unreasonable.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:37 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by WMX124
Is he though? Or does he just take a sportster shock body and install a dyna valve set-up already made by Ohlins?

If every distributor of Ohlins shocks changes the spring to match rider weight, what additional customization is Howard providing? If it's a premade valve system being installed into an existing shock body, I don't think that qualifies as "Wizard" status.

Maybe Howard could comment on this.
There is way more to damping than you think.. IIRC Ohlins are primarily 2 speed systems. Low speed is nothing more than an orifice like a stock shock. The second speed is a complex series of deflecting shims that control the when the valve opens and what the damping response is based on velocity. There are also 2 sets of valves/ orifices. One for compression one for rebound.. Getting all of that right requires a bit of knowledge / experience.

The following users liked this post:
WMX124 (10-18-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 AM
JoeeJoee
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

I found dealing with Howard a great learning experience. He knows his business. My FXDB is fully adjustable and can be tuned for any road I have come across. Thanks Howard for a super setup. Joe

Old 10-19-2016, 07:22 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,940 Likes on 4,026 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeeJoee
I found dealing with Howard a great learning experience. He knows his business. My FXDB is fully adjustable and can be tuned for any road I have come across. Thanks Howard for a super setup. Joe

This is cool.. Could you expand upon what changes you make for the different conditions?

Thanks.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:34 AM
WMX124
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
There is way more to damping than you think.. IIRC Ohlins are primarily 2 speed systems. Low speed is nothing more than an orifice like a stock shock. The second speed is a complex series of deflecting shims that control the when the valve opens and what the damping response is based on velocity. There are also 2 sets of valves/ orifices. One for compression one for rebound.. Getting all of that right requires a bit of knowledge / experience.

Ok, understood. Much more involved than simply swapping valve assemblies.