Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDL wont start all of a sudden

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:08 PM
ToddFXDL
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDL wont start all of a sudden

So I rode my 2001 CV FXDL from Maine to Kentucky without a single issue. When I got to Kentucky I changed all fluids. I went for a couple rides here and there no problems. I ventured out yesterday and I stopped and shut the bike down to check directions and when I went to re start, it wouldnt turn over. Plenty of cranking power. Battery was 2 days old by the way. I smelled raw gas. Pulled the plugs and they were dry. Front plug was brown and rear plug charcoal color but clean. It just cranks and cranks and cranks. Took apart bottom end of carb and float mechanism seems fine. Thought about vapor lock. Would removing the cap and putting it back on relieve vapor lock? I'm starting to think an electrical issue. Coil? I've checked vacuum lines and inspected wires and I'm just stumped. If someone could walk me through testing the coil I would be very thankful. I'm not very handy with electrical stuff. Thank you, Todd.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:44 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,694 Likes on 2,121 Posts

have you checked to see if you are getting spark?

Old 10-15-2016, 11:47 PM
Ghost_13
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,809 Likes on 3,192 Posts

First, verify the kill switch not engaged

====================

To test the coil:

Pop off a plug wire

Carefully stick a screw driver down into the plug wire, touching the center conductor (metal cap that plugs onto the spark plug)

Position the screw driver shaft close to bare metal / known good ground (not touching - but in close proximity to)

Turn motor over

Coil good - there will be a spark between the screw driver and ground

Do same to the other cylinder

Ghost

Old 10-16-2016, 02:00 AM
ToddFXDL
1st Gear

Thank you. I will let you know what happens

Old 10-16-2016, 02:07 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,986 Likes on 4,177 Posts

Plugs were dry, have you thought about checking gas? Most people commonly refer to turn over as when you first hit the starter. The tank is vented with a hose, not the cap. Is the on/reserve correct? Why did you replace battery?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-16-2016 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:30 AM
ToddFXDL
1st Gear

I took off both ends of the vent tube and it didn't appear as though it was obstructed. I replaced the battery because it was a few years old and didn't seem to be holding a charge very well anymore. I pulled off all the gas lines to make sure gas was flowing through them if thats what you mean. Cross over line. Petcock to carb. The carb is getting plenty of gas. What is an example of something to ground the screwdriver to when looking for spark? Can I use another bare metal screwdriver?

Old 10-16-2016, 04:35 AM
ToddFXDL
1st Gear

And the on/reserve are correct. Thanks for replying btw

Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,986 Likes on 4,177 Posts

Do not remove the plug, pull the wire and attach to a new plug grounded to the head. Do not just leave it dangling (50K of volts needs to go somewhere). Most modern Harleys need the compression check to fire. Long story but the plug can sense it thru resistance. That is also how the spark knock sensor works, so new plugs need to be correct and most of the time require exact Harley replacements.

Old 10-16-2016, 08:29 AM
ToddFXDL
1st Gear

Thanks for the heads up RIPSAW

Old 10-16-2016, 11:48 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

If your plugs are dry, I would immediately suspect that you are not getting gas...If it is not firing but getting fuel, the plugs will be wet. Pull the air filter and look down the throat of the carb and make sure your accelerator pump is working...you should see a squirt when you crank the throttle.

If you have a vacuum activated petcock, make sure it is working...take the fuel line and vacuum line off of the petcock, put another hose on both, put the fuel line in a suitable container and suck on the vacuum line...if it is working, you will have fuel flow.

You can always use an old spark plug to check for spark...just put the boot on and lay it against the cylinder...if it is firing, you will see the spark...or you can stick a screwdriver in the boot and just hold on...if it is firing, you will know pronto.